Graphite-shafted Irons: Initial Thoughts

Well I just wrapped an irons-only 9 holes playing with graphite shafted irons for the first time. These are the same heads as the steel shafted ones I’ve been playing this season, both stiff flex. Here are my initial observations:

1. The graphite shafted clubs are longer by about 5 yards. This is just one observation, but it was constant throughout the set for the round. I probably was getting a couple mph more club head speed because of the lighter overall weight.

2. Usually I’m a picker with my irons, taking very little to no divot. Oddly, with these graphite shafted irons, I was taking divots. Not massive pelts or anything, but shallow, past the ball divots. Anyone think of any reasons for this?

3. I really liked them and didn’t feel like I was missing any “feel” from using them and they were just as consistent as my steel shafts (not very, but okay). They’re definitely staying in the bag.

I wanted to try these to see if they could fix a gaping issue I was having AW to PW and 5i to 4h. The extra five yards (if it holds true) will do exactly that. Also, swinging lighter clubs is probably going to be easier on the body, so I might as well start now.

Any thoughts or experiences of your own? And 10 cool points to anyone who can give a reasonable answer to that divot question.

2 Likes

Wild guess, but I read that graphite clubs are an inch longer than steel shafted - could this be the reason?

That is really not the case any more with heavier weight graphite shafts. It has actually been several years since I have seen an OEM list graphite shafts at one length and steel shafts at another length. Back in the day when graphite shafts were always much lighter and of inferior quality, that was usually the case probably to achieve a decent swing weight. With the heavier graphite shafts of today, the typical swing weight at the same length as the steel option are typically only one swing weight point less.

1 Like

Looking at the specs, I believe these graphite shafts are a quarter inch longer than my steel shafts and probably 2 swing weight points less.

1 Like

I’ve got nothing on the divot conundrum, but I switched to graphite on my irons ( and driver) due to my abysmally slow swing speed, the switch definitely helped gain some yardage for me.

3 Likes

Which graphite shafts?
I’ve played steelfiber, recoils, and will be trying out projectx here soon…

They are essentially a rebadged UST Recoil 80 made specifically for my brand (GigaGolf).
Posted this on the MGS forums and a bit of a consensus was (along with admonishments for my lack of information and suggestions on what I should look for on the launch monitor I don’t have access to) that the graphite shafts might be creating more clubhead lag with the graphite, delaying the flip I have a bit, so that would cause the divot. That makes sense to me, but at the end of the day, I like it and the feeling, so that’s what is important!

2 Likes

Which Gigagolf heads do you have? I had the TRX Powerslot irons with the same branded UST shafts until recently and I liked them a lot.

1 Like

Yep, have the TRX PowerSlots as well. Steel shafts were DynamicGold. I’m now TRX from 3w through hybrids, irons, and the wedges. Wedges (50-55-60) are the only clubs that still have the steel shafts.

I really loved that set of irons. This year I switched to Maltby KE4 Tour + irons with UST Competition Series shafts 7-GW.

1 Like

Could it be kickpoint?

Feels a bit less vibration on wrists/elbows on my (all too frequent) off-centers.

1 Like

I don’t know why I’m just seeing this for the first time, but I’m so thrilled to see you had good results with these. I’ve been so intrigued by the idea of putting (being fit into) in graphite shafts. I’m half tempted to pay for a fitting at Club Champion just to see what the difference is.

1 Like

I’m guessing you have a much faster swing speed than I do, but they are making some pretty stiff graphite shafts these days or I’ve heard really good things about the SteelFiber line

The SteelFiber is what I had in mind. I’m just curious about them and would love to see how they feel. I may reach out to my pro to see if he can set something up for a fitting.

1 Like

I played the steelfiber I 110’s for 2 years in my ping i200 set. Liked them a lot. They were stout and responsive.
That being said, I went back to c taper lites and like the “feel” of steel better. My accuracy also improved, but I also made some swing changes at the same time, so who knows…

2 Likes

I expect I’ll stay with steel with my swing speed. The idea of the steelfiber is a good one, though. I expect some really cool innovations in graphite iron shafts in the coming years.

1 Like

Early days yet, but I’ve only used graphite and don’t plan to switch. Only question is finding out if the ultralight is better for me than the regular weight clubs. 1 week left in the season to try out my hybrids which are heavier.

1 Like

Just saw this. I switched to all graphite about 5 years ago. A big deal for me as I had just recently given up steel shafted fairways. The fitter put me in Recoil 110 F4 and my 5 iron ended up 38.25" which was about 1/2" longer than my previous set, but only 1/4" longer than another recent steel shafted set. Also got Accra SP-T shafts in my wedges which are 125g graphite. I didn’t gain any distance, but it pretty much eliminated my wrist and elbow pain…although that was getting better over time. I am tempted to try steel again next season though as I feel like I’ve been much less consistent with my irons. It’s probably just me, but I would like to build a set and put it to the test.

1 Like

I switched to graphite a long time ago and have been happy with them. Not sure if I am sacrificing any distance or performance but I don’t miss the shock in my hands and arms on mishits.

1 Like

I’ve contemplated trying the heavier graphite options just to see different flex profiles… it’s an expensive experiment that probably won’t help my game, so it’s on the back burner.