How much gap are you willing to tolerate?

Basically how big of a distance gap between clubs are willing to accept?

For the longer clubs I’m willing to accept gaps of upwards of 30 yards. However, once I get down to mid/short irons I do not like seeing gaps more than 15 yards. When I’ve tested new irons, I’ve found it quite difficult to get close enough gappings in this part of the bag. Often the difference between the 9-iron and PW will be closer to 20 yards.

Irons are generally about 10-12 yards for me. Right now my wedges are 20+ (90/115/135) but looking to adjust that next season.

If you don’t mind me asking, what lofts are your wedges?

Right now I’m 58* (90 yd), 52* (115), PW in line with set (135). Will likely try to get to point of 90/105/120/135 by adding a wedge (48 to 50* likely) and adjusting loft on the 52 to 54ish. May come out to 90/110/125/135 which would be fine too. I like going 3/4 with PW but gets tricky trying to go down to 50/60% at times to cover the 115 to 135 gap since the 115 is max with no wind/slope or fear of spinning it too much. Tend not to hit on shots over 110 too often.

1 Like

Interesting, I have the same setup (46-52-58), but I’d say my distances are closer to 105-120-135.

I can get mine a litttle further in summer for sure but try not to max our wedges too often since I am comfortable taking something off them. Just have a little too much gap I’d like to take out. Plus I have room at top end where I have room to add a wedge.

Also my 58 is low bounce so it can dig and the harder I go at it the higher risk of a chunk

I’m in a tough spot with my wedges right now and it could wind up impacting my whole bag. I had my gapping down with a 45* PW and then 50*, 55*, 60*

My problem now is that I have new Cleveland RTX Zipcores to test in 56* and 60* (I know it’s not something I can really complain about). My gap between PW and SW is a bit too big there, but I don’t know if I want to purchase another zipcore to fill the gap.

Frankly, I really want to start playing with 11 clubs max as my usual game to make walking easier at my club, so I should probably just practice being more versatile with my shots.

Can always bend them as I plan to do (and I’ll add one). I’ve been told only to add loft on bending wedges as it’ll add a little bounce and going the other way can be tricky.

5 iron through LW - 10 to 12 yards. 3 wood through 4 hybrid - 15 to 20 yards.

Knowing your carry/total distances and managing your gaps is paramount.

4W-3h it’s 18 yards off the deck - I never go 100% off the deck.
3h-7i it’s 12 yards (carry)
7i-LW it’s 10 yards (carry) plus 3 distances per wedge

My gapping is junk right now…

I think you’ll need to remove more outliers to get a fairer assessment of gapping.

1 Like

This is probably accurate, but what I found interesting was how much more confidence I had with my 7 and 8 iron than any other club in the bag…

My current set of irons is slapped together with used heads and shaft pulls… I’m contemplating a new set of irons right now… (literally right now… it’s 4am and I can’t sleep)