Golf Balls and alignment on greens

We haven’t really discussed golf balls outside of DTC balls. What ball do you guys play and why. What did you used to play before switching to your current ball. How do you like to line your ball up on the green and putter?

1 Like

Tp5x or snell mtb x are my favorite. I layer softer balls before but like the feel and spin from those balls.
I also don’t like putting with a line at all. I used to line up a line on my ball to my target but I putt much better when I don’t…

1 Like

I have been using Bridgestone (B330 then Tour B) RX balls ever since they were first introduced 11 or so years ago. Yes, I do play others occasionally (Titleist AVX or Snell MTB Black) but it is always a Bridgestone RX when the round really matters. I prefer looking at a blank space on the ball when putting.

1 Like

I like the ProV1 or ProV1X – a Titleist is hard to beat which is why they completely lock down the price. The only way I’ve found to beat full retail is ebay when there are occasionally logo’d balls you can find.

1 Like

I’m playing the TP5 Pix (practice stamped, $19.99 a dozen at golfdiscount.com). The graphics on the ball are interesting for putting because I can see if I rolled the ball true. Probably the main reason I like them though is that the graphics make them just a bit different than other balls and I like that.

3 Likes

I play ProV1s. I don’t worry too much about using the alignment line on the green.

1 Like

I used to never align my ball when putting, but started doing it late last year and have never putted so well. Now that could also be in part to the new putter I put in play.

I have been using the TP5 all of this year and really happy with it.

1 Like

My problem has been the time it takes me to get it lined up right. I play fast and it made me anxious to slow down to try to get the line lined up.

Yeah I hear ya.

It’s probably not smart but sometimes I leave the ball when the line is not where I want it and set up knowing I need to be a touch one way or the other of my line. I do this to not over obsess about it being perfect and slowing play down.

ProV1x. Just started using a line this year. Was always hesitant in the past, mostly because I was afraid of facing the truth that I couldn’t roll it end over end! But I decided to fave my fears and boy has it worked. The line has taught me to read and visualize the putt with more focus. I set up the line based on the putt going 12” past the hole. It taught me that I used to line up with a closed face and then tried to push the ball on line. Now my alignment is much better. I thought about getting rid of the line, as I was getting too obsessed with the line, and screwing up my speed, until a friend of mine said the perfect thing: “Having the line on the ball frees you up so you DON’T have to think about the line. You’ve already got the line. That frees you up to think of nothing but speed.” Brilliant! Once again, “the obstacle is the way.” From then on its lights out!

1 Like

Srixon Z-Star XV for me. Friend turned me on to Srixon and I can’t play anything else. Love how bright white the ball is and it’s durable. Used to play ProV and hated how easily they got chewed up and lost their brightness.

I put black line over the Z STAR XV on the side for putting. Went into more detail on my process in another thread on the alignment topic, but basically I get the line generally aligned and then adjust based on last read before address.

Here’s the other discussion with some conversation on lining the ball up

I’m still a free agent in the ball market. I have an endless supply of slightly used balls, plus whatever I find on the course. Typically ProV1, or ProV1x. I even used a ProV1 332 ('05ish model) the other day and played pretty well. I’ve played a few rounds w/ TP5/TP5x and Bridgestone B XS and I haven’t found a huge difference with any of the upper tier balls. Not a big fan of Callaway personally,

For alignment, I put the blank white side of the ball down. I don’t use the line or any indicator as it pulls my eye, and the blank side of the ball is also a reminder to clear my mind and trust the stroke.

1 Like

Srixon Soft Feel. Can’t beat the price and they seem to be just as consistent to me with the Bridgestone’s I was playing for the last few years.

No putting line or alignment line for me…seems to cause me to think much more than “feel” on the putting green.

1 Like

Based on this forum, i ended up ordering a dozen Snell MTBx online to give them a try.

3 Likes

You won’t be disappointed, they play well.

2 Likes

As an average recreational golfer, I’m happy with average recreational golf balls - two that I’ve found, are reasonably priced and seem to perform very well for my game are…

1. MaxFli CG Tour (@ Dick’s)
  2. Inesis 900 Tour (online @ decathlon.com)

On lining up the ball - I do use the line … almost always on the greens and always on the tee.

On the greens, I sometimes won’t use the line if it’s a really long putt and there’s a clear aiming point in front of the ball; otherwise the line helps me keep my intended putt line “set” as I move from behind the ball to the side … and then it helps me square up my putter by matching the putter’s alignment line to the ball’s line.

1. Is it legal to put the ball down and have the line on the ball face/aim where the line on the green you pick is?

I don’t know if that makes sense, but I read that putting a line on your ball can help your putting. I’m guessing that mean having the line point to the spot your aiming.

Perfectly legal. Whether it helps or not depends on the individual. There are a lot of players that use it and a lot that don’t. Experiment with it and see if it will help you.

1 Like

If someone ever questions you when you do this (I doubt anyone will) refer them to Interpretation 14.2c/1 which tells us that a Ball May Be Replaced in Almost Any Orientation. There are only very minor limitations, none of which affect the use of a line.

2 Likes