Golf Is a Series of Independent Decisions

I agree that walking is the way to go. I can see slopes walking up to the green that I cannot see once I’m on the green.

2 Likes

Good stuff.

Here is what I am wrestling with. I am trying to get better with decision making on doglegs. While looking at overhead shots of my course, there are definitely situations that seem like a coin flip

Example (will edit and post a photo later)

• Dog leg left
  • 180 to the corner
  • Hit driver about 240-250 carry and should rollout to 260-275 if conditions are firm
  • landing area is about 40 yards wide, 10 additional yard of probably 1/2 stroke penalty (light rough and trees), anything outside of those 60 yards is totally dead

If I hit driver successfully, I can have 30 - 50 yard pitch on the approach. If I lay back I have 100 - 120 on the approach. What I am struggling with is understanding the frequency of the bad miss that will cause double bogey. Additionally, if I pull out 4 iron, I feel far more comfortable and play my usual dispersion.

When I take out driver, brain seems to get in the way and “yippy” swings can result.

If I could rely on my “stress free” driver swing, I feel like I am gaining strokes by being aggressive. I just don’t seem to perform with my typical dispersions when rolling the dice

1 Like

Fighting the war on double bogeys!

2 Likes

I think one of the biggest factors here could be your mindset.

I found that when I embraced driver as my primary club off the tee (unless situations dictated otherwise) a few things happened:

• I put more work in
  • Figured out optimal setup (ball position/tee height)
  • Understood my tendencies (shot tracking/launch monitor work) - which game me more confidence
  • Allowed me to take the good with the bad on the course, and not let it deter me from sticking to the plan!
2 Likes

The army is growing!

1 Like

Great article. The big standout to me is that to play your best golf, the golfer really needs to simplify the game, the the ball as far as your can without brining in an unreasonable amount of trouble and hit your approaches to get the most amount of green in your dispersion. It would be simple if our own brains didn’t get in the way, mostly by being stuck in the past or looking too far forward. This is the big benefit of having a mindful approach out on the course. While I’m not perfect at it by any means, I don’t think I’d be a single digit handicap without it.

3 Likes

This is one of the reasons why I always loved golf. Maybe this sounds a bit crazy, but I always felt it was a battle against myself, and my worst tendencies (impatience, temper, dwelling on past, worrying about future). You won’t always win the battle, but when you get better, it feels great!

2 Likes

I think that’s the mindset that most golfers (at least competitive ones, either against others or just against themselves) have or should have. No one else out there but you.

3 Likes

As always, a great core concept to live … and golf :wink: … by!!

For me, tho - average recreational bogey golfer - as far as approaches I know I’m more comfortable on shots where there’s grass in front of me vs trouble. Now if the pin is in front with trouble in-between then, yes, I’m trying to hit past the pin into the middle (or the larger part) of the green.

But, again for me and where I’m at with my game right now, if I’m looking at a layup on a Par 5 or long Par 4 then - to the extent possible that I think I can execute - I will be looking at the next position from where I’ll have an easier subsequent shot up onto the green.

Which … as indicated in that stats graphic … is usually short and in front of the green. No doesn’t always work out … but improving slowly over time … and that’s how I’m trying to think my way through a tough hole.

Tee shots? The goal is to avoid trouble and get the ball into play!

1 Like

Yes! and Yes!

Those are two really key concepts that I’m working hard to bang into my thick skull and apply while playing - good stuff!

2 Likes

Good article as usual. The ever present & elusive challenge to shoot sub 92 more frequently had me look at it similarly. Work with what you have left yourself with.
One for forward thinkers … hit every green GIR (or later), but all balls landed at 20’ from cup, yup every single one. How many times have I complained? “I can’t get one close!” If 6% get made from that 20’ YAAAY! Oh wait that’s only 1 of 18. So what are we gonna do with the other 17 holes. I hope to 2 putt. Sadly how many get missed & turn into the dreaded 3 jack? 2, 3, 4? Some meat on the bone for any of us trying to shoot a “score”.

2 Likes

Interesting.

I have found that dogleg right (bad for my shot shape) almost always dictates a layup to the corner if there is any real trouble. The shape of the hole will frequently cut down the landing area to 30 yards or less due to trees and runout through the fairway and it seems like I am bringing double into play more than I am saving shots

On dog left left though I need to condition my brain that it is the correct club as long as I have 60 yds to land in. I think this is where google earth review may really help. Seeing the hole from overhead should help program my brain that I have the correct club to make the best avg score

It’s independent. Pick the right target and whack it!

1 Like

I think you’re also factoring your shot shape into the equation too much. No matter which way you shape the ball (path of the club), where it ends up will always be heavily influenced by where the club is facing at impact (open/closed).

So for example, I draw the ball almost every time. While the ball is always going to curve right to left, I am going to have a certain amount of shots land left of my target and right of my target no matter what. Sometimes my face will be too open (miss to the right) or closed (miss to left). It doesn’t matter how the ball curves, it matters where it ends up!

I don’t love using pro golfers as examples too much, but Dustin Johnson is a great example. He’s one of the best drivers of the golf ball in the world and didn’t reach his best level until he decided to hit a fade all the time. He’s playing plenty of dogleg lefts with that shot shape.

1 Like

This is one of the reasons why I always loved golf. Maybe this sounds a bit crazy, but I always felt it was a battle against myself, and my worst tendencies (impatience, temper, dwelling on past, worrying about future). You won’t always win the battle, but when you get better, it feels great!

Absolutely this! Perhaps these words should be at the top of your site…

2 Likes

That makes sense.

I guess what I am suggesting is that on a hard dog leg right I have less fairway to land in. Assuming equal fairway width, my dispersion will fit better into a dog leg left.

Am I overthinking this? On a tight dog leg right at my old course I was unable to land the golf ball in the right 1/4 of a fairway due to the trees protecting it

1 Like

Yes I think it does. If the landing area does get severely pinched by bunkers/trees/penalty areas then yes you have to consider taking less than driver to avoid that trouble

This is where knowing your tendencies can help make better decisions. Some golfers who don’t drive it as far might have a much tighter dispersion that a pro who hits it 300+

On the other hand, there are players who are completely wild with their drivers and it could go anywhere - at that point you have to start looking at your technique/equipment for some help.

1 Like

Even when I ride, I prefer to be the passenger, and will often walk between shots where I can to clear my head.

2 Likes

For me I have to be on the left side of the tee box and then to have any chance of reaching the green I need hit from the middle or left of middle fairway/rough. I hit pull hooks so need plenty of room to aim right. Then if I hit a green there is a reasonable chance my ball will run off the green left. if I get caught out on the wrong side I take Pw and hit back to the left for my next shot. My biggest struggle is when I shoot a good front nine and can’t keep it going. I should stop tallying my score at the turn.

What do you intend to illustrate with this? As a 6 handicap, I’d very happily take this kind of day, even if I 3-putt a couple of times. You’re talking about a total score of 74 or so, that’s a great day. Are you implying that putting is really important? Well it is, but it takes really outstanding ballstriking to be 20 feet from the hole for 18 holes.

1 Like

Great article @jon. Taking the mind out of the game is always going to be our biggest obstacle. Really liked how you talked about doubles vs birdies. Complete change in my game when I stopped trying to make birdies and focused on making pars. It’s boring but it works.

3 Likes