Golf balls comparison

I wish there was an easy way to do a quick comparison of golf balls. Last night I sorted out the 5 gallon bucket of golf balls that’s in my garage - these have been accumulating from the balls I find on the course. The pro V1s always go right in my bag and the rest of the random balls I toss in that bucket. So last night the spirit moved me and I decided to separate them out by manufacturer since the bucket was finally full. I put all the trash top flites, wilsons, etc. to the side those will get donated back to the range. But then there’s the big pile of Callaways, Bridgestones and Taylormades. Problem is it’s not exactly easy to do a quick look up.

First soak them in a bucket of warm water for 10-15 minutes. Clean them.
Then, you could sort them by -condition, -brand- or -by the structure.
Nicer condition is often just met the club face a few times. Some are brand name preference.
I usually sort them by , cover material, layers of construction and in recent years, compression .
Softer golf balls goes in the bucket for colder months, urethan covered golf balls ( 3-5 layers) for warmer weather.
You can use those not going into your golf bag on the driving range or, donate it to places like the First Tee for the kids.
First tee will supply range balls for practice but toward the end of the program they’ll have open free play for kids ( accompanied by guardians ), usually in the late afternoon. The kids will love to have free golf balls.

I keep it simple and pick out a ball or two from each manufacturer that I know I like to play. So, Titleist Pro V1, Pro V1x, Calloway Chrome Soft and Super Soft (for winter), Srixon Z Star, Bridgestone e6 or e12, etc. The rest are for the range or the neighbours’ kids.
I find more balls than I lose so limit what I keep and still I can add a 100+ balls a year to the collection so discretion is needed.

2 Likes