Fixing Things While Playing

This is a reply on another topic but I wanted to get some feed back from you guys on this subject.

I just got finished with a 2 day tournament. I was tied for the lead in my flight after first day. Hit my driver typically well. One duck hook cost me but my irons were as good as ever.

Second day my irons are fading which I now realize is my “tendency” with my irons. Didn’t get it fixed till it was too late. When I fixed it I was hitting GIR. I have been thinking about this situation and I took an index card and will start a list of “fixes” for my “tendencies.”

So my fix for my fade is the glove or towel under the armpits thought process. I “tend” to take the club too far straight back and get separation - my arms from my torso - which causes me to hit outside in and fade. With a 20mph crosswind it was detrimental to my score.

I will write these fixes down ONLY on my tendencies that require minimal change to fix while playing. Not a bunch of swing change stuff at all. Just little “checks” that I can reference when my swing starts acting up in a consistent manner.

Your thoughts?

1 Like

Just reading your post it made me think of Bubba Watson’s swing. Getting really high with the hands and sweeping down for a 60 yard slice haha.

I think writing them down is a good idea. If you want to bring that to the course with you? I don’t know. That is up to you. I am thinking that you aren’t going to have a full card of bad habits that you need to reference each time you hit a bad shot or series of shots. For me that would be too much of a reminder that my swing is not perfect, almost like its sitting there waiting to be used.

I have my stock-flat-no wind carry distances for each club written down even though I already know them. If you want to add some drills for tendencies on the course then go for it if it helps you remember.
Personally I keep these in my head.

Great idea I’m stealing!
Played tourney in 25-30mph winds. Noticed toward end of round (when I get tired) I tend to lose spine tilt, causing an over-the-top out-to-in pull. I suspect my body knows I’m getting weaker and tries to swing harder to compensate.
Fix is one extra practice swing focused on spine angle and the mental acceptance it might land 10-20y shorter.

1 Like

One thing that really helped me was to slow things down, sounds strange. I have a tendency when things go wrong to speed things up. My walking pace gets faster, my heart rate is faster, my swing is rushed. So I hit a bad shot, if I follow that up with another bad shot…then I know to slow things down. Walk a little slower, breathe a little slower, Pre-shot routine still same, but maybe 2-3 seconds slower. That has helped me in the past. In windy situations, 3/4 of normal swing, try to slow the tempo, maybe one or two clubs. If I try and diagnose anything except close the toe on my putter, (which for me is easily diagnosable and corrected to a point on course) trying a fix on course just exacerbates the entire issue. That’s what I do…try it and see if it helps you, it may, it may not

2 Likes

My approach is similar to dp’s and MJ’s, but they expressed it better, earlier. When my ball striking goes awry, it’s usually because I get too quick. To help, as I begin my address, I take a deep breath & exhale. My only swing thought is a deliberate “back-and-through”.

On windy days, I’ll try to slow tempo, up-club by 1-2 and shorten swing a bit. I also try not to stress, because every other player on the course is paying in the same conditions - it’s not windy just for me.

2 Likes