This post is to help other amateur golfers who are wondering about club fitting. Club fitting is not only for pros or good golfers.
- Club fitting does not mean creating custom forged clubs that cost thousands of $$$ just for you.
- Club fitting does mean finding clubs that match your swing type, speed, etc. Then your new clubs are assembled from standard pieces (e.g. shaft type & length, head angle, etc.) based on your fitting.
- Club fitting does not cost extra (at least in my experience). But it has to be done before ordering.
- Why would you not get a fitting and still buy a nice set of irons/woods.
- I owned off-the-shelf golf sets for a long time, but with my custom fit Ping irons my shots go a little further, are more consistent, and have less dispersion.
One caveat: you probably want to have a relatively consistent swing before getting fit. Not perfect, just consistent. I took a round of lessons with my pro before getting fit. This way he understood my swing better and I was more consistent.
Do I still hit bad shots and have bad dawn the course? Yep, but my bad shots are generally more straight and have more distance.