Golf Subscriptions

Greetings all! New golfer here. I am looking for some input and advice on golf subscriptions/courses for improving your game. For example, even between Jon and Adam, it appears there are 5-8 courses available for golfers. Then there are also other professionals like MeAndMyGolf who offer a monthly subscription which allows access to all their courses.

In short, I need to work on all aspects of my game. However, I would really like to purchase a course instead of trying to rely on my own drills and information. That being said, where is a good place for a beginner to start? Does anyone have experiences with these courses?

1 Like

Certainly every source you named above is great, if you’re here we are all pretty big fans of Jon and Adam Young. But in my opinion, if you are a new golfer, I’d find a teaching pro near you to really drill in the basics. It’s something I wish I had done sooner in my own game, and I think once you have that base level really honed by a pro you could take more ownership of leveling up through the online resources.

4 Likes

I have two subscriptions: Clay Ballard’s “Top Speed Golf” and Jon’s “Practical Golf”. My favorite YouTube guy is Jonathon Taylor. I’ve been a long time member at Top Speed Golf and the fees are inexpensive and Clay provides lots of drills to ingrain the techniques. I would describe Jon’s approach as golf from the shoulders up.

I see learning any new skill in three phases: 1) Understanding the proper technique. 2) Understanding the gap between what you are currently doing and the proper technique. 3) Understanding how to fix your faults. (I think Adam voices a similar thing.) Golf sites can help with #1 but you need a coach for #2 and #3.

In years past, I would watch way too many YouTube videos both looking for insight and to triangulate what one instructor said compared to another. For the most part, the competent guys say the same thing but sometimes in different words.

So, has my game improved? My swing is technically better but my scoring has only improved marginally. As Jon says, your score is more a function of your bad shots, not so much about your good shots. I still have way too many double bogeys. My goal is to swing the club with the correct intention (I was wayward there for a while) coupled with a correct strategy. The second part of that statement is why I’m on this sight.

1 Like

When you say new, I guess my question is: How New?

Most golf resources are designed to help people who already have a fully developed swing, and basically overcome the issues built into their regular swing…

I’m not sure there are a ton of resources about building a swing from the ground up… I think it’s worth finding an in person coach that you get along with and letting them help you build a golf swing.

The problem with the online guides and such is that they can’t see your actual swing and offer immediate feedback, so if you are just learning to swing a club, it can help to have someone immediately shut down BAD swings, and encourage good ones.

At the early stages, other than lessons, the best thing you can do is practice and have fun. Go out and bang balls. I do think Adam’s ball flight laws are important to read and understand… it’s good to know why you are slicing, hooking, fading or drawing the ball… you can then learn routines to hit it better as you make mistakes.

I think the important part is get on the range and hit balls, though. It’s going to take awhile to build the feel for any golf swing, and it can’t be learned from a online course.

1 Like

I’d say new as I’m I just started in August. I’d say my swing, while it needs plenty of fixes, is functional. I was a high school coach, so I truly believe if I have the resources- I can coach myself for the most part.

That’s ultimately what I’m looking for. A course where I can learn all the basic necessities and how to make changes. I can’t afford $75 lessons for 45 minutes a week. Even though I know it would be huge help.

1 Like

He’s the head teaching pro at a golf course 10 minutes from where I work. I did an iron fitting with him last fall, and every now and then I go and buy some stuff from his little pro shop there. Really nice guy.

1 Like

I posted this on another thread a while ago:

I got a personalized training plan from Adam. He was super nice, and communicative about everything I asked. I just couldn’t put it to use yet, because of the lockdown.

I’m also subscribed to Me and My Golf . They have some very good coaching plans, and really are nice guys that answer every question you might have. Their videos have helped me improve a lot.

For a short time I also had a subscription to Wisdom in Golf by Shawn Clement, but I did not really get too much into his methods, although he is very highly praised among fellow golfers.

Another I have heard good things about is Chris Ryan , he also has lots of free videos on YT.

1 Like