Hitting mat recommendations

Just about completed my garage sim setup, and of course I’ve been using it a lot since it’s a new toy. Getting some elbow pain now. I had real bad elbow pain due to bursitis caused by bone spur earlier this year, and I don’t want to go down that road again.

I’m assuming the pain is mostly caused by hitting off a thin mat with insufficient padding, and partially just due to overuse.

What are your recommendations for the best mats in terms of cushion/injury prevention and realistic feedback?

2 Likes

I bought this 3 years ago, I don’t use it alot inside on a hard surface, I pull it on the grass outside. Specifically because of the reason you stated. I really messed up my elbow trying to get in golf shape after my accident. I would make sure you have at least an inch of thickness. This is what I bought Decent Mat

1 Like

I bought a really cheap mat off Amazon which is almost too thin when I hit balls in the garage, but I put some of those interlocking rubber mats under it for cushion.

The really good hitting mats are a bit pricey and I don’t use my garage setup often enough. If I ever set up a sim out there (and some heat) I would buy a better mat.

1 Like

I did the same with the rubber tiles, but it didn’t help that much (at least my elbow didn’t notice much cushion).

1 Like

Hitting with concrete underneath can eventually be an issue IMO. I haven’t had any elbow issues in a few years, but I have a bad right wrist and have to be careful.

I think my mat has about 1/2" rubber backing and then the rubber exercise tiles are another 5/8" or so. That seems to work for me, but I don’t beat a lot of balls and I’ve learned to be a sweeper…still I maybe could use another layer of exercise tiles. I pretty much only take divots with my wedges and they are only irons that have graphite shafts for absorbing shock.

1 Like

Had it a 3-4 years, use it quite a bit, still in good shape.
Hitting off mats is gonna be painful if your AoA is too steep with non teed up balls. Ask me how I know. :crazy_face:.

1 Like

I use Real Feel mats and have had no issues using them on concrete. These mats are nice because you can’t cheat - if you hit it fat, you’ll know. I bought two of the 20x36 strips, which has worked out pretty well.

Edited to change 10x36 to 20x36.

1 Like

Thanks for the input.
I ended up ordering the “holy grail” golf mat from gunghogolf. Got lots of good reviews on golfsimulatorforum.

1 Like

Looks like a nice piece of turf, Good Luck… One quick question do you think the smaller turf strip being 1" above the floor causes a bottom out? My pro convinced me that a full mat where I was basically even with the ball (3’x5’) would be better than a small piece of turf and simulate a better situation…

1 Like

They are not cheap, but I have had a Fiberbuilt mat for 18 months with no wrist or elbow issues. I had a perfect reaction golf mat for 6 months before that and can definitely feel the difference.

1 Like

The hitting strip will fit into a cutout of the mat and sit flush with the surface. That way, if it wears out you can just replace the strip, not the whole mat.

2 Likes

Based on all the reviews I read, Fiberbuilt was definitely on my list. Price was the deciding factor.

3 Likes

Ah! it’s a replacement strip! Answers the question! Alot of people just buy the strip and don’t use a whole mat! TY for clarifying…I did that and that’s how I messed up my elbow…

1 Like