Epic Speed Test

Note these are my results only, but I thought this was useful. I’m 64, 14 handicap, still a learning golfer.

Driver SS–92-101, mostly like 94, an occasional 88.

Playing a Ping G 410 plus–a tremendous fairway finder, very accurate. Drives 215-245 carry, average like 225. Probably.

Went to test the Epic Speed. Head to head, with the exact same swing speed and smash factor, the Epic Speed gave me 3 mph extra ball speed, 10 more yards of carry, and 5-10 more yards roll. So–15 20 yards extra apples to apples on monitors (hitting into a range, so we could see the flight). Took it on the course, no loss of accuracy, 240 becomes the average, 270 the big outlier. Worse was 215–but that was straight uphill, no roll and a limited carry.

This seems like a winner for me, but will test a little more. I know technology doesn’t often move a lot–but 3 mph ball speed with all else being equal is a substantial improvement. Also given no loss in accuracy.

Anyone else seeing similar results?

3 Likes

I find Ping drivers to be very accurate, but very short. So not surprised by your results.

1 Like

Callaway has been at the top of the “launch Monitor” race for a couple of years now. Your results fall in line with a lot of what I have seen from test results regarding Epic.

2 Likes

Recently did a brief demo, looking to potentially replace/upgrade my actually not too old 4W. Tried a Ping G425, TM SIM2, Titleist (something??) and an Epic Speed with the Project X Cypher shaft.

For me, the Epic Speed was the clear winner … but I’ll note that a lot of the performance gain I’m getting is coming from the shaft … it seems to be a good fit (literally) for me. Oh, fyi, I’m close to the OP in that I’m 65 and swing speed somewhere around 90ish.

Is that the Epic Speed Fairway? Are they closed or neutral at address?

1 Like

So–played the Epic Speed demo again–almost the same number of fairways hit as the Ping, but distance has increased a bit on average as I think I get more confident. 3 in the 250 plus range, 2 in the 240s, 203s when I don’t strike it very well. I think I my stop dating dating the Epic Speed and make a marriage proposal.

With a pre-nup.

1 Like

Yes, I have a fairway. Was trying to get a pic at alignment to show but it wasn’t coming out too good…

Anyway, to my eye it appears fairly neutral at setup. I know a lot of typical recreational market clubs may have a draw bias, but if this one does it’s not too noticeable.

Was speaking with a friend last night who just picked up an Epic Speed driver, with the PX Cypher shaft, to replace a Ping. He seems to be pretty happy with the switch.

Thanks–I’m pretty sold on the Epic speeds!

1 Like