Golf books: what are you reading

Yeah, I’m with you on Every Shot Counts. It felt like the first few chapters were written to tell you how smart you were for reading the book because the system is so good… I think golf books have a tendency to try to sell their narrative to get people to try the concepts in the book, so it’s nothing new, but it definitely stood out!

Sieckmann spends a decent amount of time “tooting his own horn” before getting into actual advice as well… I think it also helps to pad out the word count!

3 Likes

I really love the Golfers Journal as well. Always a great mail day when a new issue arrives.

I’ve noticed this as well. Information that could be put into a small article is spread out over an entire book with a lot of fluff and the book comes in at about 175-250 pages.

I will have to check that out. Thanks for the recommendation

Hard to blame, them… though… A 50 page “technique” manual isn’t going to sell as well as “The Short Game Bible” at 448 pages (I looked). Honestly, if I remember correctly, Pelz has some page padding talking about how he came to his system.

I’m sure some people like to read the backstory on how someone developed the technique or why it’s so effective, though… it just grates on me pretty quickly.

1 Like

If you’re interested in subscribing to the Golfers Journal, I can get you a referral code which will get you one more issue for free. I’ll get one too.

2 Likes

Ill check it out.

[email protected]

I sent it via direct message.

2nd Lowest Score Wins

Practice Manual by Adam Young is great

Loving these non-instruction oriented recommendations!

1 Like

Their books are excellent!

Love my Golfer’s Journal!

2 Likes

Yep, Ward is/was a very interesting character, maybe the most interesting among the 4??? I haven’t read John Feinstein’s books, but I have them & will read them (eventually). Much more interested in golf history, especially early history. Thought “The Greatest Game Ever Played” was fantastic and (of course) Stephen Proctor’s, “Monarch of The Green.” These books provided a real feel for the times, background and context.

I agree - especially because it was like he disappeared after that. If I remember right Arnie was a close friend of his brother.

I will definitely check out Proctor’s book.

I was just reminded of one, My Place at the Table, by John Derr. John covered the second Masters as a teenage reporter from NC. He covered the next 60-something Masters, as a print reporter, radio telecaster, TV (behind the 15th for the first TV coverage). He met Ghandi and Einstein, was trusted by Hogan, turned down a chance to play Augusta with Eisenhower. The book is a collection of short stories from his life in sports. I met Mr. Derr when he donated the contents of his library to the MidSouth Club in Pinehurst. I don’t know if the book is still in print, but if you stumble across a copy, its an interesting read.

1 Like

I’m reading American Triumvirate - not instructional but a good read about Byron Nelson, Sam Snead, and Ben Hogan.

4 Likes

I re-read the Little Red Book about every 18 months. Definitely a must read!

4 Likes

Not a golf book specifically but it’s called there’s no plan b for your a game. Great read if you’re desiring to be a professional athlete or just an al around bad ass.

1 Like

Dave, can you send me info please. [email protected] ty

I don’t think I’ve seen any votes for The Legend of Bagger Vance, which I love. I love the mystical/spiritual side of golf. Which also obviously calls to mind Golf in the Kingdom.

The movie Bagger Vance, on the other hand… oof.

I’ve got Ian Andrew’s book about Stanley Thompson’s 5 Greatest Designs just waiting to be read. Hoping to start it this weekend!