Installing turf over concrete

I have an 8x8 concrete slab in my backyard where a shed used to sit…

I am considering turfing the area and placing a net behind it…

Does anyone have experience with a project like this? I know I could invest $300+ and get a nice matt but I think installing turf on the entire surface would look much better

any thoughts?

1 Like

Yes turf would look better IMO also. The cost will be significantly more however. You will have to have a barrier between concrete and turf. The best bet may to be just place the turf over the concrete and then add mat on top of that. My worry would be hitting balls down and through to concrete.

2 Likes

That is a good idea. Will look into it

Having the entire thing padded may be prohibitively expensive

2 Likes

I don’t know how big the space is but something like this should do the trick…Probably worth the investmentIndoor/Outdoor 2’x2’ 6 in a box

1 Like

I have the 5x5 country club elite mat and it’s great for hitting a lot of balls and not getting a sore elbow in my experience. Might be a solid idea to throw some budget artificial turf on the larger surface then place something like that on top.

2 Likes

You could try using this stuff as the padding: https://www.garagegymreviews.com/equipment/tractor-supply-3-4-rubber-stall-mats

They recommend it for home gym stuff - it’s basically the same rubber matting that you get at a gym, but at a fraction of the cost. One of the biggest concerns with it is the smell, but if you’re looking at putting it outside anyway then that’s basically irrelevant. If you put turf on top of it then I’d guess it will work out just fine (no guarantees though :slight_smile: )

1 Like