Club Fitting Myths

Yes!!! Enjoy it. Fittings are so much fun. Have a blast, soak in the info, ask lots of questions, trust your fitter. So stoked for you.

Looking forward to hearing about it! Expectations vs realityā€¦

Fitted into the mizuno jpx 921 hot metal pros with kbs 115 tapered lite shafts 2Ā° right minus 1/2 inch length causing 1.5Ā° upright. Super stoked, Iā€™ve never seen my ball flight like it does off of these.

3 Likes

Awesome! Always fun to get some new toys. Especially ones that are appropriate for your swing :smiley:

1 Like

Iā€™m super excited. I canā€™t wait to add them to my bag. The hardest part now, is the waiting. Three weeks :smirk:

1 Like

Three weeks isnā€™t bad! I had to wait 10 for my driver. Absolute torture.

Glad you got great results!! Lower scores ahead!

2 Likes

Mizuno makes quality stuff, and their build quality on custom sets is awesomeā€¦ Glad to hear you liked the experience and pulled the trigger on some new irons. Iā€™m sure you will enjoy them!

Waiting is always the hard part! Hopefully itā€™s a short 3 weeks.

1 Like

10 weeks?! Holy crap Iā€™d go nuts.

1 Like

Hey Mike look up Golf Specialtees in Pittsburgh. 2nd generation builder and fitter. Can do it all

Still waiting on my new toys to arrive. Ordered 6 October. Covid is having a material affect on supply. Hoping to get the new irons and hybrids this weekend. :grin:

2 Likes

I was fitted for Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro irons last week and ended up with the stock shaft and standard lie angle. This was after trying about 5 different shafts, 1 degree up angle, and the regular Mizuno Hot Metal (larger) club head.

These clubs were 20 yards longer than my 15-year old Callaway X-Forged irons with their Dynamic Gold 300S shafts. When my 7-iron started carrying 140 yards, (10 less than normal) that was the straw that broke the camelā€™s back so Iā€™m working on my technique (with lessons), working out, and got a hot-faced iron with lighter shafts. Iā€™m looking forward to having more fun in 2021.

5 Likes

Friday excitement just as I close the work laptop for the week. Just took call from the club fitter. Collecting new irons and hybrids 08.45 tomorrow. Woo hoo!

Then Iā€™ve a comp 11.12. Oh, what to do - play the new clubs with practically zero practice, ā€˜acclimatisingā€™ or distance calibration. Or play old clubs? Good problem to have :grinning:

1 Like

I think this comes down to expectations and your personalityā€¦ if you put up a bad round cold with the new irons will you still play them? If it might shake your confidence in them, get acclimatedā€¦

Personally, Iā€™d play them, but I acclimate to new clubs pretty quickly.

Will - there is no question Iā€™ll be playing them. I can stand a bad round. Just as likely to suffer a bad round with current setup :laughing: Iā€™ll report back

1 Like

Enjoy them. Score well tomorrow!

Iā€™m counting down the days until the kids are back in school and I can road trip to Nashville to get fit for my putter.

Iā€™m not sure if this is the year I fully overhaul my bag or if Iā€™ll just keep doing piecemeal replacementsā€¦ might just go hybrid and three wood (and possibly a wedge update due to groove wear)

Update on the 3+4 hybrids I was custom fitted October 2020 - after going through swing changes Q1 this year I canā€™t hit them. Trying to close the face requires so much mental intent itā€™s what I imagine wrestling a snake could be like. Even setting up with the face closed doesnā€™t affect the slicey outcome.

I notice there are 3x interlocking adjustment rings at the hosel. How safe is it to experiment with the adjustments vs going back to the fitter vs maybe the clubs donā€™t fit my swing any longer? Now loading up YouTubeā€¦

As I write this it sounds completely bonkers. Just got to rotate my L wrist (rev the motorbike) to close the face?! Tried it with a bucket of balls. Find it excessively difficult.

They are there for you to adjust themā€¦ nothing wrong with itā€¦

Iā€™d worry more about your path if you are slicing the ballā€¦ try to get your swing more inside.

1 Like

I would play with the hosel adapter and see what happens. I think a more closed face and upright light can help although every club still needs a decent swing.

I was struggling with the slice (driver) and push cut (irons) earlier this year. As a former hooker I tend to start holding on to the club too much in fear of the left. I hit the range (and my backyard net) working on making a good turn and releasing the club. I would exaggerate practice swings setting up with the clubface wide open, super weak grip and making a swing to get it square. Itā€™s helped as I have been killing the driver, woods and hybrid. The irons are still a work in progress though.

2 Likes

Not sure my swing path is the issue as following my swing changes this year Iā€™ve gone from slicing to hook. To be sure I need to get some 240fps video footage. Likely my old tendencies to over rotate, lose form, transition too quick with a weak/cupped L wrist are involved. Did some research today. Those clubs are top rated with many ā€œthese are so easy to hitā€ comments! Take those comments with a good pinch of salt obviously.

Oh yeah and definitely be checking the hosel / Optifit settings when I get home. Hoping to find a silver bullet :laughing:

What are your recommendations?

Iā€™m 30 and started golfing 3 years ago. I bought Strata clubs off Facebook marketplace at the time and they have served me well, but the 6 iron and 3 wood are broke and itā€™s about time for a new set.

While Iā€™m about a 20 handicap and not very good, I purchased a Mevo+ and built an indoor simulator which Iā€™ve been using 3-4 times a week. Itā€™s hard to get on the course with 4 kids.

Anyways, in an ideal world i could get fitted and purchase a new set, but unfortunately I donā€™t have $1500 set aside. However, I also donā€™t love the idea of getting fitted and buying online.

What would yā€™all recommend? What are some options?

Iā€™d love for these clubs to last me the next decade- so Iā€™d like to do it right the first time but money is a factor. Iā€™ve also considered going Takomo due to the affordability and rave reviews, but that would entail skipping the fitting process.