Golf books: what are you reading

Any good long history would be appreciated

Sorry, not sure what you mean by long history, but the best historical book (and also a bio) I read recently was Life of a Klansman. The author explores a particular ancestor’s background which happened to include being a confederate soldier and Klan member. It’s an interesting blend of history, a biography, and exploring what all this means and looks like to/for the author.

1 Like

I meant historical golf book! But that does sound interesting

1 Like

Golf’s Holy War. Good book talking about the long thread of analytic/mechanical golf vs mystical/artistic golf. It’s not really about “Moneyball”-esque analytics, more the idea that there’s always been a school of thought that is more mechanical in nature as represented by the Golfing Machine. This is in contrast to the school of thought that golf is more mystic in nature as represented by Golf in the Kingdom. It’s a bit of a wandering road of a book, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I’ve got a whole bookshelf of golf reading, so lots of other recs if that’s already on the list :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

My favorite golf book so far is “The Education of a Golfer” by Sam Snead and Scott Carter. I don’t know what it is about it. I’ve read it like 5 or 6 times (unusual for me), and it wouldn’t surprise me if I read it 5 times more.

1 Like

$100 for the book, free on kindle… haha, sorry dad!

1 Like

I was curious about this book as I’ve not heard about it, and I went researching it. Here it is for $14.99 (without dust jacket).

As a side note, I’m increasingly moving away from Amazon for a variety of reasons. Probably best not to open that can of worms here though :innocent:

4 Likes

Awesome… I’m going to pick it up and grab a new golfs holy war and send them to him.

1 Like

There is one on thrift books for $5 FWIW https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-education-of-a-golfer_sam-snead/14046848/all-editions/

1 Like

Sent him this for Christmas… he’s not able to play right now, so hopefully he enjoys having some books to read!

Started the practice manual today… it’s definitely dense. Enjoy it thus far, and I’m looking forward to implementing it!

3 Likes

Not sure if this one was mentioned earlier but the inner game of golf by Tim Gallwey some really good things in there that helped me. It’s all about the mental.

2 Likes

I see mixed reviews on this book…but just ordered it. Anything to help “quiet the voices”! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

About half way through The Inner Golf Game…and loving it! Thanks @Gisclairj

2 Likes

Me as well, it’s really good. Lots of good stuff in there.

1 Like

Turns out my dad hates Sam Snead… found that out last week!

Oh well.

The Grand Slam by Mark Frost. Story of Bobby Jones and golf. Fascinating!

1 Like

Just ordered The Lost Art of Golf as I’m nearing the end of A Course Called Scotland (now I know what I will do with my time if I win the lottery).

1 Like

I need some more suggestions for my dad… he loves Ben hogan but has likely read most of the common books…

He reads a ton on non fiction, and is recovering from surgery and can’t play golf right now… any and all suggestions would be great.

1 Like

Ryder Cup revealed - Ross Biddescombe
The Greatest Game Ever Played - Mark Frost

Fiction
Golf in The Kingdom - Michael Murphy
The Golf Omnibus - P.G. Wodehouse

1 Like

The Match by Mark Frost. Thrift books.

1 Like