Do you or Should you carry a 7 Wood?

24 years ago I was playing with my Uncle (he was the golfer in my family). I bent my 3 iron on a root during the round so it was unplayable. We came to the 225 yd par 3. I always hit a stock 3i…Didn’t have it, I would hit it somewhat inconsistently anyways. Unc says try my 7wood. I laughed…nice for a “senior golfer”, I said ok…I dropped one within 25 ft. I stood on that tee and dropped 3 more in a row with that club. Wasn’t laughing anymore! 7 Wood has been in my bag ever since…he made me get my own…LOL
2 Likes

I’m thinking about adding a 7 wood back in. I used to carry one, but the fitter put me into hybrids 5-6 years ago. I’m thinking about giving up the hybrids and putting a 5 and 7 wood…or also ditching the 3w and going back to 4w and 7w like before, I just seem to struggle more with the hybrids although yesterday I hit my 4h really well for some reason. I can hit 3 and 4 irons ok off the tee, but not nearly was well from the fairway. I would use any club as long as it worked well!

1 Like

In my early golf days I had a Callaway BB Warbird Heaven Wood that I loved. Haven’t played one since.

Anyone know what lofts these guys’ 7 woods are?

1 Like

I just recently put a 7 wood back in the bag, it is quickly becoming one of my favorite clubs. So much so, if they made a 9 wood that matched I would be tempted to give it a shot.

2 Likes

My old 3 iron was 21*, my current 7 wood is 23*…Typical loft of 7Wood varies by manufacturer but typically between 21* and 23*…I believe the original BB HeavenWood had a loft of 21*.

1 Like

Recreational, higher handicapper here - I carry a 7W (21*) and find it really useful … increasingly so as my swing improves.

On the longer side of that I have a 4W, and on the shorter side a 4H. For me this set makeup seems to be working well.

1 Like

My dad is in his 60s, only took up golf more regularly/seriously later in life. His 7 wood is his favorite club in the bag. To the point of I had to practically beg him to learn to hit his irons because all he wanted to do is pull 7 wood. He loved his 7 wood so much he found a 9 wood.

So yes, there’s definitely room in the bag for it if you are open to trying

1 Like

Last time I got fit, we tried all combinations of hybrids, irons and woods. Settled on the TM 7 wood and have not regretted it. Super easy to hit.

2 Likes

What is the difference between a 7 wood and a 3 or 4 hybrid? I am not clear on what club the 7 wood could potentially replace.

2 Likes

For me it would be a replacement for my 19 degree hybrid… but I get plenty of launch from my hybrid and just bought it!

I might one day replace it with a 7 wood, but not anytime soon… I think that end of the bag gets a little funky. For me, I go Driver, 3+ (tee club only), hybrid, 4 utility… and I have multiple uses for both hybrid and utility… different trajectories, different recovery shots… they both get used as punch clubs depending on the situation… hybrid is also hit off the tee a decent amount.

7 wood might not be a terrible replacement, but I hit the ball high enough with the hybrid, that I don’t think I’m missing anything.

2 Likes

My 7 wood and 4 hybrid go the same distance. I had intended on replacing the 4 hybrid with the 7 wood, as the 4 hybrid is a hook machine for me. As it turns out, that low hook has come in handy several times in the past few rounds. So they are both in the bag for now.

1 Like

I was planning on replacing the 4 hybrid with a 7 wood. I suppose it depends on the loft of the club as I have seen 7 woods from 20 to 24 degrees and 4 hybrids about the same. I used to carry both a 7w and a 4h, but the 7w was close to 20* and the 4h about 24* so there was a nice yardage gap.

Of course last night I used an old 3h that’s 22*, so basically a 4h, and I hit it great. It was a bit shorter with a heavier shaft so that may have helped me.

2 Likes

I recently acquired a 7 wood. I’ve had about 5 rounds with it in the bag and I’m in love with this club! Gives me better height and slightly more distance than my 5 iron - which I now leave out of the bag. First iron is a 6.

5 Likes

I’ve been thinking about a 5 wood or 7 wood for a while. I currently have a Ping G410 3 wood, which goes 225-230, and then an 18.5 degree hybrid that goes 205, so I have a pretty big gap. What I don’t know is whether I need a 5 wood or 7 wood to fill that gap.

Thoughts?

1 Like

I would say 5 wood. It will probably be about the same loft as your hybrid, but the longer shaft and greater MOI should get you that extra yardage you’re looking for.

3 Likes

My Srixon Z355 has been in my bag for over a year now. I rarely use it, but when I do it comes through for me. Today I only used it once, on an approach shot over a creek. I didn’t trust my hybrid for that shot, but I knew the 7w would fly high and straight. It did!

2 Likes