Groove sharpener?

Anybody use a groove sharpener tool?

I have one of the tools you can get on eBay, but I mainly use it to clean out the grooves occasionally and not a full on sharpening. You definitely can deepen the grooves with these tools by putting some muscle into it. Rick Shiels showed that in a YT video:

Downside is that you might make your club non-conforming, but the vast majority of golfers probably don’t care. An avid golfer can definitely wear down wedges pretty quick, so if someone feels like their losing some spin but financially can’t afford new wedges, spending a couple bucks on one of these tools might help recover it.

It’ll deepen your grooves and give a wedge more life, but you’ll likely be non-conforming and will absolutely shred golf balls.

I think I’ll get one, as my clubs are vintage mostly, but didn’t seem to have been played a lot. How do you tell when they start to be non-conforming? (Not that I’ll be playing tournaments, just trying to break 100…)

Send them to the USGA for testing. :smiley:
Really it’s nothing to be concerned about. I will say that for most golfers, just making sure that the grooves are clean will be good enough.

1 Like