Have I been fitted incorrectly

Hey guys, hoping to get some help and advice, thank you in advance.

I went for a club fitting for a new Driver. When I was there the guy asked me if I currently use stuff shafts to which I replied yes (wasn’t sure tbh) . Long story short I bought the sim max 2.

Now I don’t have an official handicap but I think 16s an honest assessment. Driving’s long been the best part of my game, I hit the ball about 275 yards as I did at the fitting and the guy said with 100mph club speed.

I now have my club but was surprised when my friends noticed it was a regular shaft (I’m really not an equipment guy haha). I didn’t think anything of it initially but I started hitting some new high shots all of a sudden. I seemed to start hitting it well now on the range today but after googling this stuff I see my metrics typically fall in the stiff shaft category.

I’m just worried I’ve spent a lot of money for me on a club that might hurt more than it helps me. Might there be more nuance to this stuff that he could gage noticed at the fitting or was this likely an error?

Appreciate any advice and guidance

Where did you get fit? Flex alone isn’t enough to determine if something is a good fit.

How are you hitting the new driver? Do you like the way it feels and flies?

It’s not hard to change shafts if they got you fit into one that doesn’t work.

Much more to it than stiff/regular/etc. A good fitter will try to hit specific spin rates, carry, height, etc when trying to find the right shaft. There are regular shafts that play like a stiff shaft, but may give you more feel than a stiff shaft will while still producing the desired outcome.
I technically play a stiff shaft while my cruising swing speed is well within what would normally be an X.
If you’re hitting it well and it feels good, then don’t worry about what the shaft badge says. Just trust you’re in the right one.

The guy seemed most into my spin rates with each club when fitting and that seemed most pivotal in settling on the way we did.

Now I’ve recalibrated my swing which was a mess for a bit I’m enjoying the way I’m hitting it so I suppose if that continues I need not worry

American Golf. Having listening to the Ping guy episode I can now see it wasn’t a thorough fitting process.

I was impressed with the consistency of the flight yesterday when I felt like I was getting after it. If that continues it’ll be a big improvement in confidence of where it’s going and what will happen after the ball leaves my club face

1 Like

This may or may not be relevant but I upgraded from an M4 Driver to Sim Max after a fitting. At the fitting it was 20 yards further and more accurate. When I got it I struggled for about 6 months before we started to click and I am only now seeing the consistent improvement. Had a similar chat with a guy on the course who had recently bought a Sim 2 and was struggling to get consistency.

I have no idea why but it does seem that the Sim drivers do take some time to get the hang of. Honestly if there hadn’t been the odd screamer I would seriously of considered going back to an M4 but now I am really enjoying the Sim.

1 Like