Green Reading Books

Anyone use a green reading book when they play? Would love to hear why or why not. If so how you’ve incorporated it into your game. Any tips to share? I’ve picked one up for my club and while I’ve studied it, I haven’t put it into play (my routine) yet.

1 Like

I have one for my course, but never really built the habit of using it… I think it’s definitely a learned skill. It’s on my list for next season of things to improve on!

I have one. I’ve used it in casual rounds, but I feel gross using it. I know it’s just another resource, but it feels like it’s taking the skill of green reading out of the game. I never liked them for the pros and I’m not a fan of them for ams.

Interesting take… I’m not sure I agree, but see your point. I still think it takes skill to translate the read from the book to the correct speed and aimpoint on the green… To me, it just eliminates gross misreads…

I don’t know though! I think it’s more interesting for pros to not have green books, but think that might give a huge advantage to the people who have played the courses a ton. I’m also not sure that’s a bad thing either!

I do think it has the potential to significantly slow down amateur golfers.

Apologies in advance if this gets windy and doesn’t exactly answer your question. Think it comes down to what you intend to use it for.
I make a green diagram when I make my yardage books. I trace the green outline from Google Earth then superimpose a 5y grid. Sometimes I’ll include tiers.
I use it mainly to target my approach shots. I’m usually looking for a spot to accommodate my dispersion or safe zone away from trouble. I’ll use a laser if I know the pin location or gps (or both) to find the front/back if not. Then I’ll use the grid to compute my target. Say I know the pin is back right, trouble short right, front is 125y and there’s a juicy fat spot middle left, about 35 from right and 15 on. So, my target becomes 30 left of the flag, 140y on.

As for putting aid? Nope. Did some experiments during ‘fun’ rounds using a 5/1000 (1/4*) level. Eyes are almost as accurate, plus I couldn’t work out how to use it effectively. Also very cumbersome and time consuming (you want DeChambeau in your Sat foursome?). I’d rather look at the putt from another angle than rifle thru paper.

Guess I didn’t answer your question, but hope this helps!

2 Likes

I definitely want a green/yardage book for my home course, but more as a souvenir than anything I’ll be actually using on the course. I really think reading them is a skill that your average amateur really wouldn’t be able to take advantage of, not to mention that the putting conditions are likely much more inconsistent from hole to hole/round to round than what the pros play on.

Not to argue but how is it any different than using a rangefinder with slope or GPS. Data is data. You still have to execute the shot.

If it takes lots of time, won’t be using one - not sure one’s available at home course

I am planning on making my own yardage book for my club. I will pull the greens out and include on the page.

The focus will be on tiers and ridges. I have never used a green book to putt and not sure how much I will pull it out. I am most interested in identifying general areas where the break changes between two green features. It will probably be a case where writing it down cements it in my memory and don’t foresee me going to the book to confirm reads.

And this is the value I’m talking about. Having a book where you can take notes round after round to refer to really adds value. Sometimes pulling it out in a match can slow/calm you down a bit before a shot. When the adrenaline is pumping, you can get ahead of yourself and forget a lot.

1 Like

Anyone interested, here’s a decent intro model on sale this week for $28. I demoed the app and I prefer paper.

My eyes and feet have served me well but I broke out an app version is was demoing yesterday twice and it corrected my read. The polite method is to open the book to that hole after your approach so its ready when you walk to the green. Ready golf is ready golf. I play with guys that aimpoint and plum bob. I wouldn’t call either lightening fast. Especially wen indecision is involved.

My first read is sometimes wrong. My second read is always wrong.

1 Like