How To Handicap A Buddies Trip

I’ve been organizing a buddies trip for 16 years now. It’s grown from 4 guys to 8, and possible 12 for 2022. We divide into two teams (teams drawn at random) and play a Ryder Cup-like format over four rounds. For a long time, we have enjoyed the following format:

Round 1-3: Fourball (best ball) match play
Round 4: Singles match play

On occasion, we will mix up Round 1 to include best ball match play with a shamble, Pinehurst, modified alternate shot, etc. But either way, the first three rounds is with a partner. The final round is solo.

We have never handicapped the event. Why? Because I am the only one with an actual GHIN index. We try to pair Singles match-ups to average scores over the trip, but I’m looking for the best - and easiest - way to handicap the event, making it more fair and equitable for everyone. If I had to guess, I’d say the handicaps would range from an 11 (I’m 11.2 currently) to about a 25. Here’s the other catch…we have a few of us around 11-15, a few around 16-18, and then one guy who’s about a 25. I want him to feel like he has a chance on singles, but also to help his partner the other rounds. As it is, he never does.

Suggestions? Thank you!

You could ask everyone to either get a handicap or keep track of their scores/differentials. It’s a simple calc so if you have some scores from everyone, you can assign a handicap.

3 Likes

Yep, ask them how many rounds of golf they have played this year and have them send you the scores

In my experience, someone has to take the lead on this and provide a handicap for the ne’er do wells!

1 Like

As pointed out, anyone can get an HCI now, not just club members so that should be straight forwards for them to do. Alternatively just agree between you all the adjust if need be, just dont let it become a thing that spoils your fun.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. So if the guys send me their average scores from this summer, how do I handicap? For example, I think my average score is 86-87, but I’m an 11.2 Index. Basically, I just want to know for each round, how to properly gives strokes to the higher handicappers. Thanks again!

Have them send you the scores, course ratings, and slopes. From there, you can calculate their handicap very easily.

1 Like

Some trips we have a rolling handicap when we hve people who dont golf much or are more interested in fun/fairness than following rules exactly/winning.

We would lock the handicap one week before event.
Than after each round the top 2 and bottom 2 for example have handicaps adjusted. So the overall winner would get a payout of 2x and have handicap reduced by 2. 2nd place gets payout of x and handicap reduced by 1. Last place pays 2x but gets handicap increased by 2 for next round. 2nd to last place pays x and gets handicap increased by 1.

This prevents one guy who grew up playing and has skill level of 5 but three kids later is a rusty 15 from remembering how to play after first round and winning everything. Also if someone has a handicap that is extremely optimistic, it prevents them from being an anchor.

I agree with other comments that actual handicaps are far better to use but some groups the camaraderie is as important as the golf.

Hope you have fun!

1 Like