Getting cold outside!

Also, I think a swing trainer like the SKLZ GoldFlex I have is a great way to get loose and warm. 10 swings from both sides with that and I’m feeling pretty much ready to go.

Those are great ideas, I have the swing trainer in my truck but I don’t really use it much before rounds. I like getting the heart rate up idea. Dynamic movement stretching is part of my routine. The warmer mornings it seems to be enough. I am going to try jogging a lap around the parking lot, jumping jacks next week haha. I don’t always feel unready, but sometimes the cold is hard to shake. Thanks!

Something else I meant to mention is loss of distance in the cold. I have trouble sometimes, maybe it is in my head? Or just the fact that the body isn’t fully warmed up. Thoughts?

No that’s real. It’s science. It’s not just your body feeling less than optimal.

Also for keeping warm, as a Nebraskan who grew up in South Dakota, if I wanted to extend my season I had to get creative. I found ways of keeping heat pads at the ready. Mostly on my joints to keep the swing free flowing, but anywhere to retain any sort of heat.

1 Like

The hot hands packs are pretty awesome. I have used them in boots for ice fishing.

“ When the golf ball gets colder, it can lose a few miles per hour in ball speed, which can mean distance loss due to speed," said Snell. "[The] optimum temperature range is 70 to 90 degrees. At 40-degree temps the ball can slow down and be shorter by 5 to 10 yards

Love fall golf when bent greens can thrive

so a question about the golf balls. Is there a way to keep them warmed up while not using them, like a small pouch with one of the heating pads or something. Keep 2 of them warmed at all times and switch after each hole? Just curious.

You could probably keep one of the hot hand packs in your bag’s ball pocket and that should keep the ball warm. Would be interesting to test if it made a difference or not. At the very least it couldn’t hurt!

1 Like

Fall golf is the best! I love in upstate NY so getting the same season changes as you. I have some tight fitting under armor from back in my running days I’ll put on if I really need to, not bulky so the swing stays relatively true to form

Keep those hands warm and I’m good. I bought this heated vest last year for hunting—I may break it out for golf this year.

Never thought of it before, but I always play wearing pants with multiple pockets, and keep balls in them - I guess they would warm up a little at that…

Fleece hoodie, with an oversized windbreaker on top of it all. And those insulated wind pants.

I like playing in the cold, less people on the course. My attire:

1. My sherpa beanie
  2. My footjoy winter gloves
  3. Two Hot Handz Body Packs (one on my chest, the other on my lower back)
  4. Under Armor Cold Gear Fleece
  5. North Face Fleece Vest
  6. Two Hot Handz in each front pocket (for my balls)
  7. Orange golf balls

I played the entire winter last year except for two light snow days.

Sounds like you’re ready for golf in the arctic.

Nothing like semi blading your first iron shot with cold fingers. Don’t know what it’s like to play in snow. Coldest mornings here are frosty before nice sunny days and coldest day this year was 10 degs Celsius with a really cold wind. Wore my usual polo, jumper, and pants plus possum fur neck warmer, beanie and my jacket unzipped. Play all year round here.

Will check those out! You play in cold but not much snow area? My course last year didn’t allow play unless it was 42 degrees F or warmer outside.

Warming balls while playing is a USGA Rules violation!

DQ and you’re out!

1 Like

Huh, never thought about this under rule 4.2
" (2) Deliberately Altered Ball Must Not Be Played. A player must not make a stroke at a ball whose performance characteristics have been deliberately altered, such as by scuffing or heating the ball or by applying any substance (other than in cleaning it)."
https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rule-4.html

So don’t keep your balls with your hand warmers if you’re playing in a sanctioned tournament (or if you have really awful playing opponents who would try to DQ you at the end of your weekly money game).

1 Like

We played in a St Pattys outing last year with snow on the last 4 holes. It was crazy but a great time

2 Likes