Club Fitting Myths

Are you near Pittsburgh. If so Club Champion has an awesome staff.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I’ll check them out.

I really liked the 770 (coming from someone who did not like p790)

Ended up going t100. A little less forgiving but I could not resist the sex appeal

I have a recurrence Complaint with Fitters. I have had numerous “Fittings” for my Driver over the years.

About 1/2 the time the Fitting Studio doesn’t have the ability to set the Tee height; at even a similar height I use on the Course. So my numbers, usefulness of a Tee height 1/2”- 3/4” becomes barely useful IMO and I doubt this happens when any pro takes a Fitting.

And usually the same golf store I am fitting in, sells a variety of Tees, no more than 50 feet from the very expensive Simulator; for a couple bucks. But do they leave a couple beside the Fitting area Nope.

1 Like

If your fitter can’t get you in the right tee height, you should probably get fit elsewhere…

Last driver fitting I did the second conversation we had was tee height… the first was him pulling the brand of ball i play.

There is no licensing to be a golf fitter! You have to find someone who you can work with and trust they know what they are doing… if they aren’t replicating your real world setup, they are just wasting time.

I told my fitting story for my driver above but can’t reiterate the benefits enough.

Played with someone this past weekend who I was equal with off the tee, he got new driver and was ahead of me, i got fit for a new driver and now I’m wayyy past him.

Go. Get. Fit.

Irons if you know loft/lie/length you can probably get 80% there on trying out clubs on your own. Driver there is NO WAY you can do it on your own.

1 Like

Eh, with enough trial and error you can get pretty close… I’ve spent a few years honing in my driver fit and went to a ping fitting figuring they could hand me something better…

My home brew fitting outperformed their options… but I know my swing, know the technology and tinkered until I got it right.

Playing cobra Ltd pro and an aldila silver 110 70x

Still get fit! I’m just a crazy person…

1 Like

Maybe I should rephrase - unless you have ability to get and swap out a lot of shafts and clubheads and know the technology and nuances, go get fit!

Within 3 swings he knew my driver was way off. Within 20 minutes we had a perfect fit. I got to use the rest of the hour to hit every club in my bag on trackman to level set yardages. Win Win Win

2 Likes

As I said, I’m a crazy person… my setup definitely isn’t perfect, but it’s probably within 20%

My next step is probably a wildly expensive shaft, so yeah me!

I’d still like to get fit for driver… I’d love to know more about where I can improve…

What does the fitter say when you ask to use your own tees? That’s just bizarre.

Today is the day. My coach finally believes I’m ready for club fitting. Super excited. Wish me luck.

6 Likes

Yes!!! Enjoy it. Fittings are so much fun. Have a blast, soak in the info, ask lots of questions, trust your fitter. So stoked for you.

Looking forward to hearing about it! Expectations vs reality…

Fitted into the mizuno jpx 921 hot metal pros with kbs 115 tapered lite shafts 2° right minus 1/2 inch length causing 1.5° upright. Super stoked, I’ve never seen my ball flight like it does off of these.

3 Likes

Awesome! Always fun to get some new toys. Especially ones that are appropriate for your swing :smiley:

1 Like

I’m super excited. I can’t wait to add them to my bag. The hardest part now, is the waiting. Three weeks :smirk:

1 Like

Three weeks isn’t bad! I had to wait 10 for my driver. Absolute torture.

Glad you got great results!! Lower scores ahead!

2 Likes

Mizuno makes quality stuff, and their build quality on custom sets is awesome… Glad to hear you liked the experience and pulled the trigger on some new irons. I’m sure you will enjoy them!

Waiting is always the hard part! Hopefully it’s a short 3 weeks.

1 Like

10 weeks?! Holy crap I’d go nuts.

1 Like

Hey Mike look up Golf Specialtees in Pittsburgh. 2nd generation builder and fitter. Can do it all