Fastest Round of Golf you Ever Played

In a cart, I can book through a round. My group of 4 currently 3 riders and I always walk. Saturdays we are the 3rd group off always. We routinely finish 3h24m. AND we think we are playing slow. But usually by the time we hit 13…there’s 2 holes of daylight between us the group behind us. So what’s that tell you about the 2 groups in front of us…and there’s always like almost 1 hole of daylight between them and us. Just kinda shows you what Pace of Play could and should be. The fastest I ever played 18 was with my uncle on my 26th BD. I shot 72, he creamed me shooting 76 that day (things you never forget) I had to give him 4 a side! But we were 2nd group off at 547am, we rode in a cart. 3rd hole the group in front let us play through. We were at the diner having breakfast by 730 am. 1H38m! And we took our time…LOL!

My club is just under 6000 yards (with tons of elevation change). Playing on my own around dawn, I walk 18 at right around 2 hours. I could probably do 1:30-1:45 if I intentionally played speed golf.

4 Likes

How fast do you think you could play in a cart? And still take your time. If you keep it in play…I bet 1.5 hours easy.

Probably right around 1.5. Walking I can hike up some inclines that carts have to go around, so it wouldn’t be THAT much quicker, but still fast.
All hypothetical though as I hate playing with golf carts and will continue to refuse to use them as long as I am able to.

1 Like

Ditto. I walk, doc says walk. Game was meant to walk. I don’t carry anymore, I use a 3 wheeler caddytek. I will ride in our afternoon 9 after the morning 18, when temp gets over 90 and humidity starts to get nasty

1 Like

Playing on my own I’ve got round in about 1h40m. That’s pretty much booking it and not stopping for anything. The one that sticks out was a four ball eightsome (alternate shot) playing a 7,400 yard course with some healthy walks between tees and greens. We were in the clubhouse having teacakes 2h40m after we started.

Played a 2-ball at Royal St Georges one time and we were going basically as fast as we could and wound up calling two foursomes through. We were done in about 2.5 hours. They were flying.

My brother and I walked a round in < 2 hr. We were first group out . The only thing following group saw was vapor trails.

My usual four ball, three riders, me walking, typically gets it done in 3:30 or so.

2 Likes

I usually three-wheel it. I prefer to carry, but when I did it earlier this Spring, the straps were chaffing the hell out of my back/shoulders. Otherwise, I check heat-humidity. When temperatures get mid-80s I’ll ride. No sense dropping over at this point in my life.

1 Like

If pressed for time and the course is wide open here is a good game:

If you hit a gir, take one putt
If you miss the gir only hit your chip (no putt)

Focus on:
GIR
How many putts you hole or put inside 3 ft
How many chips you put inside 6 ft

This actually takes away the variance of putting outside of 3 ft and gives you a great view of your game

I can do 18 in 2 hours or less doing this as a single

2 Likes

As a single walking (with a push cart to preserve my back) I’ve made it around my home course in under 2 hours without feeling like I’m rushing.

Couple weeks ago I played 9 during my lunch break in roughly 45-50 min. There was a little more pep in my step during that one tho so I wasn’t too late getting back to the office

1 Like

I’m fortunate to have a couple buddies who are penciled in as the first group off every day at their club. I join them fairly often and as a threesome or foursome, we finish in about 2:15 without really trying to push it.

Only downside is, it has spoiled me. If I play anywhere else and it takes anywhere near 4 hours, it feels like a marathon.

We all know that feeling. I remember penciling in 4 hrs to play a round, I do find it unnecessary. I honestly feel an 18 hole round should be played in under 3.5 hours max…Munis need time clocks… :joy:!

1 Like

Covid hasn’t helped with this either. Last year we spaced tee times out to 15 minutes and allowed single-rider carts. 3:15 rounds became the norm. Now that we’ve returned to 10 minute spacing and two per cart we’re back to 3:50 rounds - still better than pre-covid! - but some are complaining about PoP…

I used to regularly play between 1:30-2:00 at Dakota Dunes CC as a kid when riding. Walking there was no way. It’s 7.5 miles to walk that course.

Cart gang for life.

1 Like

Lufkin Texas with my college roommate… it was north of 105 degrees…

I believe it took us just over 80 minutes, but we caught a group on 17.

It was hot.

I enjoy the flora & fauna, banter with other golfers, weather, fresh air, even the occasional search n rescue for a pro v1. Guess I never realized golf was a speed sport :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Same, but if it stretches over 4.5 hours the anger sharks start swimming.

1 Like

A course we rarely visit is notorious for 1 group on green, 1 group in fairway and a group on tee box we’re rolling up to. It was much better with last years :15 spacing betwix tee times.

1 Like

I usually try to strike a balance between fast and social… that round was fast for survival sake! It was very hot.

Honestly, my ideal round is 3-3:30… that’s a good enough pace to be moving without hustling.

This. This is why we finally ponied up and joined a private club. The course I played at the most stacked people on top of each other. Three groups on every hole. Rarely got to finish a round there.

1 Like