I'm Going to defend Bryson: A dumb thread

It’s a great point…but we do curtail rights for people that smoke or are obese or any number of other things. We no longer allow smoking indoors or even within a certain distance of some buildings…there are certainly places where people who are obese can’t sit. And you are correct…both of those conditions, along with many others also drive up the price of healthcare and insurance.

It’s a complex problem with no silver bullets for sure. I doubt there is any answer that doesn’t alienate someone…it’s tough for sure. Probably a topic I know too little about to publish thoughts online :).

I’ll judge for you; he’s a think-I-know-it-all asshole.

2 Likes

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes (ok, I guess I’m at 20 characters).

And @jon, this is bullshit because it’s curtailing my rights to be terse. :wink:

2 Likes

What papageorgio said. The science is all over the map on this. Vaccinated people are catching different strains of the bug—with higher average viral loads than unvaccinated, FWIW—and he’s not in an age cohort, or with sufficient co-morbidities that he realistically has to worry about it. Not taking the jab is entirely in character with a player as intellectual as he’s been about approaching the game.

Good for him. Good for us dumping this bug worry down to where we’re saying, “Man, this has been a bad viral pneumonia year!”

You’re over 75, otoh? Go get stuck. Despite the heart arrhythmias my 75+ mother has been exhibiting since vaccination.

As soon as I saw the Bryson quotes on not getting vaccinated this morning, I was afraid it was going to hit this thread because I knew eventually this type of comment would come. Nothing against you personally, but this is simply not true. There is as clear of scientific consensus on the vaccine as there is on virtually anything we have ever done. Over hundreds of millions of doses, these vaccines are incredibly effective and very low rates of side effects. I’m sorry your mother is experiencing something, but even if it’s tied to being vaccinated, it is incredibly rare.
Additionally, I think comparing this to a bad pneumonia year is not only disrespectful to those who have died from COVID and their families, but also the brave men and women working in hospitals during surges. There had never been anything comparable to this in their lifetimes.
All that said, this probably isn’t the best forum for this. I’m happy to talk golf with anyone regardless of non-golf opinions, so I’m perfectly fine if we delete all vaccine talk from here, my own thoughts included.
Can’t help myself though - if you haven’t been vaccinated yet by choice, please take a good, long, and honest look at the reasons why and then reconsider it.

6 Likes

Clearly, I’m not a BDC fan at all, but he looked like a lost soul in today’s round. Actually felt sorry for the guy. the dude was totally out of sync.

2 Likes

(Prevemptive warning: the below does not apply to Ryder/President’s cup)

Haven’t read through all of this but here’s my thought - he’s annoying and brings a lot of this on himself. However - there is no reason for everyone to pile on and heckle him nonstop during rounds.

If you don’t like him, don’t cheer from him or let him have it if he hits a bad shot. No need for the constant heckling like he was getting this week.

The only other heckling like this I can remember (and I was pretty young so can’t remember all of it) was with Colin Montgomerie who had some comments that brought it on himself a bit.

Let him play, give him crap for bad shots, don’t clap for good ones. And let’s move on.

6 Likes

100% agree on the on course stuff!

Shane Ryan wrote a good piece for one of the golf magazines (can’t remember GOLF or Golf Digest) about how he followed him and Harris English as they both imploded on the back 9 Sunday, and how the fan behavior towards Bryson was kinda ugly.

Agree that he brings it on himself, and definitely don’t like him. But let’s also be human how about that

2 Likes

There is an Honorable mention category for those who dont go all in and pop their clogs…

In BDC’s defense (although it isn’t really) he is a fairly typical sportsman. Spoilt and self obsessed.

These people talk about pressure when earning millions to play a game they love. Ask a family in poverty what real pressure is. They focus ONLY on what impacts them and are blissfully unaware of what goes on in the wider world. Not shouting ‘fore’ is an example of this, as are his comments on vaccination (he isn’t arguing about risk, just that it doesn’t impact him).

In all honesty, he isnt worth all this attention and time and your point about focusing more on the ‘good guys’ is spot on. BDC…whose he?

If Bryson could just be this without all the baggage he also brings…

4 Likes

I like the guy and how he’s tried to revolutionize how we look at the game, and our own preparation for how to best play it. The 5 minutes to hit a pitch needs to cease though. So does letting your opponents back into a match to secure a halve. I don’t think that’ll be a problem for Sunday…but you never know.

I still think Nicklaus was right in thinking we might want to look at changing the ball for professionals. Or play on 8500 yard courses, whatever.

1 Like

Some of the drivers he was hitting today at the Ryder Cup were awesome. Whatever your opinion of him, you can’t deny he’s entertaining to watch, and 4-ball partner golf is the ideal format for him.

But I really wish I hadn’t read the whole history on this thread – I hear way too much arguing about the vaccine, masks, etc. in real life. I come to this golf forum to get away from all that.

2 Likes

There are already some golf courses down under saying no jab no play. Royal Melbourne say you need at least one jab to tee off.

I am pro-vax, but that is ridiculous. Being outside on a golf course seems like one of the safest place to be and easy to keep your ‘social distance’. And I know I’m contradicting my own ‘keep covid talk out of golf forums’ stance I just made above, but the amount of non-common-sensical and contradictory info that the government agencies put out I think is driving more people to be anti-vax/anti-lockdown.

This isn’t a government policy. Any workplace, business, golf club etc can chose to mandate a vaccine policy here. Govt policy is all healthcare workers and frontline people like police ambo’s and hotel quarantine staff. Qld has said all truck drivers need at least one jab. Vic has said construction site workers, farmers and produce workers etc. Here in Sa we are covid free but we have had 7 covid positive interstate truckers drive through the state. Luckily no cases yet but probably only a matter of time with delta running rampant thru Nsw and Vic and a few cases in Qld. People are challenging compulsory jab policies in the high court. No outcome yet.

1 Like

Seems like it’s going to be a while before we’re through this mess, but I can’t wait till this is over and we’re back to ‘normal’!!!

And back to the Bryson topic, he is exceeding expectations at the long drive championships. Very impressive to see how he is keeping up with the competition with the guys that do long drive every week. And I think he won some fans over with his performance at the Ryder Cup.

Re the long drive comp I only saw a short clip on the nightly news and it looked like he spun right around and was off balance.

I don’t watch long drive a lot, but I think most of those guys spin out like that. As hard as they’re going at it, they’d destroy their left knee if they didn’t.