Expectations for Golf When Things Get Back to Normal

Going through past Practical Golf articles, I found myself reading this one on expectations (and especially time’s impact on them). In the article, there’s three general buckets golfers fall into based on how much time they have for the game:
Scenario #1: You have very little to almost no time to practice, or play much
Scenario #2: You can play on average once a week, and can devote a few hours of practice
Scenario #3: I have the time; I want to see how low my golf scores can become!

For a while, I was very much in scenario #2 (sometimes straying into #1), but ever since COVID hit, I’ve been very much in scenario #3. If I’m not working or spending time with my family, I am doing something golf related (either playing, practicing, reading/writing about it). For a bit I was wondering if I was going to burn myself out on it, but six months in that’s not been the case (if anything, I’m just getting in deeper). I do wonder how much of this has been determined by the current environment (working from home, most other entertainment options closed, etc.) and what will happen once things are back to “normal” (as much as that is possible). I think that this current golf normal is going to stay my normal. Thinking about anything I was doing with my free time in 2019 and I don’t think I would rather be doing any of that instead of doing something golf related like I am now. Does that mean that my scores are destined to go lower? I’d like to think so (but not putting pressure on that), though really it’s about enjoying the game and making the space in my life for it.
Okay, well now that you’ve read my ramble, how about you? Has these days changed your golfing situation at all? Also, which of the scenarios from that article to you think you’re in?

2 Likes

I have been #3 for 2 years now. Just starting to lack motivation.

I think the biggest change when life returns to normal will be kids and their activities. That is going to cut into a lot of golf time.

1 Like

I’ve been #2 for quite sometime now. Not sure I’ll get to #3 until retirement. That said, I sure hope when things find a “new normal” that there will be fewer people golfing…I miss being able to go whenever I want on a weekday with very little resistance at any course…they all seem to be full nowadays.

1 Like

I vary between #1 and #2 depending on the month with work and family stuff. I wish I could get to #3.

I know someone who has already played over 250 rounds this year. Don’t know if I could handle that much, but I wish I could get 1/3 of that.

3 Likes

I’m a #2 and probably will be for the foreseeable future. With joining our club I may be able to sneak in some twilight nines here and there during the week. I’m hoping a new work schedule opens me up to be a 2/3 hybrid, but that’s yet to be determined.

I think this is where having an at home set up just makes sense even if you’re not in a place where winter ruins everything like I am. For people with young kids it’s almost impossible to get away, but it is possible to slip into the garage for an hour while remaining “available” to your family.

1 Like

My kids have learned that if they don’t see me inside, they can just listen for the sound of balls hitting the net in the back yard. I don’t have a ton of space, but making the most of it.

3 Likes

I’m a #3 right now. Covid has really changed how i spend my time with both work and my family, but has also opened up flexibility to spend more time on my game. I’m not sure if #3 will continue as we move past Covid but I’m really enjoying going down the rat hole of golf.

2 Likes

I’m retired and therefore #3.

2 Likes

I’m hoping to retire in the next year or so. If all works out, I’ll go from playing 36 holes a week to a bunch more. So, #3 further into #3

4 Likes

#3 here…i have 2 boys that are 13 and 14 and in love with the game…we get to play all the time and my wife cant say anything because I take them with me!

It truly is amazing watching them try to get better and better and grind at the game. It always gives me perspective about how hard this game truly is!

John

3 Likes

I flip between #1 and #2. I have two kids under 2.5 years old. Wife pretty much thinks golf is public enemy #1 at the moment

2 Likes

Recently joining the retirement ranks, I’m now heavily into scenario #3. I just hope my body holds up long enough for me to start shooting my age on a regular basis.

2 Likes

@davep043, and maybe work in a little practice? :wink:

I know what you mean @TimS. I was planning to start practicing after playing each round but quickly found out that my body didn’t agree.

I already try to get a couple of 45 minute sessions in most weeks, who knows what I’ll do it in not going to an office 5 days a week.

1 Like

The coronavirus has changed everything about my golf situation, haven’t been able to take more group and individual lessons, and won’t be able to try the simulators at a club a few miles away! I expect to have scenario #3, only limited by amount of $$ on hand for fees. Hope to be playing with relatives and others next year, and taking advantage of more lessons and the simulator!

1 Like

I don’t know if you were talking about me. I’m up to 303 rounds. As you can guess I am #3 I used to hit 100 balls before each round when I started but now I just play and when I play in the late afternoon I go back to the putting green and don’t go home till I hole a chip. Sometimes I have to turn the spotlight on to see where the holes are.

1 Like

One place that 2020 has impacted my golfing life is that my wife and I have decided not to take any golf destination trips as we have in years past. Not this Summer and currently no plans for over the Winter, either.

And I hate to be negative … and hate to disagree with @CoryO but … I have no expectations that life in the near future will ever resemble life from the recent past; ie. there really will develop a whole 'nuthah “new normal” …

Everyone is welcome to disagree with me any time! But in this case, I’m certainly in agreement with you. I was only referring to a “normal” (pre-COVID) golf frequency. I know all that other stuff is unlikely to completely return to how things were.

1 Like

Ha ha … it just seems that I usually do agree with what I see you post!

But to answer the original question… I was #2 and the past few seasons have been edging towards #3 … and would be firmly in there this year but have to take at least a day or two off between golf sessions…