Crossover vs "anti-left" hybrid

I’m looking to replace my hybrids because they’re the only clubs in my bag that I’m prone to hooking. It seems pretty clear that something is different with these clubs, and it seems other people have this problem as well.

I see some people use a 7W instead of a hybrid, but I don’t really like the idea of switching to a longer club, so I’m thinking the Ping crossover or an “anti-left” hybrid like the Sim2.

I have good distance relative to my handicap, so I’m willing to sacrifice a bit of forgiveness with distance in favor of minimizing the chance of big hooks.

Any thoughts on why the crossover or the anti-left hybrid might be a better choice?

I know it would be ideal to get fitted, but that’s not an option right now. I’m planning to buy something used to experiment with. Just trying to figure out which direction to go.

Thanks!

1 Like

I’d highly recommend the utility irons from sub70. Affordable, forgiving and I just like mine… you can get one built for the cost of a used ping. 699 utility.

I’d argue their pro hybrid is also anti left, but I’ve never struggled with hybrids so I can’t say for sure… I don’t hook mine, but I don’t hook anything.

1 Like

I’ve had problems in the past hooking my hybrid - when every other club in my bag is a fade 99% of the time. I ended up cutting my shaft on the 4 hybrid down to a 5 iron length and feel so much more comfortable with it…no more hooks. Lost a little distance, gained a ton of confidence and usability.

Have you tried different shaft length in your hybrid?

2 Likes

I’m never one to stop someone from buying a new club but I also understand my own golf budget is not always positioned for new clubs.

One recommendation I would suggest is get some lead tape and apply to the rear toe side of your hybrids. I did this on my Callaway Apex hybrid and saw a significant reduction in my draw/hook tendency. Might be worth a shot

3 Likes

Thanks, guys! I ended up ordering a crossover, but good to know that if it doesn’t work out I can experiment with shaft length and lead tape.

2 Likes