Gankas's G-Box: any opinions?

I love training aids. I also love replicating the effectiveness of training aids (which are often ridiculously pricey) with at-home, DIY substitues.

I’ve been eyeing the G-Box from George Gankas. In principle, it seems like it might be useful for something I struggle with. But $90? :face_with_monocle:

Last night, I took an alignment stick (actually, a driveway stake that is repurposed as an alignment stick) and ran it through my front belt loops. It looked like this:

This is just a partial swing (trying to get a feel). The stick forced me to 1) get the club shallowed under the stick while 2) keeping my trail elbow in front of the stick. Honestly, this on one of the best “shallowed” swings I’ve seen of myself on video.

So the question: has anyone had any experience with the G Box? And is there benefit of it that I’m overlooking here?

[edit: changed from Google Photos to YouTube on the video link]

1 Like

The benefit of looking at least 300% more ridiculous than just having an alignment stick through the belt loops? Really though, I suppose the boxes could provide some feedback to arm position that the rod wouldn’t, but that’s just guessing based on the design. (FYI-link you posted seems to be broken)

1 Like

Because virtually all of my practice takes place in my garage, looking ridiculous is acceptable :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Although it’s not the same product, I have an article coming next week from @Ebs02 exploring his journey to “shallow” with another popular (and expensive) training aid.

It’s always hard to say if it’s worth it for several reasons. Not all golfers need to shallow. Some could potentially achieve it with a product like this, or it could end up being a giant waste of time and money. You just don’t know.

For example, I found a lot of success with the DST Trainer. I know other people who want to snap it over their legs after using it for an hour. Golf :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Assuming that the other one might be the PlaneMate, I actually bought that (and plan to work with it extensively this winter). Couldn’t figure out a good way to hack that thing together at home. :slight_smile:

1 Like

haha good guess - I imagine reverse engineering that thing is quite difficult!

I’ve actually seen some nice homemade ones on another golf forum lol. You definitely need to be at least a bit handy to cobble something like that together though.

+1 for those of us that spent $5 on driveway sticks instead of $30 on Tour Sticks!

3 Likes

I’ve noticed the Chinese are stealing IP on golf aids. Knockoff versions of most of the popular aids are available on eBay for about half the price of the real thing.

2 Likes

By the way, I’m not encouraging buying the knockoffs. I think it’s stealing. But not everyone agrees.

1 Like

It’s most certainly stealing!

2 Likes

Jon is absolutely right here: theft of golf training aid IP is a major problem. There are some degrees, I suppose: I have a bit more sympathy for the guy selling an inflatable ball on a lanyard on eBay for $10 (as opposed to the $45 that the Smart Ball goes for); but products that clearly evidence R&D (I hate seeing all the PuttOut knock-offs on eBay and Amazon now) are straight up theft.

1 Like

I’m not sure I see the difference, other than the guy with a ball on a lanyard made a bad knockoff

There’s a lot of time/risk/money that goes into developing a product. Years of expertise in the golf swing, getting prototypes made, investing in inventory and marketing (and much more). And then someone comes along and violates laws to make a knockoff based on what succeeds. I’d call that theft!

2 Likes