How much does driver fitting actually help?

Hi guys,

I’ve finally seen years of hard work pay off this year, bringing my handicap from a 22 to a 13 this season (many mid 80’s rounds finally). My weakness is the tee shot. I average 0.5 fairways a round (yikes). I’ll hook one shot, then try to weaken my grip, and push the next one. On rare days, I’ll have a consistent baby draw and those are the days I can score.

I’d imagine this is due to technique issues, and not so much driver related, based on the good days having a controlled ball flight. I’m playing an R15 and swapped in an extra stiff Matrix shaft (a swing coach I was seeing recommended going to x-stiff). I would be willing to shell out the money for a fitting if I thought it would fix the issue, but it seems to me if I can hit the driver straight on some days, then it’s likely technique. Is this a fair assumption?

2 Likes

If you are AVERAGING .5 fairways a round, then it’s PROBABLY technique (and changing your grip mid round isn’t a good idea).

However, you mention you’re playing an extra stiff shaft which just seems wrong. My swing speed with driver is over 110 and I’m not playing extra stiff. Maybe there’s an extra stiff that would work for me but I wasn’t fit into one. Don’t know your swing speed, but my hunch is extra stiff isn’t right for you.

I’d say get a lesson first. The pro can probably tell you if the set up of the club is wrong (likely the case) and probably get a few pointers to get a little more consistency. It’s very hard to get a good fitting without having a consistent swing.

2 Likes

Congrats on dropping that HCP!!

2 Likes

Definitely work on the technique first. As your mechanics change, your fitting specs will as well. Better to work on your swing first, then spend the $$ to get a driver that works with your new, better swing.

3 Likes

I agree with the rest, erratic shot shape leading to missed fairways is probably (mostly?) a swing issue. Your descriptions lead me to think that you’re generally an in-to-out swinger, and your big hooks and straight pushes are a function of the clubface being closed or open to the clubhead path. You should get some instruction to improve your mechanics as a first priority.

Surprisingly, I play an X shaft, with a clubhead speed right around 100 mph or just under. I ended up with that through a fitting, and this particular X shaft optimized my spin a little better, so was worth losing 1 or 2 mph clubhead speed. I agree that its an unusual combination for me, and may not be right for @Cowabunga, but clubfitting can lead to some surprising results.

2 Likes

It’s 100% essential if you want to get better off the tee. I’ve always been a long hitter and pretty accurate, but my Ping G400 had lost its way a little. I went into Club Champion and an hour and a half later had a setup that was giving me 23 mph more ball speed, about 35 yards (not exaggerating), and way way tighter dispersion.

It was expensive. But it was so so worth it.

3 Likes

Don’t disagree - the issue is first consistency in the swing. my point was that some of the consistency could be driven by an X Stiff shaft that is no where close to a good fit. A lesson would probably identify this quickly and if needed can start using a demo driver for the rest of the lesson to see what the true swing looks like and can then work into a fitting.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I do have an in-to-out swing path. I worked for a long time to get rid of an out-to-in path, and I think I eventually over-did it. My plan is to work in the offseason to correct this.

I worked with a coach on Trackman during the off-season a couple years ago. The Trackman numbers are what made him suggest moving from stiff to x-stiff. My swing speed is 107mph so it’s not in that extra stiff range, but he still thought it would help. My best drives of the year were 295 yds, but that was certainly not the average. Average around 265-275 yds when hit straight (which also wasn’t the average)

3 Likes

There is so much variability among shafts that saying “an extra stiff would help” is hard to really say. There are extra stiffs that are performing like stiff shafts and vice versa (as dave and I have encountered).

Bottom line is unless you’re swinging somewhat consistently, it’s hard to get a good fitting. Practice a bit with the same grip (not changing to try to correct something) and then get a lesson based on what feels “comfortable.” Once you’ve processed that lesson and feel good, then consider a fitting.

Only adjustment to that would be if when you get a lesson they say the fit of your current driver is a big problem, have them let you try something so you can take a lesson with a reasonable club so you can get a proper baseline.

2 Likes

Can’t argue with anything previously said.

I can add, having been fitted this summer for a driver that the cost and experience is worth it.

Its fitted to you and your swing (caveat if you’re training to change swing then hold off). A fitting also gives you that confidence that the club is right and you can swing with confidence.

Eitherway, at any stage fitted clubs are better than off the shelf but maybe use money on lessons first.

yes, Yes, YES! Go for a fitting. Congrats on cutting 9 strokes.
Many good club fitters will throw in :30 to 1 hour lesson prior to fitting. That helps them determine lie, loft, shaft length & flex and of course the brand that suits you best. Go well stretched, because you’ll possibly be hitting 50+ balls per demo club.
Watch a couple of THESE to get a feel what it’s like.

1 Like

I too am going to chime in here. I got fitted for a driver about 3 years ago when I bought my first set of clubs and was fitted into the Ping G400 SFT (straight flight technology). Since that fitting my swing has changed, A LOT. I am still swinging that club but with a different shaft than the stalk alta that came with it, both stiff shafts but feel completely different. I got fitted for that new shaft about six months ago. I am now hitting my driver poorly again, as I am working towards the end of my swing change. I was recently fitted again for a driver and am moving into the Callaway Mavrik Max with a 65 gram HZRDS smoke. I have never hit driver as well as I hit that thing, puts my Ping G400 to shame. So from this guy (11.1 hdcp), absolutely it makes a difference. I was losing at least four shots a round off of the tee because of hazard or OB. While demo’ing the Callaway Mavrik, I didn’t have one penalty and only missed two of 10 fairways that I played driver on. The misses were small and didn’t result in too much trouble.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @Bh18.

1 Like

I highly recommend the fitting. If we wait until our swing is perfect, it will never happen.

2 Likes

To be clear I wasn’t saying wait til the swing is perfect since that won’t happen.

The original comment of not hitting fairways at all + 2 way miss is going to be hard to fit (especially now with the drivers with adjustable weights, etc).

2 Likes

Totally understood. My original thinking is I need to get rid of the massive hook that occasionally turns to a push when I tinker before getting fit. I was fit for irons, and my understanding is a well fit club will tighten dispersion and perhaps add some distance. I think I need to work on maintaining spine angle and not loosing posture, and perhaps get my swing more neutral and not in-to-out. After that, on to the fitting. Thanks for the feedback, all.

1 Like

It’s up to you, and it sound like you aren’t a year round golfer… so getting fit tomorrow isn’t a huge priority.

As a retired shaft nerd, I love the old matrix black tie, but they famously had some issues towards the end with consistency… depending on which shaft you got, that might not be a great shaft… I have a tour issue none that I love, though… just depends on the age and source!

My personal path was to try stuff on my own, but various shafts online and sell what I didn’t like and keep what I did… I may have $500 in shafts in my house… probably could have gotten fit! But I enjoyed the search and found doing my own research and trying things to be quite enjoyable.

Over that time, I have worked on my path and improved my swing… one of the things that got me to the range was trying new shafts!

The r15 is five years old… nothing wrong with looking at upgrades. You can get fit, for yourself or wait until you are swinging “better”… all three have positives and negatives… you are unlikely to buy a bad new clubhead, and shafts are easy to change.

One of the biggest factors in my swing is how much the shaft weighs… if I go below 70 grams, I’m in trouble. You might have a similar equipment issue that’s adding to your woes.

Get on a launch monitor with a ton of options and go have fun… if you see noticeable improvement with something and it feels better… consider getting fit.

1 Like

I’m jealous, I would love to try out a bunch of shafts like that at my own leisure. Part of the probelm with fitting will be exhaustion.

You mentioned something that’s a great point, the weight of the shaft. The one I’m gaming is the Matrix Speed RUL Z 60TX A-Type Tour X-Flex. It’s a 60g shaft I believe, and like you I prefer the feel of a heavier shaft, as it better replicates the feel of an iron. Perhaps by going to a heavier shaft I may be able to stop seeing my swing change so much.

1 Like

@Cowabunga - I found a driver fitting helped massively. Also the fitter gave me tips on my technique. I Hit 2 x 275yd drives on first round, 327yd on my second round with the new club. Love it and highly recommend fitting now. BTW I play off 19.5 and put off fitting for years believing I wasn’t good enough to be fitted.

I wrote about my fitting experience:

3 Likes

A good fitter will recognize the fatigue and either have you come back or give you time to rest and recharge. My dad did a whole bag fitting with my guy at club champion and they split it up between three days at no additional charge.

1 Like