Construction Question

So, this is sort of golf related. Hoping someone has experience.

We used to have a full gym in what is supposed to be our unfinished storage area of our basement. Since we had our son we have a lot more to store. I wish we had a third garage stall. My mistake when we built the home.

We recently sold most of our gym equipment and are clearing out that area to use most of it for storage. What’s left open is the perfect space for a golf bay for dear old dad (me).

The problem is my ceilings are exposed trusses and only 8 feet high. Not tall enough for me to comfortably swing a driver. Believe me I’ve tried.

So, my idea is to cut down into the concrete and dirt to give myself another two feet. Probably an 8x8 area.

I know this will be expensive. My question is can anyone give me any idea how expensive?

Full disclosure, I’ve reached out to some contractors with no response yet. That’s why I’m here.

Have you thought about shallowing your back-swing like Rickie Fowler? :joy:

Sorry, I don’t know the cost, and I also have a 8ft garage ceiling where I can’t swing.

I have no idea but I’m sure it would cost a lot less to swing a wedge. :grinning:

1 Like

Mash driver all day, brother.

One guy just got back to me and said, “Sheesh man, like $50,000??”

So, first, I won’t be hiring him. Second, I hope he’s wrong. :joy::joy:

1 Like

You could always rent a jackhammer from Home Depot or Lowe’s and have a little DIY weekend. I mean you can’t mess it up too bad, right?!

You can probably get 8” or so of space from the ceiling by using the gap to the floor above, might just need to reinforce some beams to be able to cut away a section.

Listen, I can mess up the most menial of tasks. Messing with my foundation is one of those things I’d stand in a Home Depot and say to my wife, “I can totally do this.” Then get home and say, “F***. I can’t do this. And shouldn’t do this.”

This is what I was thinking. I think 6-8” would give me all I need. I just need a structural person to come in and tell me how to do it without my main floor collapsing in on me.

1 Like

To be honest, the garage shouldn’t be part of the foundation, so you’re safe there. It would just be a big mess. Hahahaha

Oh no no. I’m talking about doing this in my basement. If my wife would just be cool about parking outside in Nebraska winters I’d take over the whole garage for it. :joy:

Ohhhh. Hahaha. Well that is a huge difference. Yeah, leave that to the pros. And the wife outside during the winter, well sometimes sacrifices have to be made. :joy::rofl:

I keep tellin’ her I’ll put in an automatic starter for her. What more does she need!?

1 Like

Exactly. Sometime our ladies can be so demanding. :joy:

I have 9’ and want another foot. I think 6-8” is very conservative and you will be banging the ceiling frequently. I also looked into cutting into the floor and basically everyone laughed and quoted a number that would make me go away. I even called a guy who built new basements under existing houses.

I could do so much cool stuff if my wife were a little more flexible on house structural issues. :rofl:

3 Likes

I ended up giving up my garage space. We have 11 foot ceilings out there. Summer hasn’t been an issue, but we’ll see once winter comes. Garage is fully insulated and does stay pretty warm. I also bought a small heater that puts out pretty good heat.
I work from home, so I don’t drive much. I’ll have to remember to go out once a day and fire up the car just to be safe.
Next house will have an indoor space just for my sim bay. That’s for sure. Looking forward to home prices coming back down to earth in 2047. :woozy_face:

6 Likes

You could go full Allen Doyle with your swing
https://youtu.be/JflxhDee8W4

1 Like