DECADE Strategy

You’re welcome I don’t think you’ll be disappointed!

Thanks, Craigers. The app doesn’t offer much practice tips, only putting (mainly speed drills) and block training for irons and driver.
I know I should practice more, but time is an issue. Practice happens mostly when I play my weekly round of golf.

Good idea! I will adopt that in my stats.

Tomorrow I’m playing in my first round since going through month 1 of DECADE foundations. Can’t wait to see how well I pick targets and commit to shots!

The only difference as far as I understand is that the foundations introduces the information over a period of time while Elite gives it to you all at once. I don’t think there is a difference once you get through the 6 months of foundations.

I got mine from Coobs Golf and I love it. Great quality and I was able to customize it!

3 Likes

I’m a big fan of the approach Scott uses to come up with this system but am sceptical of its relevance to amateurs like me. For example, as someone with over 100 yards of dispersion with my driver (and equally erratic throughout the bag), I usually don’t have an option off the tee that’s guaranteed to keep the ball in play. If I hit driver on a hole with 70 yards between penalty hazards like his driving decision chart would suggest I would hit it into a penalty situation upwards of a third of the time which is simply too often.

1 Like

Certainly true that you wouldn’t be guaranteed to keep the ball in play, but I think the idea that you would score the best you can within your ability level by following the system would still hold true (penalty shots included). There would probably still be a wide range of possible scores, but still the band would narrow with ideal strategy and then that would continue to narrow as you improve your ability level.

1 Like

What I’ve actually been doing is replacing the 65-yard threshold with 90 (I figure I keep 90% of my drives within a 90-yard window). Then I also add the condition that if the hole is so narrow to the point I can’t keep any club in play and still hit the green in regulation, I hit driver and take my chances (provided the hazards aren’t stroke+distance).

1 Like

@ScottFawcettDECADE

Scott, I’d love to hear you talk about Rory’s 2011 masters round and then subsequent US open victory in one of your long form podcasts.

While he was leaking oil on the front just a bit, he made the turn with an opportunity to win but subsequently begins to press and compound mistakes. He then seems to completely mentally check out with the 4 putt on 12

Fast forward a few months he plays some of the most incredible, relaxed/stress free golf to blow away the US open field. I watch the congressional YouTube video frequently to put the image in my head of relaxed, committed swings finishing in perfect balance.

Just seems to have a lot of the lessons DECADE is trying to highlight embedded in the story

3 Likes

I’m playing a 2 man tournament this weekend, Quota format, so birdies are worth more. Not sure if it’s team total or best ball, but one of the holes is a 325 yd downhill par 4, ravine down the right and native area left of the path. I figured 300 yd carry would be easy since it’s downhill, but trying to decide if I should try to go for it aiming to the left side of the green or if I should lay back w/ a 5 iron to a sand wedge in.

1 Like

If your dispersion gives you a reasonable shot of being within that “safe” window at the end, I’d say go for it.

1 Like

First rule of DECADE, don’t chase anything. Use the math to give you an advantage.

2 Likes

Yep, probably a 75% chance to land safely and get par or better, 25% chance of lost ball or bad lie. On the green would be a good miss. Layup area is wide and would leave a wedge in which would give me a likely par, reasonable chance for birdie

Keep in mind you should be way more aggressive in a best ball format. If it’s best ball I’d have to think this is a clear go for it.

If not, I’d probably layup. If I’m reading correctly you have less than 50 yards between penalty hazards which DECADE would say is too narrow to challenge with driver. That being said, if you feel like you can play from the native area left of the path that could change the math a lot.

1 Like

My thoughts too. Too bad I’m missing the practice round. Would be good to try it first, and definitely would in a casual round

1 Like

All comes down to if you can miss it 300 down hill. 285 seems dead. Without course knowledge, if you’re not certain you can fly it 300, lay up. That fairway is wide enough that you likely should it hit it w/ 5 iron and you’ll have a birdie look inside 30 feet most of the time.

If best ball and your partner is in fairway and will make par most of the time, if you feel reasonably good about the carry then go for it!

1 Like

Ended up playing the hole in Eagle-birdie this week. Latest up first day in to the wind then holed a wedge for Eagle from 100. 2nd day drove the green and 2-putted for birdie.

6 Likes

Haha that’s kind of hilarious, well played

1 Like

Sounds like you should get charged extra on the next DECADE renewal :wink: Great job.

2 Likes