Clubs recs for someone getting back into golf?

Hey all – a buddy of mine wants to start playing golf again. He played growing up, and he’s a good athlete, but hasn’t played consistently since high school. I made a similar decision a couple years ago, and I just bought some used Callaways online. Getting the fit just right was less important than just getting a decent set of inexpensive clubs that would let me start getting out on the course again. I’ll likely get fit for a much nicer set at some point this year. I think he’s looking for something similar to just get himself started: he’s got a budget of about $1,000. I’ve recommended he just check out Callaway pre-owned, but that site – and a lot of the other pre-owned-club sites – can be a bit overwhelming with all of the different options. Any advice on where I should direct him? Or maybe there’s a cheaper set of new clubs that might fit what he needs? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

1 Like

You can easily get a set of sub70 irons for around $500.

From there you can keep using them for wedges, hybrids and woods or you can just buy used stuff.

I like the sub70 route for irons and the 699 are good enough to play long term with enough forgiveness to learn on… they can also be custom built in case he isn’t in a standard length / lie…

Used woods are plentiful on eBay… highly recommend demoing different weight and flex shafts at a big box store, figure out what you want shaft wise and then just buy whatever club is attached to the shaft… same process for woods and hybrids.

Putter is a slightly different story, but Cleveland putters for $100 aren’t a bad deal.

I’m happy to walk through more thorough suggestions and do some eBay searches if you want additional help.

1 Like

This is what I was going to recommend too. Sub70 irons/wedges/hybrids and snag some woods and a putter from ebay.

1 Like

Some may disagree with this post, but here are my feelings and thoughts. Depending on your personal circumstances? Does he have a partner that will allow them to play, do they have family commitments and so on? First you said “get back in the game” what exactly does that mean? I’ll pose the question that was posed to me 43 years ago. Does he want to play golf, OR does he want to whack balls? If he wants to play golf, first start with some lessons to see if they WANT TO PLAY GOLF. Playing golf for anyone can become a serious financial commitment. Serious equipment alone can set you back at least $1000 and that’s low end, playing the sport once a week could set you back at least $1200 a year probably way more. I mean last year I didn’t purchase anything except 2 hats and some shoes, grips and 3 shafts plus association fees etc and I played 67 rounds that set me back $3800 and Im a Senior now but that knocked 40% off my green fees at my home base. Let’s see this year I’ve played 2.5 rounds, I dropped $350 for a practice net, launch monitor, mat from this site, $300 in association fees and senior discount card, $150 on range and 2 lessons 3 months in almost a Gnote and I’ve played 45 holes…Thats what I spent not including time. Depending how that question is answered is how your friend should direct himself. Knowing what I know, b4 I even looked at a club fitting, I would hit the lesson avenue first, then get a recommendation from your pro…if someone is only going to play once a month, I don’t know if dropping low end 4 figures would be worth it. So, you could hit ebay and get a really good set of pre-owned Taylormade irons, a nice putter and some metals the whole bag for under $500. They might be 6-10 seasons ago, but that’s an option.

Sub70 699

$560 for 5-aw, $110 for a 286 sand wedge… $130 for a hybrid… so $800 for a 4-sand wedge.

$100 driver on eBay, $100 3 wood on eBay and $100 putter and we are close to golden.

1 Like

This is great. Thanks, Craigers. Any particular driver model that’s worth hunting out on eBay?

1 Like

I was just searching for a 12 degree driver for myself for something else, and prices are wonky right now… The used market is basically higher than I’ve ever seen it…

If your buddy is athletic, he’ll probably want a fairly standard 9-10 degree driver with a stiff shaft, I’d assume in the 60 gram range (this is where I think it’s worth going and demo-ing stuff… I am really finnicky with driver golf shafts)… but you can always go back and buy a new shaft. For drivers, I tend to look at the less popular OEMs, simply because they don’t retain value as well, even if the original club is just as good… PING prices vs Cobra prices are a great example. I ended up buying an Adams driver for $50 (they no longer make clubs).

Cobra LTD
Adams Driver
TaylorMade M4 for comparison

Just to give you a look at the various options out there… I’d MUCH rather him get the “right” shaft in a head from after 2012 then a “great” head with the wrong shaft… I’m fairly confident I can make any driver head work decently, I know I can’t make any shaft work.

Go to Tour Edge web site. Order brand new irons and if they aren’t the right fit he can send them back. They let you try For 30 days and will send you a different set for free or money back. Then fill up the rest of the set with used clubs. Or get a full set of Hot Launch bag and all for 900

1 Like

Tour edge is good. I’d never recommend a “full set” just because they tend to be cheaper quality.

Golf equipment pricing is all over the place right now… pxg irons can be picked up cheap!

Plenty of other good dtc brands as well… new level and Hogan make good products.

Honestly just have him find a decent set of game improvement irons to get him confident hitting the ball again, a driver that fits his eyes, and some wedges that still have a little life left in the grooves. I wouldn’t get locked into any one brand. He’ll work and get his swing back, then if he wants to get more serious go in for a fitting.
Right now it sounds like just getting him out and enjoying the game is the goal, so do that. I love it.

1 Like

100% agree but the used market is weird right now.

Callaway pre owned

This was the only set of game improvement irons with stiff steel shafts for under $500 on Callaway pre owned. Obviously not the cheapest route, but you aren’t going to find a decent set for less than $300 right now…

Now I’m bored and will do some digging…

Global golf hunting:

I like adams.

Graphite mizuno

Value condition srixon

6-gap cobra

At least use the Ping color chart.

If you, uh er ‘yer buddy’ ain’t going to get fit.

1 Like

If he doesn’t care about a brand name, I’d recommend going to GigaGolf.com and build a set that fits his height/grip size/suggested shaft flex for ~$500 (they’ll even give a free bag) and then put the other $500 into a lesson package. Best way to get started the right way IMO.

4 Likes

I got fit for a set of new Ping 410 irons, 5 - SW, last year for around $800. I know that puts him close to the $1K budget before buying a used driver, etc. I’m not an excellent golfer, but last year I learned what a difference fitted clubs make and how important the iron game is to playing well. I played much better from the green back toward the tee last year. This year I’ll be getting fitted woods.

BTW, if he really wants to buy a used set of full clubs, in addition to the 2nd hand golf club stores. He should monitor FB Marketplace, Craigslist, Nextdoor, etc. On these sites golf clubs always seem to pop up for sale.

2 Likes