Club Fitting Myths

A good fitter should be able to pull the true tendencies from the data, observation, and talking with you, getting you into the right set up for your “good” swing.

I think this is an interesting question, and definitely something I’ve thought about…

Overall, I think a good fitter will figure out your variance and work to find the right clubs for you…

But, I think communication plays a huge role… if you are feeling confined by the space, stiff or just a little hungover, you need to speak up.

My fitting started with me hitting my own 7 iron multiple times. (Do I need to mention @greg_g again? A good fitter is a must. Greg is a good fitter). This built a baseline of what my current clubs do, as well as establishing what I CAN do… Greg took those as base numbers for the fitting and figured out how to improve them.

It wasn’t just “what works now” it was “what works vs your current setup”

From there we found what produced the best numbers with my original clubs as a baseline.

Fitting is more art than science… I think all fitters bring their own biases to the bay, and the players don’t make it any easier …

I’m confident a good fitter will put you in clubs that work better for you… But that doesn’t mean they will put you in the best possible clubs…

Greg is amazing people. Great to hear he’s getting involved.

1 Like

Same problem here. I’m in southern Delaware, 3 hours from Philly by car. Golf Galaxy and 2nd Swing advertise heavily around here, but very few, if any, others. Any recommendations for good fitters?

Fit this morning

T100s on the way :slight_smile:

I hit a variety of clubs in “players distance” and “players iron” category

Standard length

1.5 degrees flat

Stiff shafts

Carrying 7 iron 10 yds further (170 vs. 160), not sure how much of that is from the lofts

1 Like

The biggest surprise for me was that while the apex and t200 felt a touch more forgiving, on the numbers it didn’t make a huge difference

Mishits were about a 10 yd penalty regardless of feel

P770 and t100s had the best launch, spin numbers for me with about equal forgiveness on mishits

I asked the fitter “t100 feels best when i hit it in the center of the face and i love the look, am i giving up anything by not playing something that is more forgiving?”

He said no which made the decision pretty easy

Also, got fit at the same course I am taking lessons. Both my fitter and the guy I take lessons from taught under chuck cook so he knew what i am working on (1/2 knuckle stronger, more rotation, more shallowing) which had us biased towards flat lie angle

Glad you had a good experience. Now the hard part, waiting for the new sticks!

Yes, he said this has been the best year on record for the club manufactures.

2-6 weeks and its a total crapshoot on how long

Nick is also great… He saved me $250 at least today.

Well not a full fitting, but I’ve booked a Gap Analysis session at True Spec Golf in Beverly Hills in a few weeks (that place is busy apparently!). We’ll spend an hour+ with just my own bag, get all the distances and swing data, plus checks on the loft/lie, swing weight, shaft frequency, and etc. for the clubs. Never had all that info about my swing and sticks before, so I’m looking forward to it!

2 Likes

Enjoy it! Seems like one of those things everyone should do but no one does… like going to the dentist

1 Like

If my dentist had a GC Quad in the office that I could use, I’d be there a lot more often.

3 Likes

I did the online fitting (can’t remember which outfit) and they said, go with “Standard” ladies’ clubs. So I guess the stock clubs I have from various brands, should be OK, until I have a consistent swing - I do hit straight, but seem to top and undercut the ball too often. I do wonder about PUTTER fitting however, it is the biggest weakness in my game so far

1 Like

Putter fitting went great for me, if you can find someone good it’s definitely worth it.

If you are happy with the rest of the set, I wouldn’t get to caught up in it…

Learning a LOT here, thanks. I enjoy hearing from experienced golfers! I started WAY too old, to make every mistake myself, LOL

1 Like

I’ve been golfing for 20+ years and got fit for a putter on Wednesday… there is always more to learn, but it’s great to be here and learn!

So excited for a fitting session I’ve got booked tomorrow evening! Looking for my first ever set of new irons. Always had 2nd hand before. Knowing Custom Lab Golf I expect I’ll be blown away again by how much difference a top fitter can make.
These guys are in serious demand. 18 August I booked my appointment for 6 October!

5 Likes

Hope the fitting went well!

Not sure if anyone has asked this already, but does anyone know if club fitters have access to older model clubs? I’d like to get fitted, but I’d almost prefer getting a year old version of a club vs paying top dollar for the newest (if the performance was similar). I’m just not sure if that’s possible at a fitting. I’d assume they’d be fitting and selling clubs new to the market. Thank in advance