Gripping the club

I’ve played for 20 years with an overlap grip. Recently I switched to an interlock because it seems to control my draw/hook better somehow. Tiger and Jack used the interlock and they seemed to do ok :slight_smile:

I still use a weak overlap for short game and the opposite finger down the shaft for putting.

Anyway, what does everyone do for grip?

1 Like

Before everyone chimes in, this is a really great article written by a swing instructor I respect (I will try to get him on here at some point).

I recommend taking a look. The main point he makes (and that I agree with) is that there’s no “right” grip out there, but if you match up your grip with your swing tendencies, then good things can happen for you.

5 Likes

Overlap with a ahem strong right hand (I can slip into a ridiculously overstrong right hand if I’m not watching).
Funny thing I’ve noticed while doing some swing drills left handed is that my most comfortable lefty grip is interlocking (and probably more textbook correct than my natural righty one TBH).

Great article. I’ve started tinkering with my right hand pinky and ring finger being on the club handle and my left hand middle and pointer finger laying on top of my right hand much like the grip I use for putting (same grip as Tiger). I have noticed a more relaxed feeling in my hands. I don’t know that it makes a difference in my swing mechanics? Any ideas on this. I have even done it in the presence of my golf coach, haven’t said anything to him, it he also hasn’t tried to correct it.

Grip is one of those things I read about occasionally and my brain just fails to process… for me, I have one grip (neutral, overlap) and everything else feels weird and wrong.

I’ve tried to go weak or strong just for fun, and can’t do it.

I don’t know if that’s weird or more common… people just gripping clubs one way as it’s the most natural.

Things like that can be very personal, and if you tinker, and see good results, why not!

For example, I switched to a pencil-style grip with my putter (think Tommy Fleetwood) and it really saved my putting. I had a tendency for my right hand to take over, and shut the clubface, resulting in a lot of pulled puts (especially under pressure). The pencil grip has really calmed that problem down for me.

1 Like

Interesting article Jon and fascinating video. For me I prefer everything to be as natural as possible. If I stand upright with my arms hanging down my sides my thumbs point forwards (neutral) if I go to shake hands with you my hand stays neutral… why would I not keep that neutral position when holding a golf club.

I’ve always heard to hold the club like you’re holding a bird. I’ve never quite understood that because I’ve never held a bird before in that manner. I had a cockatiel when I was a young boy, but he would just climb in my finger or shoulder. Anyway, yesterday a bird flew into the window at work and knocked himself out. I felt bad for the little guy so I picked it up and soothed it. I held it in my hands gently while it regained consciousness and it’s whits. It was at that moment I realized, so this is the pressure you grip the clubs with. It was tangible at that point and not thought up. Let’s jus say, it’s even less than I though. Once it was feeling better I sat it on the ground and away it went. I got two birds with one stone. Hahaha.

1 Like