Golf Academy Tip my Instructor?

I took a 3 day class this past week which I thought was wonderful.

I can go on about the experience, but that is for a different thread. I have a question about tipping.

The Academy is set up with the lead instructor who owns the company and then there were coaches below him. There were only 4 people including myself in our group. I really thought he did a very good job. I was wondering if I should tip him? If so then how much?

I would send whatever money directly to him and I don’t believe the “lead” instructor deserves one since he is the owner and not the person that I communicated with.

2 Likes

You asked a question, which, only you are deemed suitable to answer.
As for customary practice, here in my region, we do not tip golf instructors, owner or not.
Why would you want to tip anyone? Because either you don’t believe they get paid in proportion to their effort or because you think they had done you a favor by extra service or advice ?
I would “tip” someone, during Holidays season, a gift card, a bottle of wine, home made cookies… someone who serviced our vehicle all year round, someone who did work for us on a regular base, and those who put in the extra effort during this difficult time for all of us. I normally do not tip hair dresser, but we did during this time, so with the take-out food order, usually no tip for take -out but we’ll leave a small tip.
For golf instruction , if the instructor feel that he is not being compensated for the hours and the effort, then, best to seek else where for employment or change profession.
However, if they had gone out of their way beyond performing their duty for paid service, then it is totally up to your discretion if and how much you want to “tip” them, and the form of tipping. It is not necessarily “instant” gratification, it can be in a form of returning the favor with your line of work in the future. Barter system if you like. Someone did you a favor , a returned favor is in order.
Not proper to tip someone for performing within their frame of duty which is owed to you.
Unless, you’re a philanthropist.

1 Like

I guess I’m a philanthropist! IMHO it is proper to tip people who have performed … well … a service for you, to show them your appreciation.

2 Likes

Thanks both for your answers and your opinions and thoughtful answers.

1 Like

Very good, please, continue. All those on the receiving end would appreciate your gesture.

It is your decision, but when asked others of their opinion, not everyone will agree with.
In some culture, tipping will insult the receiving end. In Japan and some parts of the European Countries. However, some would expect a tip if they deal with the tourists from the North America, even in a culture which does not promote tipping.
I would not tip a golf instructor, Just how much is enough ? Difficult to determine the value to exchange. But if that makes you feel guilty if not performing the gesture and not insulting the receiver, then tip away.

I don’t tip my instructor but I see him twice a month throughout the year with my son. We did get him a xmas gift though just saying thank you for having us etc. Golf instruction is fairly expensive, on par with any type of personal training really. Like people said above, if you feel inclined, I bet the gesture would be appreciated for a job well done.

2 Likes