Crazy Swing Ideas

Alright, been a bit since I posted about a crazy swing idea, but I’ve been trying something the last couple of days that has been working for me, so I might as well write about it.
I’ve been trying to figure out a “swing trigger” for a bit now, a particular physical action to start my swing. Matthew Wolff’s hip/shoulder opening move right before starting the backswing is the most obvious example out there, but didn’t really work for me. What did feel good for me, though, was setting up to the ball as normal, turning just my hips forward open to the target line, then (here’s the weird part) starting my backswing from that open hip position. For whatever reason, this seems to be syncing up my upper and lower body much better than having my hips square. Last couple of days doing this my ball-striking has been really good. Plenty of bad shots of course, but really no bad strikes.
As said before, I’m always playing around with my swing, so it probably won’t stick, but just thought I would share.

4 Likes

I like the idea of a physical motion to start the swing… I’ve toyed with basically flexing my left foot to almost push against it to start my back swing… Haven’t really built any consistency with it, need to get some more reps in!

I think the TRIGGER part makes a ton of sense, sort of a commitment to now it’s time to swing the club. Whether its physical or mental is different, and can range from squeezing the grip to the Wolff maneuver.

I think the challenge is building the routine into your swing and making it part of the routine. That’s where I struggle the most with stuff like this (pre shot routines, triggers, clearing my mind)… just building the habit takes repetition, and that’s something I’m not great at practicing!

3 Likes

It’s definitely crazy, but I have been toying with trying to translate my basketball free throw routine into a pre-shot routine. In high school our coach made us shoot 100 free throws after ever practice and you had to make over 50%. I was a decent shooting guard, but sucked at free throws. I realized I needed movement so I was able find a routine of bouncing the ball 3 times and then the free throw was essentially a 1-piece motion for me. I couldn’t rush it, but the movement needed to flow. I got to where I would make at least 90% and it seemed easy.

When I swing the golf club well it reminds me of that feeling. I haven’t really found that pre-shot sequence that works though. Jason Dufner’s waggling helps, but then I don’t always settle down and flow into the swing. I am maybe chasing the wrong thing, but I really struggle with my tempo and also with getting “ball bound”. Throw a ball at me and I can hit it, but set it on the ground and I’m sometimes useless lol.

4 Likes

I love crazy swing ideas and a trigger! I set up to the ball and then go pretty high hands (almost pushing the toe of the club into the ground)…the. Start my backswing. I’ve been doing it for the last month or so…even got my irons bent to a +1 lie. Hitting straight and solid so far.

To tie a bow on this particular swing weirdness, I realized that my hips and shoulders had started creeping a bit too closed at address. This “swing trigger” was opening them up and giving more space for the swing. Rather than using this move, I’m just taking a more open position at address and that’s really helped.

2 Likes

I find that just counting in my mind helps get me started, and keeps other thoughts from getting in the way of my subconscious swing.

2 Likes

I’ve started humming. I’m humming a tune through address and impact. The result is an audible tune to keep my mind off of the swing, additionally, if I “try” to hit the ball or swing too hard the humming ceases or skips. It then reminds me to stay relaxed on the next swing. It seems to be a good way to quell the voices too.

4 Likes

That is interesting…I’ve done something similar that I think i saw on Youtube. I take a deep breath before starting the backswing then let it out slowly as I complete the swing. If my breathing changes, I recognize I’m swinging too hard and tightening up (usually my grip) and not making a full turn.

2 Likes

I started doing something similar late last year. It stemmed from my free throw routine as I would do the same thing there to settle down and then as a trigger to start the sequence. I had never been able to find a good “trigger” for my swing, but breathing seemed to work…it was very late in the season though so may be just the honeymoon. I always seem to find something in September and then can’t seem to locate it again in April lol.

2 Likes

Haha, I wrecked my swing for at least a week by thinking about how I was breathing DURING the swing… It was awful…

3 Likes

I am looking at the landing spot on chip shots and short pitch shots; not the ball!

I was struggling with chips and short pitches, you can all guess how ( I will spare the dirty details) and tried all manner of things, with out any of them working. Thus usually looking at the ground 5 to 20 yards in front of the ball.

But looking at the landing spot smoothed out my motion and was a miracle.

3 Likes

Throwing the golf club.

Early in my golf journey I found Shawn Clement’s Wisdom in Golf. I attempted the positions but struggled with consistency. I could have really good rounds and really bad rounds. I took some other lessons person and saw considerable progress. But, I’ve come full circle.

I realize now that I did not follow Shawn’s main idea.

Target focus.

I would sometimes pick a target, and I would set my positions for the shot I wanted to hit. But, I would still try to “make a good swing”. I now realize, the target has absolutely got to be the focus when the golf swing is initiated and Shawn’s club throwing drill/analogy gets everything I want out of the golf swing.

For example, I used to really struggle to hit fades. However, when I “throw” my club into a deep release towards the left side of my target, miraculously I can hit whatever type of fade I want. A low flighted fade simply needs a “throw” low and left of the target. A high cut that lands soft requires a high, left throw of the club.

I ignored these parts of what Shawn said but now, as I’ve matured and played more golf, I’m convinced that absolute Target focus and the feeling of throwing the club at my target is the recipe for my most inspired golf.

The ball simply gets in the way as I “throw” the club at my target. Simple, yet difficult to execute. Yet, I know when I didn’t stay committed to the deep release to my target. And the solution is easy. Stay committed to the target and release deep into my target.

For anyone who’s interest is piqued, check out Shawn Clement’s throwing, Target focus, and release videos on YouTube. The Intent reigns supreme. Good luck.

1 Like

If you like the club-throwing idea, and I agree, if it promotes a fluid, unconscious swing: you owe to yourself to read some Fred Shoemaker on the subject. I really, really enjoyed his view on golf (and life!) in Extraordinary Golf.

What are we trying to do when we play golf? What are our motivations? What helps us better achieve those? Great questions that I asked a lot more of many of my ordinary, everyday activities, after I read Extraordinary Golf.

1 Like

I’m currently going down a rabbit hole of bio mechanics… going to see if I have any major differences in my setup vs my “natural setup”

2 Likes

Some sessions at a place like Golftec? Seems like the kind of endeavor that multiple cameras and computer analysis could really help.

Damn it, your post was supposed to be quoted in this one, Craigers. Anyway, I trust the idea came through.

My own golf experimentation is on hold until we get this move finished.

1 Like

I haven’t involved a swing coach yet… though if I remember correctly, my assistant pro’s dad is a professor of bio mechanics… I’ve been meaning to take a lesson from him anyways, so I might see if he wants to join me on this rabbit hole.

1 Like

Have someone check your hands on the grip, and the way you go through the impact.

1 Like

I tried humming, but it didn’t work for me. I’d always drift to two songs; Dance of the Bumblebee or Hall of the Mountain King.

Last Summer I went back to my “natural setup”, which is a slightly open stance (see CoryO, above). It seems to give me more room to swing and get through impact as well as more free-flowing. My winter golf dome sessions are an attempt to lock this in so that I don’t have to think about it. Good luck with your swing comparisons.

I think this is where Shawn Clement’s stuff is really good. The setup is a function of the task we are trying to perform. Are we trying to hit a ball or are we sending our energy out to a target? Letting our setup and other things (grip, transition, etc) self organize to the task seems to come much more naturally and allows for easy adjustments.

1 Like