Game improvement irons

So after 5 years of limited but dedicated time playing…I finally got the old handicap down from a 20+ to just over 10. I’ve been playing Mizuno JPX 850 forged irons and love them.

I’m 47 now and in good but mot great shape (hit the gym 2-3 times per week and walk the course, but overweight and horrible diet). I’m thinking about moving to the JPX 921Hot Metal irons. I see the lofts are stronger for sure, but since I really don’t move the ball or trajectory, think it might be time.

Has anyone else moved from player irons to game improvement irons? What was your experience like?

2 Likes

I’ve always played game improvement irons (or whatever you consider CMBs and the ZX5) but I’d just look at your dispersion with different clubs… when I hit the zx7s, my misses were significantly worse, so I quickly eliminated them…

The zx5s felt good on regular shots, but more importantly they felt fine on mishits and my numbers didn’t drop off a cliff.

I’d suggest finding something you can miss with and playing that.

2 Likes

I woudn’t necesarily consider P790’s a players iron, but I switched from those to Cobra Speedzones last year and the difference was dramatic. Even thouth the Cobra’s are stronger lofted, I hit the higher and further than the P790’s. I am 47 as well, and don’t see myself going to a smaller profile iron at this point in my golfin life.

2 Likes

Did you go with a full set of irons and wedges? I already switched to the Cleveland CBX2 cavity 56…am thinking of going cavity back on my 60 as well. If/when I switch, I’m thinking 5i-GW. I haven’t carried my 4i at all this year.

2 Likes

Funny you should mentrion the CBX2 wedges. As soon as I saw the results I was getting from the irons (5-GW) I immediatly replaced my 54 and 58 degree wedges withe CBX2. No regrets there either.

2 Likes

Oh man, the wedge debate is always fun for me… I tend not to hit my 54 or 58 full, so I’m gaming “specialty” wedges (Sub70 286 and JB)… i like them around the greens, and hit them fine with 3/4 shots… I do often wonder if I’m actually GAINING any advantage with them around the greens, though…

I might toy around with Cleveland wedges next year… I don’t know… I don’t open up my SW at all, but use it a ton around the green… not sure if I’d be better of with a more forgiving club or should just stick with what works… I don’t really have any complaints about my current wedges.

I love my CBX2 56. My GW is currently a 50 - so I’m not really sure if I’d benefit from a 52 or 54…maybe a 53, but it’s really hard to get option in left handed clubs. I’m still debating whether or not a cavity would help on my 60 - since I never use it full swing…just for high shots around the green where I need to carry a bunker and stop quicker.