I was told that this game is a simple game!

What is your view on the statement ? I was told when I started the game that it is really a simple game. Nothing like all the gadgets, numbers, analyzing … Back then we didn’t even have a personal video camera. The most advance tool we had besides our instructor is a full length mirror at the end of the driving range.
My own observation from children confirmed this theory . If we put the child’s hands on the grip correctly and let loose. The kid will find a way soon to hit the golf ball, and very soon, the child will hit beautiful golf shots ( teed up, for the beginning, of course ).
None of the AOA, Spin Rate, Launch Angle…

Are we over thinking ? 300 years ago, the shepherds in Scotland did not. All they know is hit it down the middle , avoiding all natural hazards and hit it in the hole.
I know a few guys who take lessons often and get a new set of golf clubs every/other season. They are smart people, too smart and analyzed this game to death. After decades, their handicap index still hangs around high teens.

Science is to make life easier, to cut down the chase of finding a better game . It is, not to make the game more difficult. However, if one have all the tips and reminders in between the ears while on the golf course, I’d bet one will not have a good scoring game.

3 Likes

The game IS a simple game! What did Robin Williams say? Robin on Golf! “I got an idea for a game! I knock a ball into a Gopher Hole!” I was taught this…Golf is a game that can’t be won or lost, just played. It’s you against the architect and the elements. Hit the ball, find the ball, hit it again! What’s become complicated are people (like me and others) that analyze others abilities to Hit the Ball, Find the Ball and Hit it again. It’s like anything else and any other game…most humans are competitive by nature, we want find a way to hit the ball straight and far and high and to put the ball into the gopher hole in the requisite number of swings or hits. Humans make it complicated!

3 Likes

Really, as MJ said (paraphrasing); hit it, find it, hit it again. Several years ago I had a conversation with my BIL. Joe was lamenting his game, as we all do. Joe was also a “connect the dots” golfer - this club position begets this position begets this position, ad nauseum. I replied, “Joe, just swing the damned club, the positions find themselves.” Yeah, we make it too hard on ourselves.

3 Likes

I want to offer for good bad or indifferent my take on clubs and it’s my opinion having hit alot of stuff…staying on simple…it’s the other stuff that clouds your mind.
Ball: Now that’s everything…you gotta find what’s right for you to maximize your swing tendencies. Ball technology has improved and changed the most and you don’t need to spend $60 a dozen on balls either. But I would go to the Galaxy and try a few!
Putter: for 30 years I used an Original Ping Anser Putter. Last year I changed to a Kia Ma Rossa Model with and insert on the face. Definitely a 100% game improver. I can get the ball rolling on a better line quicker.
Wedges: The technology over the last 10 years has greatly improved my original stock models, Grind and Bounce matched to my imperfections…I have a long way to go with my technique, but I can get some great spin and the differing bounces helped me a lot, the rest is incumbent on me to get confident and practice. I also use tape to adjust until I’m comfortable. I bought a set of CG-12s 7 years ago, they are still pretty good!
Irons: I use the same cavity back irons I used 32 years ago. I like them and strike them better than anything I have tried. Now here’s the rub, I adjust them using tape on the back of the club, I re-tape as needed, Here’s another rub…I re-grip every year or two AND I am now on my 4th re-shaft over the years using TT/DG/S200 shafts. I also have a full back-up set of my irons…I am still using Spalding Tour Edition Redlines…
Woods and Driver: I use a Ladies Tommy Armour 7W 22* with a Regular 47Gr shaft (why? I like it), I use an Adams Boxer18* Hybrid, 1.5" extension and works just like a 5w. My 3w is an SLDR 14* TaylorMade. I hit it pretty good. If it is a windy day I swap that out with an Adams 12* Tight Lies. Now Driver: Here’s what I’ll tell you find what works for you. I have like like 5 of them. Here’s the funny thing I have hit new ones and older ones. My older models are mostly ADAMS Speedline, Fast10, 9088UL, 9064ls, TaylorMadeR7 and SLDR-9*. They are all 9.5* except the 9064 is 8.5* but has a Harrison SAGA 46" shaft. That bombs the ball! I’ve taken them to the Galaxy, The best new Driver I hit was the PING 425. like $500. I averaged 7 more yards with that…I bought the 9064 in almost perfect shape for $39. Is that worth the 7yards…??? Nope. The Driver technology has changed immensely over the last 12 years but pretty much anything within the last 10-12 years for us mere mortals will deliver what we need! You don’t need to drop a ton!
Shaft on your irons is everything, I honestly don’t think you’ll find a ton of difference from the cavity backs of yester-year, I mean the Hogan Edge is one of the best clubs you’ll ever hit…Grind and bounce on wedges is everything, inserts or grooves on the putter will help you roll it, The TOUR…well all of them have clubs specifically specked to them and they get PAID for advertising clouding everyone’s brains…It actually is that simple…LOL

1 Like

Pretty much an insight from your experience and spot on on the issues. The marketing is geared toward those who wish to be hooked.
It is a simple game.
I had observed the recent trend of seeking a quick solution to any issue in golf or otherwise. Many just want it as simple as ordering online and when the box arrived at the front door, boom, problem solved.
Golf, is not something could be bought entirely. Of course, the lessons and the equipment will change the game, however, the golfer has to put in the effort and dedication ( life long task, BTW), to infuse the learning from the lessons and to utilize the new equipment to the fullest.
The chase to reach one’s potential, limited by physical make up, is to propel the golf ball. After one learned to propel the golf ball, all there left is to manage the golf course.

A lot of us bought the tools but failed in learning how to put the tools to good use. There is no short cut. But, that’s half the fun.

I had given up on chasing the equipment, and I totally agree with your feeling of the new golf clubs had not had any significant improvement and innovation in the last decade. My current gamer with the driver is an Adams Speedline Tech 8.5 degree, I made 5 shafts at different length and weight to go with this head. Had the itch to get this driver after witness Bernhard Langer duel it out with Freddy Couples one year at a local Tournament ( think it might have been for the senior Open in 2010 ). And a SLDR at 10.5 after I had the surgery of my left forearm.
I have quite a few sets of Ben Hogan Apex and the first edition of the Edge. A few sets of Adams hybrids.
The only equipment I change often is the golf ball. Mainly for the price drop on premium lines. I could get used to any premium golf ball in a hurry. The part to get used to is the spin around the green. No Biggy.

s

2 Likes

Simple for some, hours of give ‘n take for others. ie. give: errant drive into deep rough on a hole; take: 20’+ low percentage putt that miraculously drops.
What does the rule of “the 3’s”. look like in golf?
3 face control blunders, 3 fats, 3 thins, 3 chip/pitch miscues, 3 poor aim and 3 putting boo boos. It’s either recover from 18 glitches or play off a high handicap. Sometimes 2-3 rear up on 1 hole, other times the 3’s are 2’s (that’s a good round).
CAT 1 golfers probably see it as 0.3’s, mid-handicappers 1.5’s (a 3 divisible) so on and so forth. I guess it boils down to your definition of simple.

2 Likes

We’re certainly not unrealistically expecting everyone to golf like the single /plus digit.
You have a point there, but for the “average” weekend warrior, in order to enjoy golf, they have to be able to propel the golf ball forward in a consistent manner to enjoy and endure in this game.
How many do you know who quite the game because "it’s just too demanding ". To promote and to grow the game is great and I’m always for that. However, in recent years, the promo had turned into focusing on the short term growth for the industry.
I have known quite a few gave up on this game because after years of buying new drivers and gears, taking lessons, their game loitering at the same old spot. Unless someone view it as an escape of their daily grinds, the unrealistic expectation boosted by the for profit OEM industry has been the cause of those leaving the game.
Sure we all hope to golf like those professional we see each week on the broadcast. Fantasy is one thing, golf is a show me what you got on the first tee.
A simple way for everyone to be able to propel the golf ball forward , to have some fun, is as simple as starting the fundamentals correctly.
You are correct in the high mountain to climb to be in the elite 5% of all golfers, breaking 100,90,even 80 is not too hard. But getting the index below 5 needing a lot of dedication. Whether someone is happy holding their 15 index and enjoy their weekend on the golf course or someone spend their lifetime chasing the dream are not the same.
It is simple to get to the level of a decent golfer, almost anyone could do this with limited effort. Trying to get to the higher level will only be attempted by the
“golf nuts” who chase the dream and understand there is very slim chance of getting there.
Totally agree on your “depending on how one interpret , simple”. It is simple, if a child could pick up a golf club and be adequate of propelling the golf ball if shown the correct way. Of course, that child will not be on the PGA Tour tomorrow.

1 Like

Do you/have you sharpened the grooves in your irons over the years?

2 Likes

No I have not sharpened the grooves. I have a tool, i’ve never used it. I don’t like to mess with the faces of my clubs too much, if at all ever… But on my 60 and 54 I probably could, not like I’m playing any sanctioned events anymore…I just would feel funny about it…I still get pretty good action on my wedge shots if I strike it correctly. Plus sharpened grooves will rip up your golf balls fer certain!

1 Like

I tried sharpening the grooves on my wedges, with a hand-held tool. Results were decidedly meh. I didn’t notice a difference in spin or flight, and since my wedges were new-to-me, they probably needed sharpening.

Utilizing a braced fixture, and a mini-mill, would probably work out better. I don’t recommend you spend any time with a hand-held groove-sharpening tool, except maybe a Dremel with a 1/16 engraving bit.

2 Likes

Hand held “groover” annually for my PW, SW GW LW. MJ is right; I was too exuberant in my first go at it and my Wilsons looked like they went through a box grater.

3 Likes

@MJTortella @Jayjay @kenk - thank you all for the responses. I used a handheld tool once on a set of wedges I bought used…yeah it really tore up the golf balls. I don’t play tournaments, so wasn’t super concerned with conforming or not.

My main question was for those of you using the same irons for more than 10 years…if/when you re-sharpened the grooves. My irons are still fairly new…4 years old, so I’m not even considering re-grooving. But I am curious on the affect grooves might have after 10-15+ years of average to above average use…on irons…not wedges.

2 Likes

I have a few sets from the 70’s and the 80’s. Yes, the grooves are not brand spanking new and does not provide the spin as when it was new. I try to keep them clean between the shots and clean the head once in awhile with a nylon brush , water and soap.
The dirt and sand caught in the grooves will cause most of the damage.
No, I have never use the hand held groove sharpener. Tempted but, seen some of the guys ruined their soft forged irons. If I even want to refurbish a set of old irons. I might consider sending it in for a machined re-grooving and re-chroming. Although was advised that don’t do it unless absolutely wish to do that. It’ll never be the same spec as the original.
My excuse is to get new set (s) to rotate the iron sets, so not any one set will get all the wear and tear. That’s why I have more sets of irons to fill out the weekly rotation for months.

2 Likes

My irons, including PW, GW and SW are 10 years old. I freshen them up every year. I have never regrooved anything 8I and above. My SW, Hogan Special, is the first club I owned, so it’s pushing 50 years old. Annual facelifts do it wonders.

3 Likes

10,000 foot level, I’d think it’d depend on the hardness of the steel comprising the face. Which is likely (absent things like nitriding/“diamond” CVD/PVD processing) the same steel making up the clubhead. And if that follows general rules-of-thumb, I’d think it more of an issue for forged heads vs cast. Aren’t we cautioned to check the lie/loft on forged heads every year/other year, as impact can cause the heads to creep out of spec?

It’d be a neat Trackman test, to compare identical model used clubs vs new, and see if spin changes.

3 Likes

Air density might play a heavy role in 10,000’ above sea level.
Have many friends golf at high altitude and they say the golf ball travels farther comparing to close to sea level by as much as 15%.
Be interesting to see your follow up on the trackman. Also be interest to compare the numbers from the trackman to actual performance on the golf course.

Moses, St. Peter, and Satan were out on the first tee.
Moses tees it up, swings, rockets it down the fairway onto the green and then it rolls right into the hole … hole in one.
Satan tees it up, swings, rockets it down the fairway onto the green and then it rolls right into the hole …
hole in one.
St. Peter tees it up, slaps it into the forest where it hits a tree trunk, bounces out onto the cart path, rolls over the fairway pond, into the bunker, out of the bunker, onto the green and then it rolls to the hole, rims the hole twice, then a squirrel runs onto the green and kicks it in … hole in one.

Satan looks at St. Peter and says, “Damn the miracles dude,… let’s just play the damn game.”

1 Like

LOL ! thanks, that was funny !

1 Like

The very first ace I ever witnessed was on a 156 yd Par 3. I have 3 aces myself, I’ve seen about 20 of them throughout the years in the groups I’ve payed in. Anyways, My man did not hit a good shot, as a matter of fact he rifled his ball about 30 yds right and hit the oak tree (you know where I’m going with this right) bounces down on an angle onto the cart path, bounces very hard onto a railroad tie in front, bounces onto the green and rolls it into the cup. Simple Game! :grin:

2 Likes

Hole In One with luck involved.
The first H-I-O I witnessed locally was at a municipal golf course, with this “new golfer” in out group. It was the old #17 ( they flipped the front and the ack nine to speed up the pace) 143 yards slightly up hill with bunkers on the left front and the right side. The group consisted of all 4 walked on singles. This guy told us that he just started golfing less than a year ago and please, forgive him if he could not play well.
We assured him that we’d love to have him if he kept up the pace and didn’t step on someone else’s putting line.
Anyhow, 2 of the 3 hit the green before he stepped up and hit a shot landed short onto the front edge of the green and disappeared.
As we walked up to the green, the course Marshall was parked behind the green and asked who was the last on the tee; then he pointed to the cup and said that he waited for us because he saw the golf ball went in as H-I-O.
The newbie was excited, but never offered the Marshall a drink or for that matter any of us in the group. I’d thought even a can of soda ( back then was 50 cents from the vending machine ). Obviously, no one taught this guy the tradition and the etiquette.
I had never had a H-I-O in 4 decades of golf. quite a few times came within inches but no cigar.
It is a simple game if we understand the basic of what and why. Only took me more than a couple of decades as weekend warrior to figure that out,

2 Likes