Driver shaping - DECADE strategy

You make a good point.

Don’t disagree. The math changes quite a bit if we change ob to something more manageable though when trying to create some shotmaking

The ob is just so penal on a double cross

I think the main decade mantra is that changing your shot shape leads to a higher number of double crosses which are typically pretty damaging to scores

Yup. My understanding is that the overall goal of DECADE is elimination of double bogeys or worse. If we’re trying to hit shots we don’t feel comfortable with, does that support that goal in the long run or hurt it?

If the space between OB is 40 yards wide, it could possibly be the right play to hit a 6 iron off the tee even though we all hate doing that. But playing for an easy bogey is likely to work out better than hoping for the perfect shots for a birdie or par.

Two points I’d like to emphasize. 1) The mental approach to holes like this should be: “This is a ‘rescue’ shot for me. Rescue rules apply. Objective should be to get to a playable spot. Just like any other ‘rescue’ situation.“ For example say I’m under trees I can’t go over. Only options are under, around or out. Objective: get out of the trees to a playable spot. Play it that way, even from the tee.
2) important to have a functional opposite shape in your arsenal.
When I say functional, I don’t mean perfect. Driver shaping is very difficult (risky) for us (and should be avoided) but 3W-iron shaping should be attainable to some extent. Again, not pretty, but functional. For example, my opposite with 3W can be anything from dead straight to 50y offline, may not be in fairway but probably in a playable spot; all I’m trying to accomplish with a rescue situation.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

That is a good way to think about this I think.

A good strategy, though his comment about how Tiger “left some shots on the course” because he chose not to play driver “as much as he could” …Really?? Tiger as a player knew his misses (hooking drives), and knew how to strategize to work around them better than anyone, including Mr. Fawcett. He never used driver at The Open in 2006 but once in the final round, and won.

If someone has the distance of a tour golfer, they may never take out their driver at the average golf courses.
Jack Nicklaus intentionally tee off with shorter clubs at practice rounds at home course to leave longer distance to the green for practicing the shots needed for the next tournament.
He is also the one who will not practice or touch his golf clubs during the off season, so he could get rested physically and mentally, and to spend more time with his family. Perhaps this is why he could still play great golf into his late 50s.
Unlike the young golfers these days, trying to bite off more than they could chew. Injuries are imminent when ordinary human trying to be Superman.