Ditching the hybrid(s)

I took a lesson last night and was hoping to figure out my hybrid 4h, but the end result is that I will ditch it and put a fairway wood back in the bag. Not for more height or distance, but for straighter shots and tighter dispersion. I was just noticeably straight with a fairway wood and it was easier for me to hit than a 4 or 3 iron or utility…although those were also better than the hybrid.

I have had hybrids (3, 4 and 5) in and out of the bag for years now with inconsistent results. I thought they made more sense for me given that I hit irons decently and tend to prefer shorter heavier clubs, but that just doesn’t seem to be the case. I liked how forgiving they were and how easy they were to elevate, but that generally led to bigger misses for me and I was always grabbing an iron and hoping I would nuke it and knowing my miss would usually be playable if not.

The only bad part is, although I have pro shop credit, there is not much available. I may see if I can resurrect an old 5 wood with a new shaft. I really liked my pro’s M3 5W, but he wouldn’t part with it lol. I think I may have an old 7 wood head or two as well that may be worth trying. Driver, 3, 5, and 7 may be at the top of the bag soon.

2 Likes

I just got a 7 wood yesterday to replace my 4 hybrid. They go the same total distance, but the 7 wood goes a lot higher and carries further. And it was straighter as well, my 4 hybrid is a hook machine!

2 Likes

My hybrid wasn’t a hook machine…it was worse as the misses were almost evenly split! I never knew which way it was going. I think I always struggled to align them. To my eye, an iron or wood is easier to line up.

2 Likes

I feel you…I struggled with my 4h for quite a while until I finally cut the shaft down to around a 5 iron length or just under. Now I hit it so consistently that I took the 4 iron out of the bag. That said, I’ve not had a fairway wood in my bag for 10+ years…I just have such a descending blow that I can’t figure out how to make a fairway wood work well for me. I also hit a 2 iron utlility…but only off a tee on long par 3’s or super tight landing areas.

1 Like

I have a 3 utility I can hit well off a tee, but I’m not so good off the deck with it. I actually used to play a 7 wood, but the same pro/fitter replaced my 4w & 7w with 3h and 5h about 6 years ago. I stuck with those for awhile, but then started playing around with utility irons and different hybrids. Hopefully I can buy or build something that I can start to have some faith in.

2 Likes

I hit my 5 hybrid consistently well - yes shorter than my 5 wood but I am not hitting my 5 wood all that well all of the time … the lost distance doesn’t seem to be hurting me … I have 5,6,7,8 hybrids 8 iron - just replace the 3 hybrid for my 7 wood … just not sure about the configuration of my bag just yet but am working on it!

2 Likes

We each get 14 clubs… i think figuring out the shots you want to be able to hit (distance, shape, height) and the options you want to have for tee shots, punch outs and general tomfoolery and building a bag around that makes a ton of sense…

Personally, the top of my bag is driver, 3 wood, hybrid and 4 utility… 3 wood goes 250ish, hybrid 230ish and utility 220ish. It’s not gapped perfectly for distance, but exact yardages here aren’t going to happen and it’s enough to get by.

It covers a ton of punch options and out of the rough options… I’m also loving my hungry off the tee. My 4 utility can be a wind cheater if needed, as well…

Basically, I found a top of the bag setup that works for me and I’m confident with the 4 clubs… if you aren’t confident with a club, replace it or spend some time getting to know it.

4 Likes

It has taken me about 4 years to find the hybrids and fairways I can actually hit. I am sure there is plenty of overlap, but I currently carry 4w, 7w and 3-5 hybrids.

The 4w and 4h are the workhorses, but I like having the 7w available.

3 Likes

I took hybrid out for a driving iron. Best golf decision I’ve made this year

3 Likes

I say use what works best for you … ie. the right tool for the job at hand …

3 Likes