DTC - Who do you play and what has your experience been like?

On the topic of direct to consumer clubs, I’m excited that there are starting to be more “names” out there in the space. Sub70 seems to be doing amazing things and even Hogan is a DTC brand now. BombTech seems to be a viral marketing success at the very least, even if I can’t speak to playability.
I’ve been on the DTC train for a while now with almost all of my bag being GigaGolf, a brand I highly recommend if just for the quality for the dollar ratio (really can’t build a good set for any cheaper IMO).
So what sort of DTC or non-name clubs do you have in the bag and what sort of experiences do you have to share?

Snell. I switched from 15+ years playing the ProV1 to the Snell MTB-X and haven’t looked back.
Super long.
Plenty of spin on approach shots from wedges to long irons.
Feel is good with the putter.
Only spot I find any issue with is feel around the greens. Not as soft or responsive as the ProV1, but certainly playable and hasn’t cost me any strokes.

3 Likes

Another Snell user. The MTB-Black and the MTB-X are so dang close to the ProV1 and ProV1x that I can’t tell the difference. And for $20 a dozen less, its the way to go.

Very happy Snell user for almost 5 years. First with the MTB Black and now the MTB-X

There is definitely room in this industry for DTC brands for a number of reasons. While the business model has its challenges there are some really significant success stories so far, and I expect more to pop up as time goes on.

2 Likes

Ball DTC is great to hear about too! I’ve played Cut & Vice, both were perfectly good. I’ve switched to playing the TP5 Pix, but the “practice” balls (cosmetic defects supposedly, but I can’t see any) for $20 a dozen. I don’t think TM makes a better ball than Snell, but I just like the pattern idea.

Snell is great. I’ve been buying them for a couple of seasons… I will stray into maxfli or Kirkland occasionally… but they are my go to favorite ball.

I’ll preach sub70 all day. Excellent service and they keep releasing new and better equipment. Customer service is excellent and prices are awesome.

Currently game the 4 utility and 5 iron… was going to pull the trigger on a full set but got furloughed. Now I’m waiting to see what they release this fall.

Ben Hogan Golf dominates my bag. Play their driver, iron set and wedges.

I also play Snell MTB Black balls from time to time.

Have heard great things about Hogan since they revamped their business model

1 Like

I’m planning to test Hogans next year. The combo set looks very nice.

2 Likes

I won a free driver and 3 wood from hogan two years ago… neither made my bag… I think woods are a much harder nut to crack…

Neither were bad, just not offered in a shaft I liked and even after a reshaft, didn’t love the driver. It looks nice and seems well built. Just not for me.

The irons look awesome though.

Maltby Irons - replaced my 10 year old Titleist AP2s with a combo set of TE Forged and MMB 17 - they go a roughly similar distance and look great.

2 Likes

Did you go for one of the set paks or fully custom? I feel like all the shaft options they offer can be a bit overwhelming.

Custom - got the same TT DG shafts I had in the AP2s and the same specs. It feels risky buying a set without hitting them but I’m happy with the result so far.

2 Likes

Not sure if Tour Edge qualifies but I have two of their EXS woods that just ROCK!!

Also got one of their Sure Out sand wedges for my wife and she loves that thing :+1:

1 Like

I love the snell brand too. Was pretty pleased with oncore as well. Feels a little harder but still spins pretty nice around the greens. I’ve gone back to the snells, but I’ll switch back and forth on occasion. I have to blame something for my scores.

1 Like

Hey guys, this is Jason Almeida, Sales & Marketing Director @ Snell Golf. Glad to see many of you have enjoyed our golf balls and happy we could jump into the new Practical Golf Forum! If you have any questions for Dean or our team let me know…

8 Likes

Welcome, Jason! Thanks for joining in!

Thanks Jason! We had a question pop up on this thread regarding the process Snell used to add the yellow color to the ball. Is it part of the urethane cover process or a painted coating?

2 Likes

Yes I saw that one under the DTC golf ball thread… “As for the yellow balls, you are correct that some yellow models have painted covers to make them yellow and others have a pigmented cover material. Some materials like Surlyn and cheaper TPU urethane are easy to pigment. Cast urethane is much tougher (and more expensive) product to the pigment which is why it has been painted yellow for many years now. Titleist has a bit more resources than us (by just a little, LOL), and does now have a system to color the cast urethane that we cannot yet offer. When you damage the paint layers, it does not impact performance but you can now see the natural urethane underneath the paint layers. Let us know of any other questions, happy to hear directly from players at Practical Golf.”

4 Likes

My Sub70 wedges are the best wedges I’ve ever owned. They are still performing well with over 150 rounds played. I’ve hit the Sub70 699s and their pro fairway wood. Both are solid clubs that I could game.

I’ve been playing the Snell MTB, MTB-BLACK and now MTB-X for the last 4 years. Really good performing ball.

3 Likes