Getting cold outside!

Huh, never thought about this under rule 4.2
" (2) Deliberately Altered Ball Must Not Be Played. A player must not make a stroke at a ball whose performance characteristics have been deliberately altered, such as by scuffing or heating the ball or by applying any substance (other than in cleaning it)."
https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rule-4.html

So don’t keep your balls with your hand warmers if you’re playing in a sanctioned tournament (or if you have really awful playing opponents who would try to DQ you at the end of your weekly money game).

1 Like

We played in a St Pattys outing last year with snow on the last 4 holes. It was crazy but a great time

2 Likes

In high school (in NJ) we had the first tournament of the year (sometime around 2004 or 2005) in early April. It was snowing when everyone got to the course and there was a dusting like in the picture above.

Everyone warms up and the forecast is for more snow. They send everyone out to the course. I had to walk to #2 and by the time I was to the first fairway I was basically ice skating as my spikes had captured all the snow.

Get to 2nd tee (par 5) and somehow pipe a drive down the middle despite slipping. 2nd shot I’m going for green and I slip and top it 50 yards. Hit third shot to green, feels like a good shot but can’t see anything. End up missing the green and we could never find the ball (go figure - white ball, white snow, should be easy to find). Walk all the way back to the fairway to hit again. Finish up hole for 7 and as we walk off the green the tell us they’re calling it. No s&#&.

Ended up getting 3-4 inches that day. No clue what in the world made them think it was good idea to try and play when the course was already covered with snow. Wasn’t magically going to melt by the time we walked to the tee.

Worked for me though - got an extra day off from school for the rescheduled event.

Interesting question about keeping the balls warm. My friend and I designed a ball warmer and we were all ready to put it into production. It would hold two balls and have a USB power source (since most cars have USB nowadays, and most people have a USB power pack). Anyway we decided not to go into production because the rules (they think of everything) make it illegal to warn your golf ball. Curious to know how many people who are just out for fun would buy this and not care about the rule.

Side note, when it’s really cold out, like 40° or less I have women’s balls, they are a lot softer and doesn’t feel like a rock coming off of the face.

1 Like

I figured out keeping the balls warm last winter while at the range and the ball felt like I was hitting bricks. Thanks for the awareness… for the spirit of the game. I’ll have the hot hands for my body and hands.

The one thing i have 2 pair of is the tan cargo pants. The great thing about them is that they are flannel lined so they keep you feeling comfortable. Multiple pockets for tees and balls.

2 Likes

My Sophomore year of high school we played the State tournament (Spring golf in SD) in 35-40 degree temps, 25-30mph wind, and sleet. 140 kids on the course in winter clothes trying the slap a ball around. Took 7 hours round one and the leader shot 79. I shot 81 and felt like I’d played the best round of my life. Absolute miserable mess. My dad stuck it out and was there every step of the way. What a trooper.

3 Likes

Played in reasonably severe conditions 2018. Rocked up for a winter league comp. Cancelled due to snow. Me and one other guy were champing at the bit to get out. Couple yellow balls, jobs a good ‘un. Probably 0-4deg Celsius (32F?). Played quite well on a completely empty course.

4 Likes

I remember this being advertised in sky mall… I think it was also a plot line in 90210 possibly featuring barry bonds.

It’s an interesting idea, but I would guess it’s too small a niche to be profitable.

I remember getting the odd really nice days in the middle of Denver winters. Snow never really stuck around anywhere except for the shade. Thin air plus frozen ground could create some absolutely massive drives. My brother hit one once that was at least 400 yards, one big hop off the frozen ground then someone skipped straight across a frozen pond, making it to the other side safely. Side note-the sound of a golf ball rolling across frozen water is really weird.

3 Likes