Club Fitting Experience

I played graphite Aldila something or others shafted irons for a minute, I didn’t like them. I’m sure the technology has changed alot since then. I have listened to a ton of commentary from pretty smart people that if Bryson went to steel shafts and cut them down a bit he would be deadly, the graphites are too inconsistent…but what do Faldo and Azinger know right? The x100’s are really nice, they perform consistently and especially with the 3,4,5 give me a much more penetrating ball flight, my tendency is a high flight, too high, I lowered that by 10-15 ft consistently on the hit. Overall distance is the same, but carry is less, roll is further with the x100. The X has a much higher kickpoint and lower torque, so less spin. My swing creates too much spin and from a distance like 170 out I was not consistent, this helped me stay straighter and basically kept distance. BUT, this is for me, I had to lower trajectory…believe me…I’m old, I lost some distance because of age… I had to make a small change so I wasn’t hitting cream puffs out there. So for me they helped, it had ZERO effect on the swing speed or ball speed I was generating…

On equipment, maybe—and make that ‘probably’, after thinking about it a little—less than Bryson does. You have to admit, even for a pro, Bryson dives into the minutiae of his equipment more than just about anyone. To his detriment, I think. No idea if graphite leads to greater inconsistency or not. (I was interested because of potential vibration dampening, and I don’t need anything that’ll exacerbate my arthritis more than playing golf already does) But I’ll bet Bryson has a better handle on that question than either Sir Nick or 'Zinger.

The lowered, more central ball-flight and greater consistency from a stiffer shaft, is what I’m hoping these demos will show. Ball speed? Ehhh, we all want more speed. But I’d rather have more consistency right now.

My work over the years has led to some arthritis in my hands and fingers. I switched to Jumbo grips and they helped. EZr than triple masking tape under the grip tape. It helped. I’m being honest, I really noticed the lower trajectory, I did not notice distance loss no perception of stiffness change but with my crappy hands I don’t feel like I used too

1 Like

Not sure where your arthritis is, but I have had issues with really sore wrists after playing. I’ve started using weight lifting straps before playing or hitting balls and it’s made a huge difference for me. I just use the ones I use for strength-training…they were like $10 at any pharmacy. They may look odd while golfing, but I really don’t care since they help prevent the pain mostly.

1 Like

I’ll try that. I’ve pretty bad psoriasis, and it occasionally flares into joint pain on top of it. (The lesions are often at lividity/poorer circulation points. Like joints. I’ve roughly 8-10X the proportion of eosinophils I should. My body basically hates me.) The steroids I use to manage it, don’t play nice with the Sun, hence the avid sunscreen interest.

So I tried thicker grips to help with the hand pain I sometimes get after mishits. Or the hilarious overswinging I seem to be doing too. Feels a little better. The wraps will likely help, thanks.

So. Demos. I have a full bag demo set up next Sunday with the Callaway guy I mentioned. Already let him/her know I am looking really (if at all: more on that in a sec) at maybe Driver and wedge. Which they don’t do, so whole bag it is.

For the “if at all”, I just did a swing evaluation at Golftec. Had a blast. They speak my language. (Hit if off with the Aggie pro, when I mentioned drills at home from 4-position shooting. I.e., I’m used to, “Get your body in this position, for these reasons, and you’ll do better. Right now, you’re here, and you could be there”) Build solid foundation of this, this and that, with drills and things to look for, since ‘feel ain’t real’, and we’ll build on that.

I have a 8 degree out to in, over-the-top downswing path exceeded only by my 45 past parallel arm-dominated backswing. And I still hit the ball with 120 mph of ball speed and 7700 rpm on a 7-iron. No wonder everything is going left. At least my launch is lower than it was…despite some hilarious looking flipping at impact.

Anyway, I liked the idea of weekly lessons for 10 weeks, 90 minutes per week of independent video hitting practice in their bay, and a “fitting”.

Surprised I liked it as much as I did. As for the new positions, “Feels weird, Man.” But then (Thank You, Adam Young.) I already knew it was going to.

3 Likes

That’s pretty great. Like I said in my original response to the original poster. It’s a mechanical problem. You have to break bad habits or swing moves and replace them with proper moves. JJ–You generate incredible swing speed and could probably dial that down just a titch to get rid of feeling weird so it won’t feel weird when the ball flight, distance and accuracy becomes more consistent and most likely match your current distance, then full well know you got some more in the gas tank if you gotta call on it! Get the shovel and dig. Not that you’re ever on a wrong path, but now you’re on the correct (swing) path. Good luck and I don’t know what Callaways you’re hitting but I’m interested to see what u think, I hit the Rogues. They were midsize and we’re very nice, BUT, loft for loft, the couple of yards were not worth $899 it was like buy them and give up 4 months of golf for new clubs. Not within my budget. Good Luck and ty for that update.

1 Like

You are a true golf nut/warrior, dedicated to the game even with the ailments.
I have over used my body for more than 4 decades of “digging the dirt”; mostly from impact shock from driving range mat . My right hand palm mid-back and neck, and the 5 fingers which grip the golf club ( middle, ring and small fingers on the left and the middle and ring finger on the right ) all are paying the price now.
A few guys started golfing after retirement ( less than 15 years of playing the game ) all have some sort of issue with their joints.
Proper diet and resting is the only way to delay the process.
I met a live long golfer ( handicap index 2 ),sometime ago with his hands looking like chicken claws ( Rheumatoid Arthritis ). No longer able to hold on to a golf club but he is still around golf activities.

1 Like

Yes, that’s a lot of speed for your condition.
I’d imagine you are ( were) very athletic and have a frame taller /larger than the average guys. Only if you understand the relationship of your body to the golf swing, I’d bet you could get similar ball speed with less effort.

1 Like

The topical steroids help, as does RICE and anti-inflammatories. The new tailored biologics (synthetic antibodies, basically) are a Godsend. They’re also pricey-as-F, and insurance hates covering them. (No wonder Phil’s so interested about playing in Saudi, LOL.)

That is the idea. At least more consistent low point control and face to path control.

I’m not big, per se, 6’ 250, trying to get lighter. Nor am I long and lanky in that 6’. But i evidently use the ground well and get lots of arc length (through swaying, bending the left arm a bit more than I should). The swing speed work with the monitor has evidently paid off.

I think they’re going to be demoing the new Rogue line throughout. Interested primarily in the Apex 21 DCB—I think, though any of that line looks interesting. And the new Rogue ST drivers. Probably the Max, though I want to hit a trip diamond Rogue ST for giggles. Jaws in the wedges. Who knows?

The demo pro’s the pro here, not me. I’ll see what they say. Definitely not buying much of anything, given this new address position he wants me in (and he’s totally right, judging by the video) has me addressing the club with its toe in the air a tad. I think new shafts for these clubs are coming sooner than later…

Your frame and weight is bigger than the average guy. Given that, the ball speed you could generate with your swing path meant you were going after the golf ball.
I’m on the other hand, on the petite end of the average guy. Have not measured my driver swing speed recently, but a decade ago was 108 swinging out of my shoes. At closer to 70 I’m still able to carry the driver over 230 on the average. But it sure would be much easier if I have a taller/ larger frame.
Don’t over swing, find a good instructor who will tune your golf swing. It can NOT be hurried, so once a week seemed too close together for your lessons. Don’t let anyone tell you to dig into your next meal before you could finish and digest your current one.
Hurrying/ rushing into your impact will also cause the Out To In swing path. swaying and lost your pivot point is another possible cause…
A band Aide cure for your issue is, keep your left shoulder at the target as long as possible through the impact before finishing with your chest to the target; you could not come over the shot if you do that.
It’s a Band Aide fix, so listen to your Pro. Observe your progress and evaluate the lesson. Not everyone with the teaching credential knows how to transmit their knowledge to their students. A top rated teacher may or may not match every student they come across. Their lesson fee will definitely be higher ( and they earned the rate , to be able to sustain it ), otherwise, there be a fee schedule but not able to fill their time slot.

1 Like

Oh, I know it’s going to be an involved process. Related to that, second lesson, my coach was surprised that I hadn’t hit balls in the intervening week. I told him that, "You gave me three drills and four keys, and only one of them had anything to do with hitting a ball. (Brush back a second ball placed back two club head lengths back and one ball width inside, and have that second ball go straight back.) “If I beat balls, I’ll just get back to my old habits, instead of what you taught me.”

Surprised him. Also I surprised him that I practiced and that I did what he told me to. I figure, and said, “I’m paying you all this money because you’re the expert here. If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn’t need to hire you. But I do.”

Related to bad habits resurfacing, asked about going to the Callaway demo, he said fine, have fun. Which I did, and is the real point of this post. Mike, you were right about the X100s. He wanted me to try X7s, but they didn’t have any, and it’s not a shaft he fits people into without them trying it.

Love, love loved the DCBs, standard length, 2 upright, with X100. Still ridiculously high launch, but I explained that I flip, for now, and we haven’t gotten to that part of the lessons yet. Massive spin and height. Beautiful feel and tight dispersion. Tiny divots with the 7-iron. More in a sec.

I guess, the drills you were given were to lower your take away. He must helt that your take away was too up-right.
Without knowing your swing, I itch to say, have you tried the S-400 instead of the X-100 ?
I used to be a picker for the irons long ago. Until I learned to go through instead of flipping. That turned mostly 5-8 yards fade to a mostly straight ball flight.
Too bad, when one understand some of the basics, the time could not turn back. It’s like when the dark room is finally illuminated with light, while the vision got weaker.
A basic drill I was given was to place a second ball 1"-2" in front of the target ball and try to send both on the same line. Was using 8 iron and that drill worked for me. If you do it correctly, the first ball would have lift off before you hit the second ball. It forced me to have the club head travel a bit longer online.

1 Like

Swing way too upright and arm-dominated, with takeaway too inside, too early. Way too long backswing—and we’re now working on that—with early extension and flipping at impact… Currently, my AoA at impact for my SW is like 0 degrees. I put a hilarious amount of loft on the club, and the new wedge face obliged, with some big spin loft and descent angles near 60. It’s just a touch excessive…LOL.

So, subsequent lessons are going to fix all that. Baby steps. But I asked at the outset about trying S300 or 400, and the fitter was like LOL, No. The X100 felt great. Like really long scalpels. I knew where the head was at all times, turf interaction was crisp, with a small divot on the 7I, and launch was consistent and still a bit higher than we wanted. Absolutely did not want me in a GI cavity back. But the DCBs had just enough forgiveness to get me where the fitter wanted. OK, you’re the boss.

Tried the triple Diamond Rogue ST driver turned down to 8 degrees, and evidently I took Adam Young’s point a little too close to heart as everything launched high, some finally down in the 2100 RPM range, most higher. Triple diamond head isn’t as tiny as reviewers make it sound. Started in a X Mitsubishi, ended up in a 7.0 Ventus, and it still launched high. 105-108 SS, but I guess my transition is just that abrupt. Less boardy feel than my UST Stiff Proforce “Bumblebee” shafted 905r

It’s a technique thing; I’m not sequencing well in the driver swing like I have in the irons, but I will.

Ended up buying a 52 and 56 (10) bounce Jaws MD5, which’ll be ready whenever. Delicious feel, could chip, hit flops, nuclear full swings that hopped and stopped. Felt great. The rest waits until lessons are through and the swing is stable.

Honestly, the club I liked the most, may have been the Rogue ST 3W, with that Ventus. Launch, control, high far flight with club speed a hair off the driver. Weird. At 800 bucks (the Ventus is a 250 upcharge) it wasn’t getting bought today.

Highly recommend that, if you hear about a club mfgr demo day, you give them a try.

2 Likes

We have OEM demo days two to three times a year, at multiple locations. I tried to avoid the demo days. Those shinning new sticks will always be a temptation, begging to come home with me like a lost puppy !
It kind of funny that your fitter would not let you even try the TTDG S300/400 shaft. His opinion might be correct but as a consumer, you have the right to try out all different options.
A few of the tour caliber golfers were switching from X-100 to S-400, for it is smoother and the little extra weight provides stability for tighter shot dispersion. Some will feel the S-400 s bit stiffer than the X-100.
You sounded like used to be an avid baseball or tennis player.
If you like to read up on golf instruction books, a great one which IMHO is better than the other book of explaining the golf swing Ben Hogan’s “Power Golf”. “The 5 Lessons” is like the K-12, and this is like higher education. In particular, it explained in detail of the relationship between the core and the smaller parts ( arms, hands…).
We often hear weight transfer or move the weight to the front side … not many will actually know the move ; which is explained in the book.
As it is observed in many of the video of Hogan’s golf swing.
The timing is from the “top of the swing” and he stressed the shift should be sooner in iron play than the woods.
Anyways, listen to your instructor as you have paid the tuition; hopefully you will have “enlightenment” , as everything after that point will be almost like automatic, just needs practice.

1 Like

Interesting thought your fitter had about the DGX100’s. I know why I went to them, they definitely provide a bit of a different feeling as I posted above probably 3x. I truly believe that shaft/grip/weight is the key to a solid golf club. I’m not talking about some off the wall, starter set, I’m talking like a set Hogan Edge, or Ping iSi or Titleist DCIs… if you get comfortable with a the look and feel of your clubhead… the tweaks to the rest of a set, if you want to rebuild your set… here’s what I’ll tell you… and this is easy to verify and I’m just going to bring up the EZ pro. TDub used a set of Mizunos to win in 97 and shot what 18 under in 1997, Then went to Titleist in 2000, then went to Nike, now I think he’s in TM. So, 18 under with 25 year old clubhead technology, bombing it by everyone and accuracy… I’m sorry, if you have solid clubheads, with a solid swing… you are going to score. Oh BTW, the shafts all the way thru for TDub? TTDGTour X100s. He might know something…LOL

1 Like

Same thing I experienced as you described. I think the fitter was just desperate to get the flight down any way he could, and I wasn’t complaining about the feel of the Xs. I’m sure he’d have let me try the S shafts if I’d wanted, but these felt great. I probably overstated upthread his feeling about the S shafts not working, but not by much. I was having a ball, he was giggling at some of the weird numbers that Trackman was showing, and I think he’d have had me try the X7s in either X or TX, or the X-100s in TX, f they had any of those.

Wish I could’ve gotten a dump of the numbers from Trackman, as well as the specific wood shafts I was using. Liked that Ventus 7 Black in X-stiff quite a bit. Way less boardy than my ostensibly less stiff bumblebee.

On your point on feel, and clubheads, a couple of comments. I agree with what you wrote. Really curious how the i3+ heads I have now, would feel bent up 2 degrees, and with a standard length X-100 in them. Or whether, after these 10 lessons are done, and the changes incorporated, whether I only need 1 degree of bend. Or 3. Currently, they’re Std, 0 degrees. The new Jaws will be 2 degrees upright, but those can be bent pretty easily if need be.

Further, if I could match the swingweight of what I was demoing, and have that sloping swingweight from 1W to SW, that has been discussed at GolfWRX. (Get the longest club set up where you like it. Find its swingweight. Get the shortest club and ditto. Plot those on a graph. Try to get each in-between club to fall on that line.) I don’t even know what the sw on these i3 clubs even is.

I agree that I may not even want to buy another set. But the existing shafts are going out. And that certainly was a nifty driver and 3W.

1 Like

Here’s what I’ll tell you. Try ure 7i. Put the x100 shaft in and manipulate the club like u want. Obviously swing weight can be adjusted with lead tape or also at the butt end, we used to tape Pennies on the end of the shaft. It’s some trial and error with your wedges, I find it fun to manipulate stuff until I get it just right. Then I don’t mess with it. But see how that 7 iron feels, if u like it do it to the rest of the set. If not u look at buying that new set

1 Like