Hitting it off the toe

I’m a 7 handicap. I struggle with this time to time. I believe it is a function of coming over the top and or coming out of my posture in the downswing which does happen when I’m forcing the swing. Any good practice tips? I’ve tried the hit it off the heel or try and hit a shank and just end up flipping it even worse. Anything with my ball position including how far I am from the ball? Or is it mostly about staying in posture firing right shoulder down and making sure I properly clear my hips to try and make contact more consistent? Any help is appreciated!

1 Like

Have you looked at your path? Used a launch monitor at all?

I’m a big fan of @Adamyounggolf and am reading his practice manual… It seems like you’ve tried some of the things he’s suggested (trying to move your impact to the toe) but maybe you just need to focus on improving path.

One of his simplest concepts is hammering a nail… basically just envision a nail wherever you want to hit the ball, and try to drive it through the golf ball… If you are over the top and flipping, you’d want to move the path to the inside of the golf ball and force your body to adjust to get you into position.

Basically, instead of worrying about HOW to get into the right position, you worry about hitting the ball where you want and force your body to make it’s own adjustments. If you get more to the inside, I think it would help you find the center of the club face.

Personally, one of my favorite things to do is to start small, focus on an in to out club path with a 1/4 swing… hit that until it’s innate, and then lengthen my swing… slowly build it longer until my full swing is inside and following the same path as my shorter swing.

I highly recommend any of Adam Young’s material. but it’s dense! I’m still getting through the Practice Manual, and I love reading about golf.

I think the shift of focus from “making the right golf swing” to “making good impact” was a huge help for my golf game. My body sorted out it’s own mechanics by me focusing on just hitting the inside dimple. Give it a try and see if it works.

If you are into podcasts, that’s what led me to Adam Young (and eventually here)

3 Likes

Good stuff - thank you! It makes sense as my pro has said I adjust spine angle on the downswing because I’m trying to hit the inside of the ball. Problem is I then change path. He doesn’t see me over the top he sees that spine angle change resulting in me swinging out getting stuck and flipping. He wants me feeling more like I’m over the top - more like straight back then back down on same path but feels over the top to me. Lots of pulls initially but starting to get it. I have a feeling I’m drifting back into old habits. I was flushing it later part of summer but ball striking has worsened over winter - not too worried as I certainly haven’t had many reps lol. The nail idea aligns with what I believe my pro has been telling me. I will take a look at Adam’s as suggested. Really appreciate the support! :v:t3::golf:

2 Likes