How Much Better are the Newest Drivers?

Jason is great. I had dealings with him through Diamond Tour and Hurricane and he used to visit freegolfinfo back in the day. Always fantastic customer service if he is involved.

I wouldn’t mind the Carolina’s maybe. I have some family down there and obviously it’s a longer golf season. My youngest is currently a sophomore in high school and my oldest is graduating college so I can likely relocate soon. My youngest currently takes all her classes online and I’m not sure she would mind moving and continuing that lol. I like New England, but I just have no love for the cold. I have Raynauds like my dad and my hands and feet get cold easily. It’s hard for me to golf when it’s 50 because my hands are frozen.

I think I’m going to do another driver fitting soon. I was fitted into my Rogue a few years ago and I doubt I can gain much if any distance, but I don’t care for the sound…and I just have that “itch” lol.

1 Like

Ha, I enjoy the fitting process… it’s fun to talk equipment with people who are passionate about it…

I have a preference for the “smaller” companies, but on drivers I still like the major oems (no offense, Jason!)… I like the looks of the srixon driver and have gamed a number of cobras over the years. I still have vague plans to buy a used mizuno st200g (I think that’s last years low spin model) but the used market is insane right now.

Seems like it’s a good year for drivers, but I’m not sure you’ll find something much better than the rogue!

Yeah I was always a component guy building my own stuff. Golfsmith, Golfworks, Wishon, etc. Rarely had OEM stuff in my bag. It’s hard to keep up with shafts though and trial and error is expensive so I found a fitter I liked and I mainly use him now. Last night I picked out my wedges in 10-15 minutes and then we spent 45 minutes just talking club design. I liked some other drivers like M6 and Mavrik better, but they didn’t work any better. He said I might be swayed by this year’s Callaway so I’ve got a time slot lined up for 2 weeks from now. Can’t wait for better weather!

1 Like

Actually it’s encouraging…but I think even my newest clubs are 2006 or so. I’m not sure what made a great difference between 2000 and now, either. Any info or place to look it up appreciated. Game improvement clubs were made for people like me!

1 Like

If you got a new driver every year fit for you I doubt very many people would notice differences. It’s when you go 4-5 years, swing change, etc that you’ll get something that’s a better fit. Not likely to be the technology in a small gap. If you’re waiting 10 years then I’d say you’ll get some tech bump (likely spin control).

2 Likes

The hard part about golf equipment is there is no standard by which to measure… Here are the places I think you might see improvement:

Driver and Woods: Probably some forgiveness to be gained, but biggest area will likely be newer, light shafts… faster usually means farther, so you could pick up some yards with lighter shafts.

Hybrids: Some gains in COR and thus distance… just depends if you want to buy a fancy new hybrid… might make sense if you consider

Distance Irons: I think this is probably the biggest area of improvement for clubs… the higher COR irons will go farther… floating faces, speed foam, fairy dust… it all has different marketing, but at the end of the day, the ball comes off the face hotter (they also have done more to move weight around, so it’s easier to launch the ball). You don’t have to run out and by new irons, but if they are having a demo day near you, 100% try some out… Once again, the lighter shafts are probably going to get you the most distance, but the new faces will certainly help.

That’s what I’d consider for you, at least… I’d start with irons and see if you can pick up distance… if you start hitting your irons farther than your hybrids, then you have to get new hybrids… which will lead to new woods and finally a new driver… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I play a not-quite-antique Ping G400 driver. Bought it for $40 from Play It Again Sports. Had it regripped, but otherwise, for an old driver, it just suits my swing. I like it, my instructor likes my swing with it, so no complaints.

Instructor had me test drive a handful of new technology drivers, and I saw very minor improvement ( couple of yards) with the M6 and the Epic Flash. He saw no reason to “upgrade” until the Ping is on its last legs.

3 Likes

G400 for $40 is an insane bargain… I’d love to find a G400 head for $40.

1 Like

Thanks for that, I’ve been relying on my hybrids, irons are 1990s era, would like something hotter than my old #4, have a #2 hybrid but it’s not very new either and could be better. Will be trying some newer irons! You also addressed a question I’ve had for a while - heavier or lighter clubs, which work better.

1 Like

Get it done! If something doesn’t sound right when talking to a fitter, come here and ask.

OEMs have been finding ways to add distance into woods, hybrids and irons for a bit… It’s getting close to maxed, so you should be good to buy a set for the next 10 years… The RBZ was the first popular 3 wood with a “hot” face… I believe it came out in 2010-12…

2 Likes

Utterly resurrecting an old thread but … I would like to buy some distance off the tee !!

I play an original RBZ Tour @ 9 degrees with a stiff shaft. (Circa 2012).

Went for a driver fitting and gained 4 yards with a Sub-Zero Epic Flash. Stock shaft.

Decided that was not worth over £450 !!

So, recognising I need another fitting, my question is: do / can upgraded shafts make a significant distance improvement ? (Will determine where I go for fitting)

Grateful for any input,

Cheers.

3 Likes

Short answer? Yes. It’s not necessarily shaft or head making the difference individually, however, but how they can work together with your swing tendencies and preferences. Also, the best fitting might not just be about the distance, but the reliability and ball flight characteristics that will best suite the game you want to play. That said, if you go into a good, brand agnostic fitter (like True Spec, etc.) and tell them you’re looking for more distance, they’ll probably be able to find some. Be prepared for the investment though, both in the fitting cost and recommended product. Be honest about how much you’re willing to spend and expectations of increased performance and a good fitter will tell you what’s going to be feasible.

I think they have gotten better, but mostly with forgiveness. I was playing the Callaway Rogue until recently as other newer drivers didn’t outperform it until this year. Pretty much every new driver I demoed this year, I found to be more forgiving as well as providing me a bit more yardage.

I think some of that was because I found I could hit a 45.5" driver and the Rogue was only 44.5". I ended up trading the 10* Rogue in for a 9* Epic Max LS, but I got similar results with the new Titleist and Ping drivers.

Oddly enough on the launch monitor indoors I got nearly identical results with the older Rogue, a Mavrik Max, Epic Max LS, Titleist Tsi2 and Ping G425 and a Ping G400. On the course though the newer Max LS, Tsi2 and G425 were all a good 10 yards longer.

my opinion on the subject goes like this. I purchased and tested several drivers. Ping G425, TM SLDR, M3, M4, EPIC Max. Didn’t make one darn bit of difference at best I could “crank” one up to 205 Carry, 225 Total Distance. I finally broke down and had a pro Dx my swing, then I recorded my swing. My grip had become too weak, I was not rotating properly, I was taking the club WAY too far on the inside, I was lunging at the ball, my ball position was poor, the downswing was a complete mess and any stored energy was gone by “5pm”, I was no longer pushing into the ground with my legs, my launch angles were between 8* and 10* (you want like 13* and that’s where I’m at now)…I spent 3 months rebuilding a swing that I knew I had. In January my Swing Speed was around 85-87mph. I guess that’s what was supposed to be acceptable to 62 yo male. I am using an ADAMS 9088 UL 9.5 Stiff shaft Driver (I purchased on EBAY for $50 it was never used by the owner)…it’s 10 years old. On Saturday, my swing speed ranged from 96-100mph, Distance avg 252 with a long drive of 267. It’s not the club…maybe for tour guys equipment makes a difference…for us look at yourself first!

1 Like

My goodness, the newest drivers feel insanely light. While picking up extensions and lead tape, I picked up a Ping 425 Max from the rack and took a few practice swings. Like swinging air compared to the 15 year old Titleist 905 I currently play. Of course, the Ping was 5-600 bucks, and the Titleist was 5 dollars at the annual “old rich ladies giving away their husbands’ stuff for charity” rummage sale. Plus, the Titleist mostly works.

My driver is a 2004 Lynx Predator Driver 380cc with 10.5 degs of loft and a stiff shaft. It cost me about $90 on ebay. I am worried that a new driver would be a waste of money. My swing speed would decrease due to the larger head and drag and cancel out any gains over the Lynx.

1 Like

Your clubhead speed may decrease with a larger head, but unless you’re always hitting it dead center your ball speed may actually be less with the smaller head. The larger head is for forgiveness and not clubhead speed.

1 Like

All hail Smash Factor…

With an optimally fitted shaft and MOI, I wouldn’t be surprised to find a golfer swinging a bigger, draggier head even faster than the smaller one. Assuming the smaller driver wasn’t as fitted to that golfer’s swing.

2 Likes

My best drive yesterday was on the 5th hole(my 17th as I played the holes out of order to get in front of a slow 3) an uphill tee shot and I carried the bunker on the inside of the dogleg at 214m and left me with 77m to the pin. Hit lots of other 200m drives.

1 Like

Hey J, The ADAMS 9088 UL 9.5 weighs exactly 10.2 ounces I am currently using and I love it! My partner also loves using it, he hits the ball 10-15 yds longer with it. My smash factor ranges from a low end of 1.44 to a high end of 1.52. I am avg somewhere around 1.46-1.47 SF. Ball speed is like 133 to 138…It took a complete overhaul to get there. At 62…I’m still looking for a bit more if I can gain some flexibility, but 245-255 is pretty good! It is a 460cc Head and has a higher launch than I’m used to…but I really like it…for $50 I couldn’t go wrong. I wanted it 12 years ago but it was $400 back then!.

1 Like