Do you keep putting stats?

Do you keep putting stats? No, Sometimes, Yes???

If you do what type of stats do you use for putting? and how do you act upon those stats? Let us know. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Yes I do. I use this tool Putting Stat Calculator It’s Free, so it’s for me! I think I’m a horrible putter, but I compare myself to higher echelon players. I’m a 7cap now. But for my Cap, My last round, I shot a 78 and the Calculator said I gained 7.5 strokes putting. I’m one of those guys that just wants to Jar everything. I am, however, a very good Lag Putter.

2 Likes

I was keeping some a few years back when I felt like I was putting poorly…and I was lol. I was 3 putting too often (speed) and missing short putts so I tracked 3 putts and total feet made for rounds. I did rule out or reduce a 3 putt count when my approach missed so far away and left a lot of slope that made 3 putting really likely. I worked hard on my stroke (with a pro) to reduce those missed short putts and changed my focus to improve speed control.

It worked well for me and I probably should have kept going, but now my full swing is on the fritz so that’s my focus…it’s like whack a mole fixing golfing issues.

3 Likes

I count all my putts and have a running total for the month to get an average and then I can compare month against month.

2 Likes

This is very nice. Keep up the solid work. Change that thought from “horrible putter” to a positive. You will be amazed how just something that simple thought will help you become better on the greens. Thanks for the post.

1 Like

I hear you. Plug one hole and another one opens up. That is Golf! :)) Thanks for the comment.

2 Likes

Well done. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

1 Like

No as far as for detailed data. I don’t keep a detailed putting statistic but just a simple putt per green and per round comparing to GIR as well as drive in fairway.
Reason being, I could not tabulate the condition and the element surrounding the present time when making the putts.
So, for a non- tournament golfer who does not need to know every little detail of the game, and doesn’t believe a game involving humans could be measured with 100% scientific method. It will help and ease the busy mind if data could be provided.
No one could provide 100% accurate data under the condition because it requires a team to follow the golfer with measuring equipment to get the true data.
Same as the fitting in the studio, the fitting will help as the data will help to determine the area needing improvement, not the final solution and certainly not a cure all.
So my putting record is just on the extra lines of the score card of how many putts was made. It tied in with the GRI closely. The more GRI, likely the more putts for that round.

2 Likes

As someone who doesn’t hit a lot of greens, number of putts is tied to how well I chip. Today over 36 holes I hit 8 in total but had 14 pars and a birdie

4 Likes

Haha, YES!!! Golf is like squeezing a balloon, just when you get it there, it ooches out someplace else.

Like yours better!

2 Likes

A simple way to keep track and make you aware.

1 Like

I would, if I found the right app to keep track of distance and number. I’ll try the USGA GHIN one next time I play.

Data is helpful for learning where the problems are.

3 Likes

Just my $0.02 - I like to keep it simple on-course. <12’ I’m looking to just get it close enough to make the next one. On 12-4’ I’ll note if I’m short, right/left or long as a pattern. Not too concerned if they don’t fall, but some will. If I miss >4’ (and I do) I’m jotting down a lost opportunity.
After round I’ll see what Arccos has to say.

3 Likes

Kinda similar to Fraser. I had been using Shot Scope for several years, but honestly tired of the post round editing so was not getting as much utility out of it as i could have.

Kinda know my tendencies - as a general pattern - and am simply always looking to improve on the basics of a good stroke on my intended starting line with good distance control.

I do note penalties… including 3 putts … as that’s effectively a lost stroke. How many times per round I’ll 3 putt is not as important to me as the fact that I did 3 putt…

Also the distance from where I 3 putted does not seem as material … can be from any start distance… :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Good post. Thanks for sharing.