Freeway Golf Course it's been 5 years

Five years ago this week the course I learned to play on closed. It was sold to a developer and now just sits, a 155 acres of weeds and memories. It was one of the first African-american totally owned facilities and all players, no matter who you were was welcomed. I played alot there because it was a fun layout with a couple of 600 yd par 5s, way before that came into vogue, the front 9 was long and wide open, the back 9 was like playing in a closet it was so tight
It was the location of my first Ace a 220 yd 4 iron that I didn’t see go in, I just heard the whoop from 15th tee that we’re drinking for free tonite It was only like $20 to play with a cart and you could always get a game if you dared. I also thought it would be nice to pay a little tribute to my golf instructor, Mr.Bishop, who taught me so much and introduced me to so many people in this game. If you want to read about an amazing ambassador of this game click here: http://www.tributes.com/obituary/show/William-Bishop-105885251

4 Likes

Enjoyed reading your post and the history of an obvious legend of the greatest game on earth.

TY, He was a really amazing teacher.Just had a total different concept of what the game is. Way b4 his time