Hudl Technique Video Recording App

For those of you that like to record yourself golfing, hudl technique is a great app to add to your phone and record with. There are so many options on speed of playback. You literally can go second by second or playback in 1/8 time. It’s really great to see the details of all of your swing mechanics, if you care to break them down. I’ve included their webpage. The download and app are free:

4 Likes

This is awesome thanks! I usually just use the camera on my phone and if I forget to slo-mo it I’m screwed

1 Like

Yeah, it’s pretty awesome. What’s really cool, is you can add marathon and reviews to the swing. Lines and circles to see the angles that are good and bad. It’s pretty great.

I just downloaded the app and can’t wait to try it. Thanks

1 Like

Yeah man, enjoy!!! It’s a neat app.

I’ve done similar swing videos of myself on my Samsung phone (Hudl is available only for Apple devices). One word of caution, 99.9% of us do NOT know enough to analyze our own swing mechanics properly. We’re likely to see a fault, but that’s likely to be a symptom rather than a problem in itself. It takes a really trained eye to diagnose the underlying cause, and to help a player correct that underlying cause.

I wasn’t aware it was an apple only app, probably because I have an apple. Hahahaha. Yeah, I agree, I definitely don’t believe a person who isn’t trained to analyze a swing should be doing that on their own. My golf coach and I get great data together from it. I just like to use it when I’m alone as a way to record my swing and watch it in frame by Fran or ultra slow-mo.

You’re doing exactly the right thing. I think we can learn to evaluate our success in making a specific change, when your instructor isn’t there to verify that you’re doing things correctly. Changes feel weird, seeing the right things happen on the video helps you accept that weirdness as progress in the right direction.

1 Like

Hi all

If you’re looking for an Android (or Windows) alternative try V1 Golf at:

Hope that helps

1 Like

Hi Dave. My big fault, right now, is that once I complete my shoulder turn I arms don’t stop. They keep drifting and I cross the line, all broken down by a competent teaching pro. Work hard on it for a week w/o filming it, but thought I fixed it until I used my iPhone and watched it. My feels were not real and video proved it.
Your correct, I can’t look and know what to work on, but have what IT should look like and I can get there with practice and video.

2 Likes

Oh my word this app is awesome. I recently did some video work at the range. Recorded practice swing and hitting the ball with 7 iron. My swing is uncannily exactly the same until the downswing gets going. My hands move too fast, body gets stuck, I’m face on to the ball at impact, chicken wings etc etc. Did a screenshot showing how far ahead my club is when I’m in front of the ball (L image) compared to practice swing (R image). Wow looks like my real swing is twice as fast, but it’s not. Backswing is identical. It all comes apart in the downswing.

This is my number one goal for 2021 - stop rushing the downswing to improve my ball striking.

1 Like