Club Fitting Myths

What does the fitter say when you ask to use your own tees? That’s just bizarre.

Today is the day. My coach finally believes I’m ready for club fitting. Super excited. Wish me luck.

6 Likes

Yes!!! Enjoy it. Fittings are so much fun. Have a blast, soak in the info, ask lots of questions, trust your fitter. So stoked for you.

Looking forward to hearing about it! Expectations vs reality…

Fitted into the mizuno jpx 921 hot metal pros with kbs 115 tapered lite shafts 2° right minus 1/2 inch length causing 1.5° upright. Super stoked, I’ve never seen my ball flight like it does off of these.

3 Likes

Awesome! Always fun to get some new toys. Especially ones that are appropriate for your swing :smiley:

1 Like

I’m super excited. I can’t wait to add them to my bag. The hardest part now, is the waiting. Three weeks :smirk:

1 Like

Three weeks isn’t bad! I had to wait 10 for my driver. Absolute torture.

Glad you got great results!! Lower scores ahead!

2 Likes

Mizuno makes quality stuff, and their build quality on custom sets is awesome… Glad to hear you liked the experience and pulled the trigger on some new irons. I’m sure you will enjoy them!

Waiting is always the hard part! Hopefully it’s a short 3 weeks.

1 Like

10 weeks?! Holy crap I’d go nuts.

1 Like

Hey Mike look up Golf Specialtees in Pittsburgh. 2nd generation builder and fitter. Can do it all

Still waiting on my new toys to arrive. Ordered 6 October. Covid is having a material affect on supply. Hoping to get the new irons and hybrids this weekend. :grin:

2 Likes

I was fitted for Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro irons last week and ended up with the stock shaft and standard lie angle. This was after trying about 5 different shafts, 1 degree up angle, and the regular Mizuno Hot Metal (larger) club head.

These clubs were 20 yards longer than my 15-year old Callaway X-Forged irons with their Dynamic Gold 300S shafts. When my 7-iron started carrying 140 yards, (10 less than normal) that was the straw that broke the camel’s back so I’m working on my technique (with lessons), working out, and got a hot-faced iron with lighter shafts. I’m looking forward to having more fun in 2021.

5 Likes

Friday excitement just as I close the work laptop for the week. Just took call from the club fitter. Collecting new irons and hybrids 08.45 tomorrow. Woo hoo!

Then I’ve a comp 11.12. Oh, what to do - play the new clubs with practically zero practice, ‘acclimatising’ or distance calibration. Or play old clubs? Good problem to have :grinning:

1 Like

I think this comes down to expectations and your personality… if you put up a bad round cold with the new irons will you still play them? If it might shake your confidence in them, get acclimated…

Personally, I’d play them, but I acclimate to new clubs pretty quickly.

Will - there is no question I’ll be playing them. I can stand a bad round. Just as likely to suffer a bad round with current setup :laughing: I’ll report back

1 Like

Enjoy them. Score well tomorrow!

I’m counting down the days until the kids are back in school and I can road trip to Nashville to get fit for my putter.

I’m not sure if this is the year I fully overhaul my bag or if I’ll just keep doing piecemeal replacements… might just go hybrid and three wood (and possibly a wedge update due to groove wear)

Update on the 3+4 hybrids I was custom fitted October 2020 - after going through swing changes Q1 this year I can’t hit them. Trying to close the face requires so much mental intent it’s what I imagine wrestling a snake could be like. Even setting up with the face closed doesn’t affect the slicey outcome.

I notice there are 3x interlocking adjustment rings at the hosel. How safe is it to experiment with the adjustments vs going back to the fitter vs maybe the clubs don’t fit my swing any longer? Now loading up YouTube…

As I write this it sounds completely bonkers. Just got to rotate my L wrist (rev the motorbike) to close the face?! Tried it with a bucket of balls. Find it excessively difficult.

They are there for you to adjust them… nothing wrong with it…

I’d worry more about your path if you are slicing the ball… try to get your swing more inside.

1 Like

I would play with the hosel adapter and see what happens. I think a more closed face and upright light can help although every club still needs a decent swing.

I was struggling with the slice (driver) and push cut (irons) earlier this year. As a former hooker I tend to start holding on to the club too much in fear of the left. I hit the range (and my backyard net) working on making a good turn and releasing the club. I would exaggerate practice swings setting up with the clubface wide open, super weak grip and making a swing to get it square. It’s helped as I have been killing the driver, woods and hybrid. The irons are still a work in progress though.

2 Likes