Iconic Golf Clubs! Can you think of any!

When I saw BH’s Bushwood Driver Cover, I thought that was so much fun. I asked him if he had a the old “Billy Baroo” in his bag too. That got me to thinking about iconic golf clubs and ya gotta put the “Old Billy Baroo” up there. I think it could be a cool offseason thread and see how many iconic clubs are out there that we remember or caused a stir. I mean, Bobby Jones putter “Calamity Jane” comes to my mind, Jack Nicklaus caused one helluva stir using that GIGANTIC MacGregor Response Putter, everyone bought one in back in '85/'86. I tried it myself…ugh! I can name a bunch… but that defeats the purpose of the thread.

1 Like

I have a couple of Wilson 8802s one of which is near perfect. I still use it from time to time but like me, it needs rest. Bought it in a bin at local hardware store here in STL in 1964 for $5. I was once offered a whole set of Pings for it but dumbly rejected that offer.

2 Likes

Henrik Stenson and his Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 3-wood. Graffalloy Blue shaft, of course…

Crenshaw’s Bullseye putter.

The Ping Eye 2.

2 Likes

Stenson is a great one! I’d love to have a go to club like that! Poor guy it broke! cannot re-create it…

1 Like

I never knew he had a Bullseye. But of course, everyone did so why not him. I think what he called “Gentle Ben” was an 8802. Lee Trevino was using an 8802 this past week at the PNC and he did quite often in his prime

2 Likes

I still have one… 8802 was my first putter,

8802 and the same style of heel shafted blade putter is iconic in recent golf years for almost a century now. I had half a dozen of the style, from different era and length/weight. Love to take all of them out but there will be only 18 greens.
with the more recent equipment, the first mass produced metal woods by TaylorMade, the Pittsburg Persimmon, and the H2S2 Callaway. The first inverted cone behind the face plate from TaylorMade Which started the internal weighing game then migrated to external changeable weights.
CAD really speed up the evolution of golf equipment. But, I’ll stop at the Drivers and the Fairway woods even the Hybrids. The recent change for hollowed iron head should never be marketed. The head is too small to hollow-out with the existing material that fit into the price range. The way we use the irons will cause more material failure than the drivers, which reported with large number of failure under the warranty. Ever wonder why we pay so much for a new driver? One of the reason is they OEM have to reserve certain percentage for the predicted warranty replacement during the warranted period ( usually 12 months). We will not see a lot of these modern golf clubs in the future, they’ll be in the landfill.