Clubface Control

@Adamyounggolf and I just released a new episode of the Sweet Spot podcast, and I am really excited about this one. We talk about one of the most important fundamentals of the golf swing and reasonable steps to improve it

9 Likes

Awesome! I’m way behind on my podcast listens, but I look forward to this!

2 Likes

Thanks @jon great episode. I’m so glad to hear the focus on face presentation and some of the quick and long-term fixes you both discussed. There was a time when every time I addressed the golf ball, I knew it was going left (I’m a lefty). The fix for me for many rounds and for actually a couple of years was addressing the ball with my club face closed (think 1 on the clock face)…and it always worked. It was difficult to keep consistent for sure, but much better than spraying everything left.
I’ve finally worked on my swing and changed my grip enough that I now address the ball with a square face…but will still close is slightly at address depending on the day and even where the “good miss” is on that particular shot.
My friends always loved to laugh about my closed club face at address…and I’d only ever heard David Ledbetter once say basically - hey…if it works, it works… Thanks for addressing it!

2 Likes

Thanks! I think it’s an important topic in the golf swing, yet it’s rarely discussed so it’s great to hear your feedback.

@jon,

Can you expand on your own club face control journey.

Specifically how you started to get it dialed in on the range.

I am currently making some technical changes and am doing quite a bit of gate drill (I want to start ball right of target line with draw curve).

1 Like

Honestly, I really can’t explain in words how I did it.

As I mentioned on the show I am paying attention to what the ball is doing and intuitively making adjustments with the knowledge that my clubface orientation at impact is going to be the most important for me in making a functional ball flight.

I think outside of getting technical help on your swing from an instructor, the experimentation part is key. Adam’s suggestion that you have to create a “toolbox” of feels is the best way I could put it into words. But the rest (I suspect this is routed in neurology) is really going to be up to the player to internalize.

Sorry if that didn’t make any sense it’s just hard to put this concept further into words as it pertains to my golf swing. I do a lot of things that I consciously don’t think about.

If you use the target line “toolbox” segment from the show, what were you capable of as a 5 handicap and where are you now

Two way miss off tee in the beginning or just fighting hooks?

Also gate drill? Trackman? Sky trak ? Any measurements or did you dig it out of the dirt

I’d say compared to when I was a 3-5 handicap (especially with driver) I’m probably avoiding the extremes.

Adam mentioned that a degree of being open or closed can make a difference of about 13 yards in accuracy for a 250-yard drive. So while I still miss my targets in both directions, I’m keeping that face perhaps within a closer “window of degrees.” I can still miss big with my driver, it just happens far less often.

I think I just dug it out of the dirt :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

The last 20 minutes of the podcast are really good! I love the actionable practice ideas and how they can correlate to success on the golf course.

Really enjoying listening to you and Adam talk, overall.

Thanks! We’re trying to get better with each episode but the response so far has been tremendous. We’ll have a new this week!

1 Like

Maybe interview parziale, hagestead or nichols

Very interested in hearing more about elite ams

1 Like

We have a lot of ideas for potential guests we can bring on. I think the primary goal right now is to build a library of content and “get our footing” as co-hosts. Thanks for the suggestion I do want to bring elite ams and even pros and ask them some questions about their games that they normally don’t get asked.

3 Likes

10-4.

My one observation is that the content is really enhanced if you have already gone through some of adams content. I realize you guys are creating a foundation, but I do think there will be opportunities to create “advanced” content / discussions (meaning just assume the listener knows the basic concepts in adams courses / practical golf).

At that point you could tell stories that include those foundational concepts as opposed to focusing on explaining the foundational concept.

I am a big fan though and think this is a great collaboration.

2 Likes

That’s a good way to summarize it.

I think the one thing we have to figure out is that there will be people listening who never heard of me (from Adam’s audience) and vice versa. And we’re already hearing from people who have never heard of either of us! So we can’t assume people know certain concepts already. But as you said I think we need to build on things as we go along.

4 Likes

Hopefully I will make the cut at us mid am in 2022 or 2023 and you can interview me!!

3 Likes

Good podcast. I have been working on club path (much better) and now have club face issues to address, which I am working on. I pretty much know what to do to change the club face, but (as you guys mention) you gotta get the feel for it. What I don’t really have any idea how to fix is my strike point on the face. I ALWAYS hit the ball a groove or two low (per the Foresight simulator) and am often at least a little out on the toe (if not a lot). I don’t have a real good idea how to change either of those and would certainly be interested in the same type of info on strike point that you just gave on club face. Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi @CraigFromBend - I may be mistaken, but doesn’t some of the guys’ first podcast cover off differential practice etc- the stuff you are looking for to improve face strike patterns?

If you’re happy to spend a few bucks, I highly recommend @Adamyounggolf Strike Plan. I couldn’t believe I’d been playing golf nearly 40 years and it took the Strike Plan (plus the Practice Manual) for some of the real basics of golf to finally sink in:

2 Likes

I missed that episode but will check it out. Also looking at the Adam Young golf site right now. Thanks!

3 Likes