Divot direction

Noticed my divots on my irons are quite to the left of my target. Is that normal?

What do you mean by left?

Like if the ball was in the center of a clock, and your target line was down 12, your divot started at 4 and left at 10? (So diagonally across the ball)

If so, yes, it’s common… but not ideal. That would be coming over the top and an outside to in swing.

Plenty of tips to fix it, my favorite is Adam young’s hammering the nail… just focus on hitting the inside of the ball.

If your divots are as they should be…after the ball…they will be going slightly left for a right hander. Some will disagree that they should be straight or even inside out. But I believe slightly left is correct.

My divots are after the ball and are typically 10 o’clock with target line at 12 o’clock.

1 Like

I am right handed so maybe things are fine.

My typical bad swing is over the top and outside in.

If your ball flight is good, then Yeah, that’s fine… I’d maybe be a little concerned your irons are too upright, but if you are on target, that’s great.

Craigers, I have thought about what you just mentioned and I need to check the lie angle On my clubs. I remember reading an article on how to check that maybe here on practical golf. Thanks.

1 Like

Lots of ways to do it… if you hit off mats, just look at the residue on the bottom of the club… if the toe is clean and the heel is coated, you are too upright.

You can also throw masking tape on the bottom and it will do the same thing… I guess foot spray might work here too.

Cool. Thanks. I appreciate the advice.

1 Like

No worries… focus on ball flight first, if it’s good there is no reason to worry.

But if the ball is going left of target, your lie angle might be off.

1 Like

Is divot direction tied more to the path or clubface?

Per this article from a PGA pro, it’s club path, not face angle. But, it also tells you lie angle.

Plus, it tells where your low point is. I’ve started sticking a stub tee into the ground, across the ball from where I am, to give me an indicator after my shot, of where my low point is in relation to the center of the ball.

EDIT: this GolfWRX article author and professional instructor, makes some ‘interesting’ claims about the relationship between the deepest point of the divot to ball position, and then correlating that to one’s handicap. Seems to me that would depend greatly on club and the individual golfer’s AoA, but what do I know? Interesting to debate, anyway.

Jayjay, thanks for the articles, they definitely help. I think the first one tells me a little more. Especially concerning the depth at toe or heel. I can get a little to steep and deep with the toe at times. As for HDCP on the second article may be true to a point, my handicap is higher more because of my short came around the green and poor putting at times. Not expected to have divot on a chip, but I do fat them at times which leads to strokes.

What I’m trying to do is connect the swing path and club face articles with divots. Lots of good information.
Thanks for the articles.